• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

my reloading info

Hello All,

I have just started reloading back in dec. today I just got a scale and caliper so i have messured and weighed my bullets. I am reloading .308 win 168 sierra BTHP and m-72 174 gr match bullets. My 168 is 2.8 long and weighs between 369gr - 393gr and the 174 is 2.85 long and weighs between 387gr - 401gr i am using win brass with cci primers and varget 46gr. If this is high or out of wack please let me know i am looking to get match grade ammo for F T/R this season. i am shooting rem 700 sps with a 1:10 twist

Thanks
Craig

Seems extreme to me WRT weight. Are these from the same lot with matching stamps?

Overall weight is meaningless if you aren't separating your brass and bullets by weight before you start. Even sorting by head stamp is not enough. There will be significant variances even within isolated lots of both.

ETA:

Do you know the history of the brass? All from the same lot? All fired the same # of times? How did you trim them to length? When you trimmed them how consistent were the results?

All things that are contributing to your data.

Last edited:
the brass has been shot 2-3 times an hasn't been trimmed yet the case length is 2.00 - 2.01, the cases are winchesters and i bought the cases new from cabelas 50pcs per bag and I have about 200

Last edited:
There is generally no need to weigh the completed cartridges. By then, it's kind of late to do anything about it.

With that said, 24gr of difference in weight with sorted brass and good bullets sounds like an awful lot.

How do they shoot?

they shoot good... last weekend my scope and mount were loose and i couldt get on target but before i had about a quater size group at 100 yds

Sounds like your shooting results answered your question.
I'd repeat much of what was voiced above...
...if you had brass and bullets of equal weight at the start, your completed cartridge weights should not be too far off. Unsorted cases can be very different in weight, so final weighing is somewhat meaningless unless you're trying to guess bullet weights in unknown ammo w/o tearing it down. Even this method is at best an approximation.

How did you weigh your charges if you just got a scale? You are right at max per Hodgdon for the 168 gr and a tad over max for the 174 gr.

Back
Top Bottom