MY RECENT CABELA'S EXPERIENCE IN THE NANNY STATE OF CONNECTICUT

Ha.......the constitution state. Almost as ironic as that everytown womans armed security detail.

About as ironic has having a rifleman on the back of the MA quarter in the 50 state series. NJ is the other state that has guns on their quater, but you have to use a bit of imagination since it's George Washington and his crew crossing the Delaware.

All these license fees must be paying for the "Sandy Ground" playground they just out up in the town next to me. It seems like everyday, people treat Newtown like the uprising from the hunger games.

I really don't understand the Cabelas strategy in New England: build in East BF Maine, CT and Massachusetts (the latter insuring that only MA residents will go there)? One store in Southern NH could have served all those markets and been a regional destination...hellooooooo, Bass Pro.

Posted from my car phone.

I am certain that the sale of guns and ammo is such a small part of the overall revenue stream for both BassPro and Cabela's that the local laws in Mass and Ct are not even part of the consideration

I really don't understand the Cabelas strategy in New England: build in East BF Maine, CT and Massachusetts (the latter insuring that only MA residents will go there)? One store in Southern NH could have served all those markets and been a regional destination...hellooooooo, Bass Pro.

This. That store that Cabela's was going to open in Hooksett fell flat on it's face. It's a shame, because a big store in NH would have killed. The Bass Pro in Hooksett is nothing to write home about.

I am certain that the sale of guns and ammo is such a small part of the overall revenue stream for both BassPro and Cabela's that the local laws in Mass and Ct are not even part of the consideration

I am certain that you are right.

This. That store that Cabela's was going to open in Hooksett fell flat on it's face. It's a shame, because a big store in NH would have killed. The Bass Pro in Hooksett is nothing to write home about.

BP is NOTHING to write home about! Period.

Way overpriced on handguns. Ammo prices have never been as good as WM even when they had stock. My dentist is an avid fly-fisherman and he said that the fishing supplies they sell are junk. It's a "tourist site" and nothing more.

I also don't see the magic in Cabela's either. I've walked the entire store in Scarborough twice and only purchased some hot sauce. I should have bought an open box of 45 bullets but the price wasn't fabulous (at that time), reflecting now the price was very good. [laugh] The do have a much more extensive gun department than BP, but I doubt that I'd prefer them to a couple of LGS.

I left the state and the northeast because of BS laws, screw them and the nanny state. Go where you buy handguns with cash and a handshake.

I had looked this up before I posted the original comment. It isn't the money, it's the principal, especially since I am from a free state. 35 dollars or 35 cents...I say F**K THAT.

I work in Hartford so I used to go all the time. Now I never go cuz I refuse to pay the state.

Mrs. Flare and I were going to get our NR CT permits before Newtown and now we won't give CT a dime.

I left the state and the northeast because of BS laws, screw them and the nanny state. Go where you buy handguns with cash and a handshake.

This^^^^

+1.

I go to Cabelas on occasion just because they have a lot to look at but I am more likely to buy boots and some moisture wicking sock liners instead of a gun or ammo there. Most of the people there are yuppies looking for trendy outdoor wear or people who are new to guns and don't know where else to go. A few miles away is Newington Gun Exchange, you are better off there for that part of CT.

I have a couple of small gun shops I frequent when I want to actually buy something. I may buy ammo at Cabelas if I catch a sale but I can't stand the gun counter where I have to take a freakin' ticket like I'm at the deli just to see a gun. I'd rather go to a small shop where I walk in and everyone says Hi Carl and I can look at whatever I want when I want. If I want to take a ticket I'll go to Stop and Shop and get some deli meat and cheese.

I live in CT and have a pistol permit so not much has changed as far as buying ammo and most guns but it is all BS just the same. I keep thinking I will move someday soon but it just seems to be one work and/or family issue after another that makes that unlikely for me any time soon.

Since Sandy Hook the wait time is a good deal longer but as long as you have a home state permit, you'll get a CT permit. The only real disadvantage is the cost, about $200? Maybe a less. Yes, CT sucks. But if you get a permit you can carry in CT and you can buy ammo in CT.

Gee $200 to have the state of CT grant me the "privilege" to buy a few bricks of 22 lr....
Voluntarily add to their treasury extra money courtesy of the restrictive gun policies they imposed on their own citizens? [bow][slap] [puke]

Negative, ammo certs are $35 IIRC

As you'll see in my previous post I refuse to pay even that relatively small amount

Cabelas is feeling the pressure of losing many customers. They located in East Hartford because Pratt & Whitney gave them a deal on the land that used to be an airport. And, UCONN built their stadium there but the plan was for many more retail outlets being built soon after Cabelas opened. Nothing has transpired yet, however. There is talk about something beginning but no shovels in the ground as of yet.

Cabelas wanted to be able to take advantage of being located in the crossroads of not only CT but RI, NY, NJ, MA, and then north to NH or VT. They are only about an hour and change from the border. When the new laws went into effect, Cabelas lost 100% of all of the buyers outside of the state for ammo unless they went through the crap of getting a certificate. It's just a money maker, that's all.

FYI, in MA even if you have a non-resident LTC-a permit you can't even buy a box of shotgun shells never mind .22. I had my non-res MA, my CT, a non-res ME and NH as well as being a certified NRA instructor in pistol and rifle and I even had a MA non-res hunting permit (my wallet is huge!) and I still couldn't buy ammo. They are ridiculous. Back here in CT the fudds are really being surprised that they can't buy their box of turkey loads or deer loads without a permit and it's pissing them off. They should have been more involved at the beginning, of course. Now they're paying.

I suspect that unless the new retail shops grow up around Cabelas that they will end up closing this store. It's rarely busy, honestly, except at big sales or on a Saturday. I've been in there on a weekday and could count the people on two hands. Let's face it, too, their prices aren't all that wonderful either. I can beat them on line most of the time.

Yep......good 'ol CT is going to lose that store for sure in the not-too-distant future as long as things remain the same. Don't forget, too, the new ASSault laws also preclude sales of some of the most popular rifles on the planet.

Rome, Northern CT

Three things CT is good at:

1. Taking money from hard working, middle class citizens and handing it out to lazy, good for nothing idiots who refuse to work (I'm not referring to honest people legitimately in need of help, I am glad to see them get help).

2. Wasting time/energy/money trying to pass a law for every stupid thing to satisfy whatever the politically correct flavor of the month is.

3. Driving up the cost of living for middle class families while at the same time creating an environment incredibly unfriendly to small and mid sized business and thus driving most of them out of business or out of state.

CT is doomed, it will soon be bankrupt just like Kali, NY, NJ, MA, and all of the other entitlement/nanny/commie states. New flash - Commuinism doesn't work. Hasn't history proven that over and over and over again? Yet they still keep pushing for it because it makes everyone poor and dependent on the government and thus hands politicians all of the power on a silver platter. Too bad they will end up in charge of a third world country and their power will be served up on a paper plate instead of the silver platter they wanted.

+1.

I go to Cabelas on occasion just because they have a lot to look at but I am more likely to buy boots and some moisture wicking sock liners instead of a gun or ammo there. Most of the people there are yuppies looking for trendy outdoor wear or people who are new to guns and don't know where else to go. A few miles away is Newington Gun Exchange, you are better off there for that part of CT.

I have a couple of small gun shops I frequent when I want to actually buy something. I may buy ammo at Cabelas if I catch a sale but I can't stand the gun counter where I have to take a freakin' ticket like I'm at the deli just to see a gun. I'd rather go to a small shop where I walk in and everyone says Hi Carl and I can look at whatever I want when I want. If I want to take a ticket I'll go to Stop and Shop and get some deli meat and cheese.

I live in CT and have a pistol permit so not much has changed as far as buying ammo and most guns but it is all BS just the same. I keep thinking I will move someday soon but it just seems to be one work and/or family issue after another that makes that unlikely for me any time soon.

yeah the personal touch is nice but every time I go into a local (in Ma) shop to buy 223/556 ammo it is $12+ a box (for brass). Cabelas in Maine had .556 on sale in the fall for $7.59 for the brass case target stuff. Also do you think a local shop would have sold a 1915 Westinghouse mosin for $129? Sometimes you can benefit from the lack of knowledge of the sales force!

+2

Three things CT is good at:

1. Taking money from hard working, middle class citizens and handing it out to lazy, good for nothing idiots who refuse to work (I'm not referring to honest people legitimately in need of help, I am glad to see them get help).

2. Wasting time/energy/money trying to pass a law for every stupid thing to satisfy whatever the politically correct flavor of the month is.

3. Driving up the cost of living for middle class families while at the same time creating an environment incredibly unfriendly to small and mid sized business and thus driving most of them out of business or out of state.

CT is doomed, it will soon be bankrupt just like Kali, NY, NJ, MA, and all of the other entitlement/nanny/commie states. New flash - Commuinism doesn't work. Hasn't history proven that over and over and over again? Yet they still keep pushing for it because it makes everyone poor and dependent on the government and thus hands politicians all of the power on a silver platter. Too bad they will end up in charge of a third world country and their power will be served up on a paper plate instead of the silver platter they wanted.

I know that over at AR15.com hometown CT there are guys there that think we can still fight the good fight. CT has passed that tipping point, however, and they have turned to the dark side for the forseeable future. No election will unseat the massive hold the liberals have on this state in every office including the Gov. The conservatives in office are nothing more than an annoyance and can literally do nothing to hold back the tsunami of liberal agenda programs that their counterparts sign into law. That's why we're leaving as soon as possible. We can't even afford to retire in the state we were born in.

Rome

It's very technical, the way they decide where to put stores. As another said, ammo and guns is only a small part of their business. I used to work st staples corporate and they would do all kinds of research on traffic patterns, demographics, size of towns/cites in various rings 5 miles from the location, 10 miles, 25 miles, etc. What cabelas looks for will obviously be different than staples but they don't make these choices without a lot of research.

RI is one of the last states to get any chain store because it's a small state. Vermont still doesn't have a Target store, only got lowes about 4 or 5 years ago, etc. The Hudson location is a fairly central point for the majority of central and eastern sections of MA, RI'ers can go up Rt 146 or 495, NH'ers from Nashua can go down 495, SE NH will use the Maine one. I'm sure they'll continue to expand and the Hookset area will be a prime option in time.

I used my FFL to buy ammo when I was there. I hand it to the cashier and she said " OK but do you have a ct pistol license?", I tell her just to call the desk at the gun shop and she calls them and says "This guy is down here with a piece of paper and he says its better than a ct pistol license, can you come down". Meanwhile i'm there just shaking my head as the line is building up. The guy comes down, looks at the license and sees the lock on my face and just shakes his head at the cashier, checks my license in the database and blesses the sale. LOL.

Man you're cool
I used my FFL to buy ammo when I was there. I hand it to the cashier and she said " OK but do you have a ct pistol license?", I tell her just to call the desk at the gun shop and she calls them and says "This guy is down here with a piece of paper and he says its better than a ct pistol license, can you come down". Meanwhile i'm there just shaking my head as the line is building up. The guy comes down, looks at the license and sees the lock on my face and just shakes his head at the cashier, checks my license in the database and blesses the sale. LOL.

Dont worry CT will try to outlaw using an FFL next They will call it the "FFL Loophole"

+2

I know that over at AR15.com hometown CT there are guys there that think we can still fight the good fight. CT has passed that tipping point, however, and they have turned to the dark side for the forseeable future. No election will unseat the massive hold the liberals have on this state in every office including the Gov. The conservatives in office are nothing more than an annoyance and can literally do nothing to hold back the tsunami of liberal agenda programs that their counterparts sign into law. That's why we're leaving as soon as possible. We can't even afford to retire in the state we were born in.

Rome
Yep, they are beyond ethical in that state... My wife has been a teacher in Avon, Ct for 33 years.... 2 years to retirement... her Superintendent just handed her a letter of non renewal for her contract next year.. she is out of a job without even a thank you.. the most impeccable, old school teacher you will ever meet. We don't know what to do yet... but looks like we may talk to a lawyer since her union, that they have a different name for..... is letting the bus run over her...

I don't think Cabellas, Bass pro or any other retailer opens a store with hopes of drawing customers from a long distance. Hartford and Central MA are very heavily populated and other than Dick's in MA there really isn't a whole lot of competition. These companies spend millions on demographic studies before even considering opening a store. Most retail business draw the bulk of their customers from inside 15 miles. I remember Spag's when they used to collect zip codes. They had a lot of long distance shoppers and even at that 90% were from that 15 mile radius.
The other thing is guns and ammo are only a small part of their business, I know it is on the top of most of our lists but I dont think corporate looks at it the same way.

You may be correct but I know that Cabela's will only build in areas that are accessible by major highways from long distances. When they opened, the parking lot was full of out-of-state plates. And, they also only open stores where there is other retailing going on. If you've been there you know they are the only game in town with a 1000 acres of nothing around them. This is what disturbs them because they were promised development and got nothing. You are correct about the population density. But there are only 3 million resident in CT. Multiply that by many factors with RI MA and NY, all three states that were usually represented in the parking lot. Ya know, people would make a point of stopping by as they drove through Hartford. That's what I did in Hamburg, PA with that MAMMOUTH Cabela's store. It took me 20 minutes to walk in, through, and out of that store the first time I visited, it's that big....surely 50% bigger than E. Hartford. In any event, it's all moot. Guys won't travel to Cabela's just to buy fishing gear and shorts or shirts. I know I wouldn't. Having the option of buying ammo on sale or in bulk was always a nice option.

Rome

Where are they/will they build in MA? I probably won't buy firearms or ammo or accessories there because honestly - anything they carry can be found cheaper online or in a shop. I would rather support my local gun stores. However I feel that they have outdoor gear and clothing that is competitive in quality and price with LL Bean and Bass Pro, and they usually beat out the quality of Dicks or Lands End.

Ahh - found this on their website:

SIDNEY, Neb. (June 5, 2013) – Cabela's Incorporated (NYSE:CAB), the World's Foremost Outfitter® of hunting, fishing and outdoor gear, announced today plans to bring the extraordinary Cabela's retail experience to customers in Berlin, Mass., and the greater Boston area.

Construction on the 88,000-square-foot store – Cabela's first Massachusetts location – is expected to begin in the spring of 2014. Cabela's anticipates a spring 2015 opening.

The store, which will employ about 200 full-time, part-time and seasonal employees, will be located in the southeast quadrant of Interstate 495 and Central Street in the Highland Commons Shopping Center, being developed by Benderson Development and SullivanHayes Companies. Highland Commons already is the home of BJ's Wholesale Club, Lowe's Home Improvement and Market Basket.

"Our many loyal customers across Massachusetts have supported Cabela's for many years through our catalogs, website and other retail locations," said Tommy Millner, Cabela's Chief Executive Officer. "Now those outdoorsmen and women will have a store to call their own. For that, we are incredibly excited."

Cabela's® Announces Plans for Berlin, Mass.

Last edited:
Could a state pass a law to require the purchase of certification to buy a newspaper?

Why not?

--jcr
Oh that's what they mean when they say "high capacity magazine." I thought they were banning guns.

Bumpski in case someone else is asleep at the wheel.

Wasn't paying attention to this and tried to buy ammo with my reloading supplies. Damn... Kinda generic Cabelas anyway. Hope they had some fun with the design of the upcoming Mass Cabelas.

Back
Top Bottom