• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

My new-to-me 1884 Springfield Trapdoor

jpm

I picked up a nice 1884 Springfield Trapdoor rifle a couple of weeks ago. The stock was pretty much black with grime and the barrel had a bit of grit on it above the woodline, but the bore looked decent and all the cartouches were present and strong. Didn't look like it had been sanded or otherwise messed with. It was advertised as an 1873 because of the breech block (which is a type 6 so looks like 1878 but its just a deep 3) but it is obviously an 1884 according to the serial # and 1888 SWP stamp, etc. Got it for a bit less than asking price, so I was happy with the price. I was told the MASS stamped on the receiver means it was issued to the MA national guard. Not sure if that's true so if anyone knows, I'd love to hear more.

Took it home and started to clean up the stock with some Murphy's oil soap and it was pretty filthy but with that and a little 0000 steel wool, the grain was showing again. Looked very nice when wet so I couldn't wait to try out my new bottle of pure Tung oil on it. Thanks to Mac1911 for the instructions on applying it. This is after 2 hand-rubbed coats and that's all it really needs. Metal cleaned up nicely with some brass wool and CLP. A little cleaning of the bore and I was quite surprised to see it shine like a mirror inside! This must have been cleaned after its last use and put over someone's mantle or something.

With great care I removed all the metal and none of the screw were frozen and the lock mechanism was very clean, no crud in there. The barreled action was most difficult to remove because the tang was held in the wood pretty tightly, I don't think it had ever been off. I was able to finally coax it out and complete the stock cleaning and oiling. No pitting or even crud below the woodline, pristine barrel and receiver both.

The Buffington sight was a little f'd up, someone had pinned the windage part long long ago (not uncommon) and there were a couple of dents on the side of it too which kept it from pivoting but I was able to finally get it apart and ground out the pin and smoothed out the dents and now the windage works again, no effortlessly but it works. Got everything cleaned and oiled and finally put her all back together this weekend.

In the meantime I got the Poyer & Riesch book and went over every part and it is all original with the exception of the 1873 breech block which was apparently replaced a long time ago (though it appears they used the 1884's components in it when they replaced it) and the rear screw that attaches the sight to the barrel is a repro. Otherwise she's as issued and I can't wait to take her to the range!

Enjoy the pics...

af9gll.jpg

15qrsd0.jpg

33ykhgy.jpg
a2duf7.jpg

k3ugs5.jpg
2dv4xnd.jpg

I do reload other calibers, haven't done 45-70 yet but I'd probably use the smokeless powder I have now since I found data using them for this vintage rifle and the appropriate pressures

Thanks! Someone else had mentioned Trail Boss for it as well so it sounds like a popular choice

The metal and wood looks great! Good job. I don't know much about these rifles but they look nice. How long is it? Looks like it's over 6 ft long in the picture lol.

Nice job on that. I glanced quickly at the first 2 photos before reading, I thought it was a reproduction. Very nice.

Nice job; I especially like the 'MASS' stamping. I like to see the real old ones posted. Did any of the parts come in the butt trap?

T

Nice job; I especially like the 'MASS' stamping. I like to see the real old ones posted. Did any of the parts come in the butt trap?

T

No butt trap on the 1884 or 1873 rifles, unfortunately. That came later and on carbines.

The MASS stamp is what really attracted me to it, gave it that connection to history that makes it a little more special to me. I was told they referred to these as 'church guns' because many times they would store them in the church behind the organ for safe keeping in case of indian attack.

Finally got this out to the range this afternoon. Probably the first time its been fired in 50 years. Kicks like a friggin mule! Makes mosins feel tame lol. Shot well though, right on the money windage wise but shoots high at 50 & 100 yards of course. Had to use a little kentucky windage but was able to hit the steel at 100 yards ok. Can't wait to try some softer reloads though.

It was a toss up today to take the Savage, Kar98a, or the Trapdoor. Savage won as it had been 15 months since I shot it. They are a hoot to shoot.

T

Back
Top Bottom