my spyderco calypso is back

greencobra

NES Member
i misplaced my calypso a few years ago. one from the original run in the '90's. besides my delica edc, the only knife i held back when i sold my spyderco collection. i found the empty box in the safe and knew i didn't sell or give it away cause the box would have gone with it. i liked this knife and was heartbroken. and i never got to use it. yeah, could have replaced it with a sprint run but i wanted this vg-10 version. son of a bitch, i found it the other day when i lifted some paperwork off my computer desk...which is a damn mess. it's still in new condition, i've never even used it. here it is in the light again. and the second pic is the caly nestled back in it's box.
caly1 (2).jpg caly02.jpg

LOL, you need to keep your desk less cluttered. ;) For few years I carried a Spyderco Calypso JR - nice knife: I lost it at one point when I snagged some bushes along the edge of my driveway and found it a couple of months later when the leaves dropped off the bushes! I thought it was odd there was a piece of colored string in the bush. I always have some short lanyards on my pocket knives just so it is easier to determine which end is which and to locate it quicker instead of using the pocket clip. Shortly after find it, I removed the pocket clips and been going the route of my EDC being a lint catcher.

BTW, I see you are a lefty, too.

BTW, I see you are a lefty, too
no, i'm not.

Tip down. That's just crazy
I carry right, tip up. this set up is the way it came. sometimes from spyderco, the designer feels it's advantageous to position the clip a certain way. most come tip up, right hand. I have one eric did and I had to reposition the clip. at the moment I can't remember what knife it is [angry] i'll have to look. this knife was never used, or carried for that matter.

wait...

You lost your knife a few years ago - on your desk - under paperwork?

That's hilarious.

EDIT - No, it's hilarious that you're admitting it. And ballsy too. Reps for that.

Sorry my bad, GC ….. you are not a lefty. I be :confused:.

Tip down is the ONLY way I would carry a folding knife IF I was using a pocket clip UNLESS I knew the blade was so darn tight that it would never ever pull open on the draw. Higher end knives or even custom made knives it doesn't matter.

You lost your knife a few years ago - on your desk - under paperwork?

That's hilarious.
haha, yeah, pretty freakin' sad. and even sadder, found this gold coin with it. i should do my spring cleaning early this year. shame on me!

coin (2).jpg

Nice looking knife. Funny how that happens with these knives. Misplaced my Spyderco Tenacious about a month ago. It would almost never leave my car. Where do they go? It's like one of these days I'm going to find a pile of socks and my EDC items somewhere around my house.

My dad used to have a big work bench in the basement that was a foot deep with... stuff. Electrical and mechanical parts, wires, fasteners, gadgets, containers, tools, etc. A mixture of trash and treasure, with not quite useful junk making up the bulk of it. I did fish my grandfather’s old busted Omega chronograph from the 50s out of it though, and had it restored.

i'm a pig, i admit it. for comic relief, i'll take a pic for ya's. keep in mind it's mostly cleaned up now...sorta. i'm picking up the loose candy wrappers now while typing this with the other hand. i don't expose my real persona often so you're in for a treat!
Can't wait to see those! lol

alright, here's my desk after a quick clean up. you didn't think i'd let you all see it fully involved now, did you? and don't judge.

20181231_202145_resized_1 (1).jpg

and a couple of glock +2 mag extenders, you can see the plastic bag behind the water. it's like a treasure chest. so far..
-knife
-gold coin
-fishing reel
-mag extenders
going in deeper tomorrow.

Tip down carry.... eh... no thanks... I hate that setup. My fav carry knife is my Ontario RAT I SP. It can be adjusted to accommodate lefties or righties, tip up or down. I thrash the shit out of it and it's going strong - has been for years. It outperforms Benchmades I have that cost literally 5X more.

I challenge anyone to find me a better knife for 40 bucks...

It can be adjusted to accommodate lefties or righties, tip up or down.
gonna guess you're not familiar with the spyderco line. this knife is made so you can carry it tip up or down, left side or right. good for you you're enjoying your rat!

gonna guess you're not familiar with the spyderco line. this knife is made so you can carry it tip up or down, left side or right. good for you you're enjoying your rat!

I don't see screw holes to relocate the clip on that knife. How would one reorient it to be tip up carry... meaning the clip has to screw into the bottom of the handle - where there are no threaded holes for it?

Sorry my bad, GC ….. you are not a lefty. I be :confused:.

Tip down is the ONLY way I would carry a folding knife IF I was using a pocket clip UNLESS I knew the blade was so darn tight that it would never ever pull open on the draw. Higher end knives or even custom made knives it doesn't matter.
You have never heard of the Emerson wave... Spyderco has it on many of their knives. [banana]

Yeah, my brother in-law had just gotten an new folder with the wave feature on it and demonstrated it to me by slicing the side of his shorts open with it!!! o_O:confused: I thought it was pretty funny and am glad he didn't slice his leg open!

A lot of liner locks detents to me are NOT tight enough and the blades pop open in my pocket.

You don't expect for an $$ Benchmade North Fork Axis-lock folder: removed pocket clip with lanyard on it inside of my work pants. The blade opened up on me more times than I care to remember. That reminds me I need to remove the thumb studs all together and see it that will stop it from opening up.

I'm kinda OCD - that would drive me crazy.

BUT - that's YOUR desk not mine. Keep excavating, let us know what else you find.
believe it when i tell you me also, but with certain things. the knives in the lower right are usually lined up like little soldiers. they're not there probably cause my hand bumped them while using the mouse. books, cd's, all lined up perfectly. somehow can't be bothered with misc. stuff.

i think i'm pretty well mined out here. at the very bottom was a clipboard with transfer paperwork from several lowers i bought several months before 8/20 so that was a score if i ever sell one and the buyers looking for "proof."

a cabinet on top here looks interesting. i see a standard and metric allen wrench set poking out from a coffee cup.
Has to be staged??!!
well it was, i did a quick clean before the shot, i mentioned that. i'm not letting you all into my personal life altogether. had to move a few things that were sitting on top to keep it a little private.

I started carrying a Calypso Jr about a month ago and really like it. I have had a Dragonfly in my right front pocket for over 10 years, but my teenage son asked at Thanksgiving if he could have it. When I told him I would buy him one, he said he would much rather have mine. Now we're both Spyderco guys.

Back
Top Bottom