• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

My new target rifle.

My recent purchase of a Remington 700 sps varmint has turned out to be a good buy. It was to get my foot through the door of medium/long range shooting and upgrade it over time. Any suggestions on what some of the first things I should take care of on this gun should be? I put a Nikon pro staff 3-12x40mm on it as its what I could afford.

I was thinking:
new stock
Trigger.

I am no expert long range shooter but I think you can't go wrong with a new trigger if you feel it is needed. All I wanted to add is that I am jealous...I have wanted a 700 for a while but have yet to pull the trigger myself. Enjoy it!

theres a great thread in the training subforum about long range shooting

New trigger isnt really nessecary i really didnt mind the 700's x pro or mark or whatever you call it trigger. But a new stock is definetly a must.

Stock on this gun is very flimsy

yea not the greatest it'll do but you want somthing more solid.

on the low end choate, B&C toward the higher end Manners, HS, McMillian, AI. Or you could go with a chassis setup.

If it was my gun and i didnt have a ton of money B&C but if i had money to burn Manners all day everyday.

Freefloat, and bedding if you go with a tradtional stock. if you go with a chassis then it's not really needed.

As for scope i think you'll be fine, you'll probably upgrade to somthing better in due time. I like the SWFA SS 10x or the Weaver Grandslam Tactical. Vortex is another good brand and people are saying good things about Millet (even though they are budget scopes)

Yea it's a great start. Now I just have to get a membership to a gunclub.

- - - Updated - - -

Yea it's a great start. Now I just have to get a membership to a gunclub.

Trigger and stock/chassis will get the gun to it's full potential in terms of accuracy. If you buy a chassis, you don't have to bed it like you would with a stock. I would suggest the XLR or AICS.

What caliber?
I like the Nikon 3 - 9x, have them on several hunting rifles.
If you want to shoot little groups at longer distances, you will likely need more scope. I use tasco 6 - 24X target/ varmit scope on mine for range work (works for coyotes out to 350 fine with .243). I consider them disposble scopes (less than $100). Have not broken one yet of the three I own, but would not trust them in wet weather hunting. Hunting rifles get Nikons or Leupolds.

I think the first thing I'm going to do to this is detachable magazine swapout

Then buy a chassis that has one built in rather than buying a new stock + a DBM kit.

XLR all the way. It complements my wallpaper nicely as well.

photo-2-1_zpsd68d601f.jpg

Those Hogue overmolded stocks are a pain. Go with Bell+carlson medalist. Gret stock with a decent pricetag. Next on my list would be a better glass and rings. Take it from there. And don't forget the bipod.

Back
Top Bottom