• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

My P-38 from "The Flint"

Knob Creek

NES Member
Picked this up from Flint Armament. Myself and two of my friends looked them over and each bought one. I came away with this. It is a 1941 First Variation with mixed acceptance stamps. Less than 2500 of these were made. Story goes that Walther brought a inspector over from the "PP assembly line" to work on the P-38 line who brought his own acceptance stamp he was using over there with him. He stamped about 2500 before they figured it out. This finish is better than the pictures show. Once I wiped it down and got oil and WD-40 off and whatever else was on it. Bore is very good.

DSC_2491.jpg

DSC_2495.jpg

Mixed acceptance stamps:

DSC_2509-1.jpg

P-38 Block:

DSC_2507.jpg

That is a really nice gun and the finish looks great. Has it be re-blued or did the Germans just really give their early P38's a really nice blueing? My P38 is an AC44 and the finish looks nothing like that. I do not see many P38's in person so I am not familiar with the variations in finish.

View attachment 22196

I believe it is a old re-blue. I wish I could say I knew enough to pick this one out but it was just luck. We looked thru them and picked out a few with a good combination of good bores and finishes. And I picked this one. I have to say I've learned a lot about P-38's in the last week. One of my buddies picked one that ended up having the "Horseshoe shaped sear" which I guess is somewhat rare.

This is a great source of info:

http://www.p38guns.com/FirstPage.htm

Although the early P38's had a remarkably polished blue, this one is a reblue. Knob you really did well for your first P38. Your friend did well also with the horseshoe sear. The horseshoe sear was an experimental sear that was used in limited production. It was used mostly in AC40's and a few were found in AC41's. I dont think the p38 gets as much respect as a Luger but once people get familiar with them I think most are won over to the p38.

That is a really nice gun and the finish looks great. Has it be re-blued or did the Germans just really give their early P38's a really nice blueing? My P38 is an AC44 and the finish looks nothing like that. I do not see many P38's in person so I am not familiar with the variations in finish.

View attachment 22196
After the early 1941 P38's Walther switched to the military blue which is more of a matte blue. It was determined that the process took too long when the guns were needed to be issued ASAP. The early issues with the high polish blue are very special indeed. Knobcreek's p38 is a reblue but the early blueing is truly amazing on these. Walther really made some special guns.

Nice acquisition!

Walther really made some special guns.

Indeed!
My meager collection is still missing the numbered Walthers and most of the
pre-war/wartime PP's and PPk's in calibers other than .32

Pre-war and wartime PP's and PPk's (along with a Sauer 38H I couldn't find a
better spot for).
The front/right one is a 1938 PP in .22lr I've got this year.
40340bb6.jpg

Wartime P'38's (and a repro FN Hi-Power stock I couldn't find a better spot for)
The messy one on the front/left is a cyq which will eventually end up as a cutaway
c09bd84f.jpg

Post-war PP's and PPk's in .22lr, .32 and .380
b394bf7b.jpg

Post-war P.38's
The front/left one is a .22lr
5a2ae7f9.jpg

That is a purdy P38! Mine is an AC43 and has the typical late-war finish. Someone mentioned the P38 doesn't draw as much attention as the Luger which I think is true. The Luger has a certain mystique about it. But if I had to choose between my P38 and Luger dependability-wise, I'd go with the P38 hands down. Much more reliable and user friendly.

Back
Top Bottom