• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

My only reproduction firearm takes its place on the rack

majspud

NES Life Member
NES Member
Having gotten back into Civil War re-enacting, albeit day tripping as camping out is out, I needed an reproduction musket. I have two originals I have used and would gladly continue to use, however the powers to be passed a rule three years or so ago keeping original firearms off the field. Why? I don't know, but I assume some redneck blew up his original by overcharging it.

I would up with an old Euroarms pre-serial number (<1985) M53 musket with bayonet and frog, for $600. It was in extremely nice condition (see before pictures). As Enfields are the most historically inaccurate reproductions out there, I sent it out to be "de-farbed" as we call it in the hobby to be "corrected." Some will heckle me [devil]for spending $210 shipped to do this (Lodgewood Arms), but we in the hobby are particular about making our impressions historically accurate.

First, Enfields were in the white. Some were blued, but there are many accounts of the men being ordered to strip off the blue by putting sand in the crotches of tree branches and grinding it off. The blue would reflect the light more than a rifle in the white - go figure. Unfortunately I had to leave the bands in the blue (black) as they were actually painted over brass - a very early Euroarms feature. The lockplate was actually a "correct" fictional contract lockplate, so that was stripped as well. I could have gotten a "correct" contract lockplate, but it wasn't worth the additional $100 to me. Current reproduction lock plates say "Enfield" over "1853" which never existed. The barrel root was struck with British proofs, the stock was inspection proofed, but I passed on squaring the rounded eustacion holes on the back of the lockplate for another $25 (please; who's going to call me on that). I also passed on an $80 milled rear sight instead of the cast rear sight that is on it. The stock was also correctly recontoured and restained (compare the before and after pictures of the wood around the lock plate, front and back). The tiger striping is still visible. This musket was almost never used as I had to spend some time degreasing the bore, especially the breech, and cleaning grease out of the cone.

I'll get to try it out later this month at my nest reenactment.

t

Attachments

• IMG_5068.jpg
    IMG_5068.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 121
  • IMG_5069.jpg
    IMG_5069.jpg
    161.3 KB · Views: 116
  • IMG_5070.jpg
    IMG_5070.jpg
    151.4 KB · Views: 115
  • IMG_5071.jpg
    IMG_5071.jpg
    125.6 KB · Views: 111
  • IMG_5072.jpg
    IMG_5072.jpg
    117 KB · Views: 110
  • IMG_1760.JPG
    IMG_1760.JPG
    31.9 KB · Views: 109
  • IMG_1765.JPG
    IMG_1765.JPG
    52.9 KB · Views: 115
  • IMG_1767.JPG
    IMG_1767.JPG
    45.3 KB · Views: 108
  • IMG_1769.JPG
    IMG_1769.JPG
    41.1 KB · Views: 111
Last edited:
As a member of the The Sons of Union Veterans of the Civil War, I salute your efforts here. My 2nd great grand dad fought with the PA 141 and I did track down the strange muskets they used but then lost interest. Let us know about your next encampment.

Too bad I couldn't get the bands in the white. I have an event this weekend and get to try it out. Only worry is that it is significantly heavier than an original and I may have trouble carrying it.

since I have to shave my beard off for German WW2 early in September, I decided to do the Full Monty and styled it into a Burnside.

I don't look so handsome at the moment. I trimmed the hedges Friday and came away with poison ivy on face, neck, hands, wrists, inner elbows, stomach, and crotch.[crying]

t

Attachments

• IMG_5180.jpg
    IMG_5180.jpg
    120.3 KB · Views: 30
Too bad I couldn't get the bands in the white. I have an event this weekend and get to try it out. Only worry is that it is significantly heavier than an original and I may have trouble carrying it.

since I have to shave my beard off for German WW2 early in September, I decided to do the Full Monty and styled it into a Burnside.

I don't look so handsome at the moment. I trimmed the hedges Friday and came away with poison ivy on face, neck, hands, wrists, inner elbows, stomach, and crotch.[crying]

t
Seems fitting. Although I've not run into poison ivy recently, I have a wasp sting from four weeks ago that's still visible and only recently returned to "normal." I just finally bought the wasp spray yesterday and now it's raining so I will need to wait a little longer before my date with destiny.

The first firearm I ever shot was a musket, actually. Something about them that always brings a smile.

Trimming the hedge with several plant species including the poison ivy. Pouring sweat and wiping myself with my t-shirt and spreading it.

t

does this count as a reproduction?
oejPTAFl.jpg

Well, got to use it this weekend. And it didn't work. The caps were literally shooting the powder out of the barrel without igniting. Had everyone stumped. We worked on the breech, used CO2, but same result. Them someone thought of old powder. The rounds in my Confederate cartridge box were pushing 10 years old. Worked fine with a borrowed fresh round. I'll have to roll new ones over the weekend.

t

Well, got to use it this weekend. And it didn't work. The caps were literally shooting the powder out of the barrel without igniting. Had everyone stumped. We worked on the breech, used CO2, but same result. Them someone thought of old powder. The rounds in my Confederate cartridge box were pushing 10 years old. Worked fine with a borrowed fresh round. I'll have to roll new ones over the weekend.

t
Black powder does not age well.

With you on the reproduction firearm, trying to keep the mileage down on the original led me to build a repro, it turned out beautiful and I actually enjoy it more.
lUVQAA1l.png

uNAiWefl.png

As a collector, I ask that anyone building a repro: please mark it as such. Even in an obscure way under the furniture, but make it unmistakable for anyone who disassembles the rifle.

Back
Top Bottom