• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

My new Zanotti 52 gun safe review

Well after a year of waiting, my new Zanotti safe has finally arrived. I'll give you my brief thoughts and impressions on this safe here as I have seen several questions regarding them. Keep in mind that these modular safes are designed for a certain market, ie., those that need a safe that can be taken apart and reassembled at will or do not have the ability to move or house a regular welded one-piece safe. They are not lined with concrete or drywall so they only carry a fire rating of 20 minutes at 1,200 degrees. Since I do not have a bulkhead entryway into my basement and my doorways and hallways in the house are all too small to maneuver a full size safe, my only options were to buy a buttload of smaller safes or a modular safe. After doing my research, I decided to go with the Zanotti ZA-III 6' tall safe in the 52 gun configuration. I got the luxury interior upgrade (i.e., full carpeting around the interior), combination dial with key lock and golden rod dehumidifier with pistol pockets on the door. I had to order directly from them and have it shipped to me here in Rhode Island (They are located in Iowa). Due to high demand, they are now operating on a 12 to 14 month waiting period.

Installation:
The semi arrived and dropped off a 6' pallet with four boxes strapped down to it. Shipping weight was 925 pounds. The driver was nice enough to put the pallet into my garage as I waited for my friend to get off of work to help me install it.
20140806_103441.jpg 20140806_103510.jpg
Let me tell you, these pieces were flipping heavy! The door itself weighed in at 175 lbs. Unfortunately, we couldn't get the pieces in my doorway on a hand truck so each piece had to be carried by hand from the garage into the house and down a flight of stairs with a tight 90 degree turn at the bottom and then across the basement. Luckily I had plenty of beer on hand so I was able to keep bribing my friend to stay. It was about halfway through carrying all of the pieces downstairs did I fully realize just how old, weak and out of shape I am! Thankfully, carrying them down to the basement turned out to be the hardest part. Well...sort of. More on that later.

The installation was pretty easy and straightforward. All pieces are held together by large pins and the tolerance is very tight. Plop the floor down and then start adding 1 wall at a time. Once you have the 2 sides and back, flop the top on it, pin it down and now you're ready to try and manhandle the door onto its hinges. No blood or beer was spilled and only a couple f bombs were dropped. Overall, a pretty easy installation. I would say it took us probably about an hour to completely put it all together. Of course, we had to take a beer break and observe our work after each piece was installed!
20140806_184009.jpg 20140806_190809.jpg 20140806_201452.jpg 20140806_204746.jpg 20140806_205054.jpg
The most time consuming part and the cause of 95% of all the "f" bombs that were hurled around that night was due to trying to figure out the bloody combination dial. About 1/3 of the entire time it took from start to finish was spent trying to figure that frickin' lock out! It turned out to be pretty simple but we struggled with trying to understand the instructions coupled with the fact that there are two different hash marks on the dial. Of course, keep in mind that numerous beers were being consumed during this installation, but there is no way that could have played a factor at all!

Thoughts:
Once the safe was installed and lag bolted down, there is no flippin' way she is being moved anywhere. You can't really see in the photos, but there is a partial wall nestled against the right side of the safe and a smaller locking cabinet for ammo is lag bolted down immediately to the left of it so you can really only assault it from the front where it is at its strongest. As I mentioned previously, the tolerances on the manufacturing of the pieces is very tight. There is no wiggle at all in the door or lock. All pieces fit extremely tight to either other. The seams overlap one another making a pry bar attack extremely difficult as well. I am impressed with the ability of the carpet lining to hold onto the pistol pockets. I've had safes before where the pistol pockets would start to sag or even fall off after a while. Obviously, it is too early to say if that will happen or not with this but I've never had the pockets hold so tightly before. I had to fight with them to rearrange them on the door. Only six came with the safe, however I'm sure I could have ordered more if I thought about it. I wish I did as I need quite a few more. One of the nice things with Zanotti safes is the additional room inside. Since they do not have the fireproofing in the walls, you gain some more room. Granted, it is not a ton but it is noticeable. I've found that my bolt action rifles and scoped rifles have a sizeable chunk of room around them so there is less smacking them against other rifles.

Overall, I am very impressed with this safe. Since I do foresee a couple more house moves in my future, I don't have to worry about hiring movers just to move my safe or stress about ensuring I have easy entry for my safe at my new house. The quality of the workmanship is very good. All the pieces are well cut and sized just right. Zanotti hand fits all the pieces and completely installs your safe at their shop to ensure all pieces fit properly. the interior also appears to be very well made and of quality materials. To the layman, you would never know that this is a modular safe and it provides an additional level of security by not letting your neighbors watch you man handle a giant 1,000 lb safe into your house. All they'll see are several nondescript boxes being carried in. I am pleased with this safe and it fits my needs perfectly. It will not fit everyone's needs but if you're considering a modular safe, then you won't go wrong with a Zanotti.

Last edited:
Thanks for the tip on Zanotti safes. I checked the web site and was extremely disappointed that they didn't list any prices. Can you offer any info as to prices?

I must say I was bummed with that lack of info too. I'm generally not a fan of companies that don't post that info on their sites. But then again, I'm rather lazy and don't like having to call people to send me info. However, since I wanted a Zanotti safe and they only sell direct, I did the unthinkable and actually called them. They are incredibly friendly and very helpful. Turns out calling them wasn't so bad! Anyways, here are the prices that were sent to me last year when I ordered:

Model ZA-1 (16 gun - 60"Hx25"Wx20"D - 400 LBS) is listed at $1,353
Model ZA-II (30 gun - 60"Hx31"Wx25"D - 600 LBS) is listed at $1,562
Model ZA-II 6 ft (30 gun - 72"Hx31"Wx25"D - 700 LBS) is listed at $2,019
Model ZA-III (52 gun - 60"Hx40"Wx30"D - 825 LBS) is listed at $2,138
Model ZA-III 6 ft (52 gun - 72"Hx40"Wx30"D - 925 LBS) is listed at $2,654

As you can see, they are not cheap but so far, I do feel that I got what I paid for, a quality safe that will still be around long after I've met my maker. Keep in mind that shipping is separate and is paid directly to the carrier. You can reduce the shipping costs if you want to pick the pallet up at the terminal. Also, the safes listed above come in different configurations as listed on their website. I just listed the max capacity for each one and are for long guns.

Are those dimensions exterior or interior? How tall is the person installing the pins? I don't mean this in a negative way, but that picture makes the safe look freakin' huge.

How many pins hold it together? How big are they? I assume there's at least two along each bottom and top edge, and three along the vertical edges.

Do you have any pictures of the pins and how they go in?

$2,654 seems like a lot of money, except that it's for a huge safe that seems to be quite... um... safe :)

That looks like an S&G spin dial with key lock. It's the same one that is on my safe. I really like the lock. It is different from the typical combination lock spin dial, in that you spin it four times to the left, three times to the right, two times to the left, and then back to the right past zero. The key lock does not override the dial lock (the key alone will not open the safe), it just locks the dial so nobody can turn it.

I like the fact that even if someone knew the combo, most people still wouldn't be able to open the safe because they wouldn't know how the dial sequence goes.

You, of course, know all of this because it's your safe. I just thought others might be interested.

That is a nice looking safe, and I think it's a great option for those who have smaller access to their homes or move frequently. Thanks for the review.

Thank you so much for the review. It is extremely informative.

However, I do not know of any worthwhile project if no F-bombs are used. And I'm with you that the beer had nothing to do with the lock issue. That was definitely a manufacturer issue. Glad it worked out.

Seriously though, I saw a youtube of one of these being built. I was extremely impressed. Nobody is walking away with a 925lb safe loaded with guns that could easily up the weight to over 1,200 lbs. As far as prying into it, if nobody knows you have it they will not be prepared to make that attack on it. And even so the seams are tight so that deters a pry bar attack. To go one step further an alarm system linked to a monitoring company and there is barely time to scratch the paint before the police arrive. Not recommending you do the alarm thing just saying in general...

For the size and money and portability of this safe it is definitely a consideration for me. I have a very narrow area to get through for where I would install it too. Was shocked to find out about the wait time though.

Again, thank you so much for the review and the pics.

Good questions Milktree. I copied the dimensions from their brochure. When I get home tonight, I'll measure them to be sure but I want to say that they are exterior. I figured that I'd get a couple comments on the photo of my friend inside the safe. I can't say that I've ever measured him or asked him what his height is but I'd probably put him around 5'8". As you can see, he had no problem standing inside the safe. I'm 6'0" and could have easily stood inside as well but I might have had to crouch a bit once the top was put on. The pins are 3/8" solid steel. There are 3 pins on each vertical wall corner, 2 pins on the top and bottom sides and 3 more pins on the front and back for a total of 32 pins (I believe - I'm sitting here in my office at work trying to count them in my head). I can verify when I get home tonight.

Nice safe. Congrats. I'd get one but I don't drink any more, JK.

. . . but do you now drink any less? [wink] [laugh]

Do they offer the fireproofing material as an option?

Having seen many house fires over the years, I'd say that our risk is greater from fire than from theft. Very few thieves will spend 15-30 minutes in a home to break into a safe. Almost all are "smash and grab" perps who want to get out of the house within 3-5 minutes tops.

Do they offer the fireproofing material as an option?

Having seen many house fires over the years, I'd say that our risk is greater from fire than from theft. Very few thieves will spend 15-30 minutes in a home to break into a safe. Almost all are "smash and grab" perps who want to get out of the house within 3-5 minutes tops.

Unfortunately, no they do not offer fireproofing as an option. For me, that was a trade off that I had to accept. Moving a large, exceptionally heavy fireproof safe into my house was not an option. I had a smaller one and we weren't able to maneuver it within the house so it ended up in my garage. Thus, I knew that modular was really the way I had to go. A buddy of mine had a very expensive fireproof safe and had a house fire. When he was finally able to go back and look at what was left (his house was a total loss), all of his firearms in the safe was scorched and ruined (it has also fallen through the floor and found it in the basement). Granted, this was an extreme case and hopefully most house fires won't get that bad. If one is pretty ingenious, I don't see why one couldn't add some fireboard in a Zanotti. You would need to trim the shelves to fit it, but there is some room for it.

Unfortunately, no they do not offer fireproofing as an option. For me, that was a trade off that I had to accept. Moving a large, exceptionally heavy fireproof safe into my house was not an option. I had a smaller one and we weren't able to maneuver it within the house so it ended up in my garage. Thus, I knew that modular was really the way I had to go. A buddy of mine had a very expensive fireproof safe and had a house fire. When he was finally able to go back and look at what was left (his house was a total loss), all of his firearms in the safe was scorched and ruined (it has also fallen through the floor and found it in the basement). Granted, this was an extreme case and hopefully most house fires won't get that bad. If one is pretty ingenious, I don't see why one couldn't add some fireboard in a Zanotti. You would need to trim the shelves to fit it, but there is some room for it.

IIRC, the fireproofing is either sheetrock or cement board (unsure which) and thus could be added. So a modular safe where you insert the fireproofing panels is entirely possible. Too bad Zanotti doesn't offer that option.

Sorry to hear of your buddy's loss. I know that fire ratings vary drastically amongst safes as does how hot a house fire can get, so none are a guarantee of safety in every case.

Zanotti has great customer service. I have the 6' ZAIII. I got it used, and didn't like the shelf setup. I called Zanotti to see about buying several shelves to set it up the way I wanted it. They shipped me 4 new shelves for $50 to cover the shipping cost.

I have been looking at these safes on line for years. I needed a motorcycle trip. So, one day in March 2019 I rode from Dallas to Waterloo, Iowa, (1000 miles in 18 hours) to visit the factory in March of 2019. One of the owners gave me a personal tour of the factory. He had retired from John Deer across the street and bought Zanotti from the original founder. Since his acquisition he has expanded into a larger place but still behind on orders.

I was not only impressed by the friendliness of the owner but also by the factory and the safe itself. These are quality. If you have a chance visit the factory do so. Call ahead to be sure someone will be available to give you a tour. All of the folks there were very friendly.

By the way Waterloo is where the five Sullivan Brothers were from. All five were killed in WWII on the same ship.

I will be buying the big safe. I am behind schedule in refinishing the room I will put it in or I would have ordered it the day I was there.

I like my Zanotti safe. I dislike myself for not going up a size. Take it from me (and many others) that whatever you think you need, go up one size. You’ll be surprised how much scopes can take out of the center well.

Back
Top Bottom