• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

My Quackenbush Air rifle arrived today.

dhuze

NES Member
An island surrounded by land on three sides
I have tried to get one of these for 5 years now. I just got mine in. He only makes about 50 a year.I went with the .308. It shoots a 115 gr .308 bullet. The same bullet as the M1 carbine except cast lead.
I couldn't decide if I wanted the .50 or not. Now I do. I might try to get another one the next time the list opens up.
I had to buy a special hand pump so I can get the 3000 of pressure into the reservoir.

Here is the rifle.

IMG_0848_zps158280be.jpg

I have tried to get one of these for 5 years now. I just got mine in. He only makes about 50 a year.I went with the .308. It shoots a 115 gr .308 bullet. The same bullet as the M1 carbine except cast lead.
I couldn't decide if I wanted the .50 or not. Now I do. I might try to get another one the next time the list opens up.
I had to buy a special hand pump so I can get the 3000 of pressure into the reservoir.

Here is the rifle.

IMG_0848_zps158280be.jpg

I never knew such a thing existed, never crossed my mind! That's awesome.

I'm gonna go google it, but do you know offhand any of the specs such as fps or energy?
How loud is it?

I never knew such a thing existed, never crossed my mind! That's awesome.

I'm gonna go google it, but do you know offhand any of the specs such as fps or energy?
How loud is it?

They are awesome, powerful air rifles. Not sure how many people know that the Lewis & Clark Expedition that opened up the west, carried an air rifle instead of powder burners. The Indians were in awe of the air rifle.

Link to Quackenbush Quackenbush Air Guns

If your not aware of a basic well built air rifle like the Quackenbush then your in for many surprises. The large caliber rifles are out standing, along with some powderful rifles...not to mention the full auto air rifles.....theres some crazy nice stuff out there. Quackenbush was high on my list for a while. My direction changed. as much as I like air rifles i stick with the lower end stuff.......even the lower end stuff get crazy modifications to make them perform awesome. Remember alot of the world this is their only opption.

Evanix Giant and Speed full-auto air rifles

The FX Boss is .30. 30-40 shots per fill at 850 fps. Fun stuff. High end air rifles are as expensive as powder. Typically between $1-2K. But loads of fun and back yard friendly. To the OP, you should get an 88 cu. ft. carbon fiber tank and be done with it. $10 a fill at your local paintball or dive shop. Forget the pumps.

3000 psi? And a 115g lead bullet... Ok, I might be wrong here, and to be honest I only have Paintball guns to go off of, but am I off my rocker, or is that going to push the bullet at something like 700 fps?

Edit: So, I clicked the link, and looks like I was close on my figures... Yea, 700ish FPS with a 115g slug out of a freaken AIR rifle... that's nuts. Slower then a .32 ACP, but a heck of a lot heavier.

Last edited:
Have you looked into getting a scuba tank to handle the refills?

I also know they may small tankless compressors for the high end competition air rifles, they have the same PSI requirements.

[cerberus];3387942 said:
Have you looked into getting a scuba tank to handle the refills?

I also know they may small tankless compressors for the high end competition air rifles, they have the same PSI requirements.

I'll get a tank, but I figured I'd need the pump too so it will do for now. When I buy a tank I'll need a gauge also so I figured I'll start with the hand pump.

I haven't shot it. I'm still waiting for the pump to come in.

Forget getting a SCUBA tank. Aluminum scuba tanks fill to 3000 psi. The steel scuba tanks only fill to around 3400 psi (a good shop will get you to 3500 or a little more). Even with a steel 100 cu ft tank you won't get much if you need to fill the gun to 3000. An 88 cu ft carbon fiber tank is 4500 psi and will get you many, many fills. Buy once, cry once, as the CF tanks are about $700 new (including high pressure regulator) but you can find them on the Yellow forum (premier airgun forum) for $475-$525 from time to time. If you do go scuba, keep in mind that there are different regulator/valves for the low pressure Al tanks vs. the higher pressure steel tanks. You cannot use paintball stuff for high pressure airgun applications. After you pump a few times you will immediately resell the pump on the Yellow and buy CF. It's the only way to go. Why do some still use pumps? Because they live too far from a paintball or scuba shop and therefore cannot get tanks filled. Though some of these folks instead rent large 1A cylinders from welding shops and run nitrogen.

You also could get a Shoebox compressor -- it is basically a mini high pressure supplemental compressor that serves as a booster to a regular shop air compressor to get you up to the 4500 psi level necessary to fill air tanks. Shoebox compressors are around $500 if I recall and given that a scuba or paintball shop will fill a CF tank for $10-$15, you have to do a lot of shooting to make the Shoebox worth the coin.

Before anyone goes out and buys any air tanks, compressors, etc. I highly advise that you pick the brains at the Airgun Forum link here: Airgun forum Lots of people on the Forum that can help so that you don't buy twice. Just remember that even though a tank may hold say 4000 psi, once the pressure drops below 3000 you need a refill if you want to top off your gun. You only get 1000 usable psi out of the tank.

At the top of the Airgun Forum home page is a couple of businesses that specialize in air supplies.

Last edited:
Before anyone goes out and buys any air tanks, compressors, etc. I highly advise that you pick the brains at the Airgun Forum link here: Airgun forum Lots of people on the Forum that can help so that you don't buy twice. Just remember that even though a tank may hold say 4000 psi, once the pressure drops below 3000 you need a refill if you want to top off your gun. You only get 1000 usable psi out of the tank.

At the top of the Airgun Forum home page is a couple of businesses that specialize in air supplies.

Yes and this is why a hand pump was bought first. I figure I'll need it for top offs regardless of what I end up doing.

good deal on entry level PCP

Thing is you dont shoot it to empty, you find the sweet spot on the preasure....I have the Benjamin Discover 22cal operates on 2000psi but the sweet spot is between 1800 down to 1300psi very consistant but once it hits 1250ish it plummets.

I just happened across this BENJAMIN DISCOVERY PRE-CHARGED .22 CALIBER AIR RIFLE. this is a pretty decent deal. nice little gun and comes with pump. they also have the marauder wich is a big step up in accuracy and goes to 3000psi. This is about the entry level. after this prices climp quickly....for back yard fun the disco in 22 or 177 is fun... a tad loud though. the discover can also run on CO2 loose a bit of velocity but increase shot count. Accuracy for me is about the same.

my disco all tuned up

late 60s crosman 1400 22cal 8 pumps a touch over 600fps......love these old pumpers...this one is tuned up a bit and stock is customized...

Last edited:
I agree - as I stated, go to the Yellow forum linked above. There you will learn what every other PCP owner has learned -- get a tank and don't waste time with pumps. I can guarantee you will not enjoy using the pump and with dive shops and paintball shops all over your state (RI), getting a tank is a no brainer. Many of the premier air gun internet stores have fill calculators which you can use to determine how many fills you will get out of a tank. When you compare 3400 psi SCUBA to 4500 psi CF you will see how much easier it is to just get a CF tank (particularly if you buy used). Note that steel SCUBA tanks weigh a lot and are not nearly as easy to move around as CF.

And if you want to get real esoteric, look into helium...

Once you get your 4500 PSI tank, the next step is to find a shop that can actually fill to a "true" 4500 pSI. SCUBA shops usually fill air tanks from a bank of tanks, at might be able to get you up to 4400. Paintball shops might have 2500 PSI in a nitrogen tank and a mega booster to fill little paintball tanks, but won't be able to fill a full-sized CF tank to anywhere near 4500.

Crosman has a web-based map: http://www.crosman.com/university/pcp-fill-stations

Accessories - PCP & CO2 accs. - PCP - Compressors - PyramydAir.com your gonna want to shoot a lot if you buy a compressor, if so you best be a fill station also....The pump does take some time BUT if your not shooting a lot its no to bad. From 1300 to 1900 psi on my disco is aprox 80 pumps, not easy but the fill last a good long time with my shooting habbits. I get aprox 25 prime shots and about 35 total before accuracy goes to sheettzzz,
Any good deals that come up on the yellow forums doesnt last. I have tossed the idea of a CF tank but for the cost I rather buy another rifle.

Here is the rifle.

IMG_0848_zps158280be.jpg

Any idea how many shots you get on a fill ? Im guessing has to run out fast, maybe 5 to 8 consistent shots ? What do you plan to hunt with this? I have seen a few 50 cal guns and they are no joke and something you dont unleash in a normal back yard setting. yangsun dragon slayer 50 cal is good for 3 prime shots and 5 total before a fill is needed. Im guessing you might only get 5 fills from a CF tank ?

They are awesome, powerful air rifles. Not sure how many people know that the Lewis & Clark Expedition that opened up the west, carried an air rifle instead of powder burners. The Indians were in awe of the air rifle.

Link to Quackenbush Quackenbush Air Guns
The Lewis & Clark air rifle was not only very expensive, but quite fragile. From what I read, it was not fired much. The compressed air container lockup with the frame of the rifle was the weak point. Heard good things about Quackenbush, but the price is well beyond my budget.

It uses about 200 psi per shot. You don't really want to get below 2000 psi before topping off. I'll probably only be hunting paper.
so will get 5 shots before a refill, pumping a 3000psi gun with a hand pump from 2000-3000psi would take about 50-80 strokes and not easy strokes. Follow the pumps instructions and dont pump fast or long. give the pump a cooling off period between 20 strokes or so. A CF tank is about the best for big bore guns if you plan on putting more than 10 rounds down range per sitting. after the slight work out of the hand pump you will need to rest until your heart rate comes down, so you can make accurate shots.
Hope to see a range report. My buddies dragon slayer gets 1.5" groups at 50 yards...not terrible

The Quackenbush and the various .50 rifles are the end game of PCP gunning, you can certainly start out smaller and without waiting for a custom build. Pyramyd has a couple of PCP rifles under $300.

We should do an airgun shoot, could even hold it in Massachusetts and I'd still be able to attend.

Thing is you dont shoot it to empty, you find the sweet spot on the preasure....I have the Benjamin Discover 22cal operates on 2000psi but the sweet spot is between 1800 down to 1300psi very consistant but once it hits 1250ish it plummets.

I just happened across this BENJAMIN DISCOVERY PRE-CHARGED .22 CALIBER AIR RIFLE. this is a pretty decent deal. nice little gun and comes with pump. they also have the marauder wich is a big step up in accuracy and goes to 3000psi. This is about the entry level. after this prices climp quickly....for back yard fun the disco in 22 or 177 is fun... a tad loud though. the discover can also run on CO2 loose a bit of velocity but increase shot count. Accuracy for me is about the same.

my disco all tuned up

http://s160.photobucket.com/user/jrm7800/media/103_2935-1.jpg.html

You should look into getting a TKO LDC for the disco if you don't already. I have two and they're very effective at cutting back apparent decibels. [wink]

Back
Top Bottom