• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

my new toy

So finally after lots of thinking and saving up some money, I purchased my first handgun, a Beretta 92 FS. I took it to the range and was very impressed. The gun shoots as good as it looks. I am already hooked on it. I spent a good deal of money on the gun, ammo, preban mag, holster, ears and a cleaning kit and I still want to spend even more on this thing. Do any of you guys use this as a carry gun? What kind of holster do you use? I bought the blackhawk serpa holster for now as a range holster but concealing that with the paddle attachment leaves a little to be desired. BTW I am 6'3" and 190 lbs.

I'm at work now but I'll post pics when I get home.

WOOOOO HOOOOO!

I also want to give a two thumbs up to the guys at Four Seasons. It was my first trip up there and everything you guys have said about them was true. They were very helpful with assisting me with whatever I needed.(I have to look at the receipt again but I think I got a free box of ammo too). It was definitley worth the drive up there from Mansfield.

EDIT: PICS!
DSC_1278.jpg

DSC_1282.jpg

DSC_1284.jpg

DSC_1285.jpg

DSC_1286.jpg

Last edited:
I have a '83 Beretta 92F, like you, I think it is a great gun.
For carry, look for a good quality pancake or IWB and a good belt, it's a little big, but with a little planning it is concealable.

I have had good luck with Safariland duty style gear.

Congrats....

Great gun....I'd get an IWB for concealment. It's kinda big, I'd consider it a "winter" gun....but it all depends. I plan on carrying my Glock 22 RTF this winter....which is about the same size...

In any event, 92 FS is a good gun...enjoy.

I've been eyeing this firearm as well. Glad to heard good stuff about it. I'd like to see pics of it along with anything else you got. Is this your first and how much (approximately) did you pay for it?

Thanks for the inputs on holsters everyone. Its good to hear that this one can be concealed because I don't need to spend anymore money on a dedicated carry gun. Or do I.......[wink]

I've been eyeing this firearm as well. Glad to heard good stuff about it. I'd like to see pics of it along with anything else you got. Is this your first and how much (approximately) did you pay for it?

Yes, this is my first handgun. The gun itself was $580 but with the ammo, ears, holster, and cleaning kit (and the new sales tax, thanks alot Deval Patrick!) it came to about $750. Pics of everything will be up around 6 when I get home

Yes, this is my first handgun. The gun itself was $580 but with the ammo, ears, holster, and cleaning kit (and the new sales tax, thanks alot Deval Patrick!) it came to about $750. Pics of everything will be up around 6 when I get home

Congrats on the purchase and your first handgun. [cheers] Those berettas are great shooters and you will love it!

Dude, if I (5'9" 180) can carry a S&W .44 MAGNUM and have no one notice, you can carry that thing anywhere.

DSC00485.jpg

Okay - so here's a perfect time to ask - and maybe burst your bubble!!! I'm looking at a 92FS as my first handgun. The local guys has preban mags as well. Another DEALER stated that it is illegal to put a preban mag (15 rounds) in a postban gun. In other words it is a felony to have more than 10 rounds in a post ban gun - regardless of the age of the magazine.

So this then forces the question "why do you need 15 rounds anyway?" Carry another 10 in a seperate magazine. If you unload 20 rounds and need more (yet 15/30 would have done it), you got bigger problems!

Okay - so here's a perfect time to ask - and maybe burst your bubble!!! I'm looking at a 92FS as my first handgun. The local guys has preban mags as well. Another DEALER stated that it is illegal to put a preban mag (15 rounds) in a postban gun. In other words it is a felony to have more than 10 rounds in a post ban gun - regardless of the age of the magazine.

So this then forces the question "why do you need 15 rounds anyway?" Carry another 10 in a seperate magazine. If you unload 20 rounds and need more (yet 15/30 would have done it), you got bigger problems!
If that were the case anyone with a pre ban mag and post ban firearm would be in jail. It's the MAGAZINE that's illegal not the firearm. I heard that little "chestnut" at a gun show in 2002/2003. and considering this state's hatred of firearms ownership why didn't the legislators just say "no firearms capable of using a hi cap mag are allowed in Ma?"

Did it include all 3 mags, or was the third one an additional purchase?

It came with two 10rd mags. Four Seasons is running a deal where you can get a preban 15 rd mag for only $10 with the purchase of a 92FS.

False. Preban mag in any gun is perfectly legal. If there is any doubt, check with Four Seasons. They know all the laws and would not sell anything that is illegal

The Dealer is wrong.

Never trust a dealer for legal advice.

Even the Good Guys are wrong a lot; case in point; Pete's Gun Shop in Adams, MA. I love it in there.. From the cool shop dog, (and the new pup!) to the t-shirts, to the help who is more than willing to let you fondle their whole case of pistols while offering a Gatorade and a smile, it's my shop of choice. HOWEVER - the day I go to them for legal advice is the day I ask my drain guy at work how to wire up a tanning bed. Fact is that I've heard some misinformation with my own two ears on more than one occasion. It happens; these guys are too busy keeping track of inventory, ordering whatever they can get their hands on, and watering the mutts to be up to snuff on all the devilish intricacies of MA firearms law.

[smile]

This was an individual within the world of law enforcement as well...which again doesn't mean a whole lot unless he's the one arresting you!! But his point was that if he finds a preban mag in a post ban gun, one if not both are being confiscated and you may be in big trouble.

Anyway, how do you know a magazine is "pre-ban"? Is it simply that they stopped making magazines once the ban was enacted. I'm new to this....sorry. When I picked up my LTC I got a few page sheet with "quick reference" type information (which is now at work). It said something about a maximum of 10 rounds and something about "being able to accept more than 10 rounds".

I looked all around the mass.gov site and couldn't find the section that I'm referring to. I can see both sides and need to find / reread that text I was looking at.

This of course has implications for purchasing a new AR-15, for example, and then going to the BIG E and buying a few 30 round magazines. My friend purchased one at the last show and it came with a 30 round mag, so what this guy is saying is either crap, or like the other guy posted, "everyone is breaking the rules and we'd all be in jail!"

I was cruising around the mass laws section of NES forum. It sure seems like the magazine is the critical item here. [Section 131M?] Apparently there MAY be a date or MAY NOT be a date on magazines (depending on what firearm it is for). If you're a stickler about this, make sure you have a preban confirmed date on the mag. If there is any question, either get rid of them or keep it VERY low key and hope there isn't some "hot shot LEO" who wants to bust your stones.

Dealers in this state tend to make up their own nutty laws due to mis information and fear of the state.

Prebans are perfectly legal.....but if your worried about some LEO making up laws carry a couple tens.....

Many manufacturer mags have no date on them (Glock, etc) and no way to ID as preban other than the register reciept from the MA store you bought them from........

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom