• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

My sleepy little town, not so sleepy anymore.

icyclefar

NES Member
My sleepy little town, not so sleepy anymore. [shocked]

Man arrested in apartment shooting
By Phil Salisbury/ Staff Writer
Thu Aug 20, 2009, 04:44 PM EDT

SHARON - Sharon Police arrested a man on charges of kidnapping and assault with a dangerous weapon after three shots were fired in a Hixson Farm Road apartment Saturday night.

The department received a 911 call at 10:48 p.m.

“We got a call to the department basically saying ‘hurry up, we need the police,’” said Lt. T. Kaufman of the Sharon Police Department.

Officer Brian Manetta arrested Anthony Gallop, 30, of Massachusetts Avenue in Boston on charges of assault by means of a dangerous weapon, kidnapping, child endangerment, discharging a firearm within 500 feet of a dwelling, carrying a firearm without a license, disorderly person, and disturbing the peace.

No one was injured in the incident.

According to a Sharon Police Department press release, Sgt. Coffey, Officers Mannetta, Penders, Kraus and Derry could hear loud yelling and banging coming from a ground floor apartment upon arrival. After gaining entry, they determined Gallop had fired at least three shots from a handgun while inside the apartment.

“The shots exited the window out back,” said Kaufman, adding that there were no apartments behind the window.

Kaufman said police were still trying to determine ownership of the gun.

According to the release, Gallop was held without bail at the Sharon Police Department and arraigned in Stoughton District Court on Monday. He is being held on $40,000 bail and has a pre-trial hearing for Tuesday, Sept. 15.

Kaufman said an adult male, an adult female, and a 4-year old male were in the apartment along with Gallop at the time of the incident. Kaufman refused to disclose any more details, citing the incident was still under investigation.

Kaufmann said Gallop and the residents of the apartment “were acquaintances”, but declined to give a potential motive, citing that the department is still investigating the incident.

“He did not enter by force,” Kaufman said.

According to the press release, the police seized a pound of marijuana and a small amount of ammunition.

Kaufman said charges related to the seized marijuana might come later.

According to the press releases, Gallop initially told officers his name was Anthony Bodden. Kaufman said he gave his real name quickly.

The police determined Gallop had two arrest warrants. One was out of Boston on charges of assault and battery by means of dangerous weapon, and assault with intent to murder. Erica Gully-Santiago, deputy press director for Suffolk Superior Court, said that Gallop defaulted on that warrant.

The second was a Suffolk Superior Court warrant for witness intimidation. Gully-Santiago said the warrant for witness intimidation was from 1999. She said providing details of the incident would violate CORI laws.

a perfect example of how there is no absolute safety from danger, however, the SPD will probably use this as more "we are douches about the LTCA process" fodder.

According to the press release, the police seized a pound of marijuana and a small amount of ammunition.

Surprised it didn't read the police seized a large quantity of illegal drugs and an weapons cache consisting of small arms and ammunition!

“The shots exited the window out back,” said Kaufman, adding that there were no apartments behind the window.

I guess all is safe? No worries about other houses in the neighborhood?? [rolleyes]

Kaufmann said Gallop and the residents of the apartment “were acquaintances”, but declined to give a potential motive, citing that the department is still investigating the incident.

“He did not enter by force,” Kaufman said.

Smells like a drug deal gone bad. [thinking]

But there is no crime in nice neighborhoods, right? [rofl] Isn't that what folks say all the time? [rolleyes]

The police determined Gallop had two arrest warrants. One was out of Boston on charges of assault and battery by means of dangerous weapon, and assault with intent to murder. Erica Gully-Santiago, deputy press director for Suffolk Superior Court, said that Gallop defaulted on that warrant.

This is so sad. I'm sure he was working to turn his life around...[rolleyes]

carrying a firearm without a license

I wonder if the anti's will notice that this dude was not licensed to have a firearm and just his possession of a pistol is a felony or will they blame the gun instead???

Rhetorical question of course it's the guns fault. To bad the house wasn't a "Gun free zone"

Actually...

I guess all is safe? No worries about other houses in the neighborhood??

Actually, the woods and landscape behind either side of the complex would be pretty safe as far as as errant shot getting past.

"a perfect example of how there is no absolute safety from danger, however, the SPD will probably use this as more 'we are douches about the LTCA process' fodder"

Actually, the town has its share, however smaller than others, of various crimes, both felonious and misdemeanor. My LTC-A experience actually involved Lt. Kaufman, and the statements and assertions bandied about this thread, are way off base in this case. He was fair, reasonable and insightful - which is all one can hope for. I couldn't have hoped for a more pleasant experience, or result.

Actually, the woods and landscape behind either side of the complex would be pretty safe as far as as errant shot getting past.

"a perfect example of how there is no absolute safety from danger, however, the SPD will probably use this as more 'we are douches about the LTCA process' fodder"

Actually, the town has its share, however smaller than others, of various crimes, both felonious and misdemeanor. My LTC-A experience actually involved Lt. Kaufman, and the statements and assertions bandied about this thread, are way off base in this case. He was fair, reasonable and insightful - which is all one can hope for. I couldn't have hoped for a more pleasant experience, or result.

No idea what floor this happened on, but if it was an upper floor, unless there is a small "mountain" as a backstop, it still could endanger people behind it.

As LenS has said a few times, Lts. don't get to make policy. And sometimes Chiefs don't either. They only get to implement whatever policies are set by those above them (mayor, town manager, selectmen, etc.). [e.g. Do you think Comm Davis makes LTC policy for Boston PD or do you think that perhaps Mayor Menino might have some say in what he does? [thinking] Another way of saying this - there have been many Boston Police Commrs, but how much has changed on policy to issue LTC-A ALP over that time??]

go ahead, tell me what you neglected to mention. I would put top dollar on your LTCA is restricted, and if you say it isnt, then I think a snowball just successfully managed to survive a game of catch in hell (or you are lying to prove your "point")

go ahead, tell me what you neglected to mention. I would put top dollar on your LTCA is restricted, and if you say it isnt, then I think a snowball just successfully managed to survive a game of catch in hell (or you are lying to prove your "point")

Not so. Lt. Kaufman was a real gentleman in my interview. He also issued me unrestricted. I have always had positive experiences with the SPD.

Not so. Lt. Kaufman was a real gentleman in my interview. He also issued me unrestricted. I have always had positive experiences with the SPD.

what did the unrestricted take? I know 4 people in Sharon, all with restricted permits, two with reasons beyond "its my right".

I feel your pain.

My town, (Pittsfield) has gone to hell in the last fifteen years, too. There was a gang-related shooting recently across the street from where my buddy and I used to sit and suck down $1.75 hot dog/soda "combos" for lunch in the summer after perusing the second hand comics a few doors down.

what did the unrestricted take? I know 4 people in Sharon, all with restricted permits, two with reasons beyond "its my right".

Honestly, I just went in there and submitted my paperwork and answered all his questions. I wasn't really expecting to get unrestricted. In fact, I half expected to just get a class b downgrade. I heard though that at one time in the past the chief made it a practice to deny all applications for a class A. I didn't know much about the process. I was surprised to get it.

Not really trying to make a point, was just an observation. Heck, I probably just had a lucky day, what do I know? (Just checked to make sure, the license says Restrictions: None.)

I'm brand new at this and have been perusing to try and educate myself regarding what to buy based on some of the comments and prevalent opinions I read... If there is that much "lying to prove your 'point'." going on I guess I should be more cautious in forming my own opinions.

It seems that all of the training they did for the 4th of July fireworks, holding their AR 15's as a show of force, really didn't send a message to a homeboy from da hood- Oh I forgot, he probably didn't see it in the newspaper because he isn't smart enough to know how to read a 6th grade tablet in the first place. If memory serves me correctly, isn't that apartment complex loaded with the elderly? What if the shots went in a different direction, they could have wiped out some of the four legged cows who make awesome milk for the two legged cows who pound down ice cream by the quarts at Crescent Ridge!!!-- MMMOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!

Honestly, I just went in there and submitted my paperwork and answered all his questions. I wasn't really expecting to get unrestricted. In fact, I half expected to just get a class b downgrade. I heard though that at one time in the past the chief made it a practice to deny all applications for a class A. I didn't know much about the process. I was surprised to get it.

Interesting. I will have to tell my friend who owns a pawnshop to go talk to the PD again. They wouldn't even give him an employment restriction the first time around! I would think carrying 10k to buy a boat off smeone would constitute the need tO protect onesself.

Not really trying to make a point, was just an observation. Heck, I probably just had a lucky day, what do I know? (Just checked to make sure, the license says Restrictions: None.)

I'm brand new at this and have been perusing to try and educate myself regarding what to buy based on some of the comments and prevalent opinions I read... If there is that much "lying to prove your 'point'." going on I guess I should be more cautious in forming my own opinions.

Sorry, I tend t have a hard time believing the Sharon PD does something right. It's not you that instilled this feeling, it is the town.

I know of a few people who claim to have "green cards" from Sharon. Having never seen any of these "green cards" myself, I just pass this off as potential information and not fact.

I know a number of people who claim to have unrestricted LTCs from Sharon. What I don't know is if any were initially issued by the current people in power, or if they were treated as "grandfathered" by having previously been issued unrestricted.

I know of a few people who claim to have "green cards" from Sharon. Having never seen any of these "green cards" myself, I just pass this off as potential information and not fact.

I know a number of people who claim to have unrestricted LTCs from Sharon. What I don't know is if any were initially issued by the current people in power, or if they were treated as "grandfathered" by having previously been issued unrestricted.

I am more likely to accept Sharon giving unrestricted A's than green cards, lol!

Back
Top Bottom