• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

my shooting partner has a blatant disregard for firearm safety.

Was at an NES shoot last year. I'm sitting at our table with an AK field stripped: receiver cover off, recoil spring out, bolt carrier/piston rod out, bolt disassembled. I had the receiver in my lap while I was cleaning it. Someone at the table next to ours yells out at me "DON'T SWEEP ME WITH YOUR GUN".

Seems he got nervous when he saw a barrel pointed in his general direction while the firearm was being handled: the disassembled receiver was in my lap while I was rodding it and he couldn't tell the firearm was stripped with a cleaning rod down the barrel. Keep in mind that the firearm was pointed towards the ground while I field stripped it. It was already disassembled and in pieces in my lap when the guy yelled out.

That gave me a chuckle. I just flipped the receiver to point the other way and Charlie Miked. Gun safety is serious business, but douchbaggery is douchbaggery. Common sense, more than not, will suffice. All he had to do was walk the 10ft from his tent to ours and see we were cleaning our field stripped firearms, but his first and only reaction was to yell out.

Told me everything I needed to know about that shooter... and the funny thing is he's a long time member here.

Last edited:
You realize that "every gun is always loaded" is just a saying meant to emphasize a point, not the truth, right?

In gun safety, we deal in absolutes. Every gun is ALWAYS loaded. You NEVER point a gun at something you're not willing to destroy. It's not, "it's okay that I pointed a gun at you, it wasn't loaded." There is no gray area.

In gun safety, we deal in absolutes. Every gun is ALWAYS loaded. You NEVER point a gun at something you're not willing to destroy. It's not, "it's okay that I pointed a gun at you, it wasn't loaded." There is no gray area.

Yes, there is. See my post above yours. Common sense, man...

Do you ever point the barrel of a disassembled firearm at your eyeball while you inspect the cleanliness and condition of the barrel? Bottom line is the rules are designed to instill respect and proper muscle memory, but common sense also plays a big part.

Sometimes, in a crowded gun shop it is almost impossible not to muzzle sweep someone as you are showing the gun, however people should use due diligence. Even under those circumstances, if I don't find a safe spot, I point the gun down (hoping there is nobody in the basement [smile] )
However the biggest difference is that in a gun store as opposed to a range is that there is no open ammo in the close proximity and the gun has not been recently shot. Not that it makes a difference, but there is an added level of safety by ensuring that.

Ive always been able to maneuver a gun so it was not pointed at anyone in a gun shop. All it takes is awareness and a willingness to make the extra effort

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

Ive always been able to maneuver a gun so it was not pointed at anyone in a gun shop. All it takes is awareness and a willingness to make the extra effort

Yes, I do the same, but that typically works until an oblivious shopper or staffer decides to walk right in front of your muzzle while checking out the sights. [laugh] In the more crowded places I end up pointing the thing at the floor 99.9% of the time.

-Mike

This

If you want to compare it to other activities, compare it to parachute jumping, flying, or perhaps scuba diving. Not driving a car.

This

If you want to compare it to other activities, compare it to parachute jumping, flying, or perhaps scuba diving. Not driving a car.

I disagree.

Those other activities only put you at risk, with your own permission.

Driving a car drunk puts others at risk, same as pointing a gun at them.

I disagree.

Those other activities only put you at risk, with your own permission.

Driving a car drunk puts others at risk, same as pointing a gun at them.
I give you that.
My comparison is with regards to extreme consequences of making an error. Which is why there are overlapping multiple safety measures.

shoot him first, because it sounds like this guy is on track to shoot you.

seriouspost: explain to him exactly why he's a retard. unless it's after a blatant safety violation, be cool about it. i've only yelled at someone once and it was because when i turned around from where i was standing there was a 1911 pointed upward at my face. i did not take kindly to that. you need to sit down with this kid and explain to him that he's a danger to himself and others right now and to chill the **** out.

if from there he wants to go be a ****wit at the range, let him go on his own, and you go on your own. if his butt hurts over your choice because he's unsafe, that's his problem.

another word of advice is dont take serious advice from Atilla.

Do you ever point the barrel of a disassembled firearm at your eyeball while you inspect the cleanliness and condition of the barrel? Bottom line is the rules are designed to instill respect and proper muscle memory, but common sense also plays a big part.

I blow on my ar 15 barrel when I'm installing the gas block . My brother walked in and he thought I was trying to off my self .

When I helped him out his together he understood lol .

Yes, I do the same, but that typically works until an oblivious shopper or staffer decides to walk right in front of your muzzle while checking out the sights. [laugh] In the more crowded places I end up pointing the thing at the floor 99.9% of the time.

-Mike

I move the gun in a path from the floor up the wall, then point it at a place in the ceiling that is angled up by about 30 degrees. It works for me.

- - - Updated - - -

I blow on my ar 15 barrel when I'm installing the gas block . My brother walked in and he thought I was trying to off my self .

When I helped him out his together he understood lol .

Ben, thats hysterical. I do the same thing. Do you put a piece of brass in the chamber to help seal that end?

Back
Top Bottom