• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

my new Ruger SR9C

Michele

NES Member
Finally settled on a new cc and the Ruger SR9C won. I had been looking
at the S&W Shield 9 and this one. While the Shield is smaller, the sr9c
just seemed more of a comfortable hold for me. The slide takes a little more muscle to rack,
and the grooves on it were sharp enough to cut my fingers, but I got no problem getting
a round in the chamber, and carefully filed the edges down on the grooves to get rid of the sharpness. Much better.
Put 110 rounds through it Friday night and love everything about it.
The recoil is almost non-existent compared to my S&W 6904, and
the trigger is simply awesomeness.
Not sure on a holster yet but gravitating toward the belly wrap holsters.
CDA5668C-F923-4798-90B5-68A543F87C60-4253-000027262B943830_zpscb733a4a.jpg

AE14F22F-85F3-47CC-8C64-A3DB5735EF9E-4253-00002727594DAEE5_zpsf67776cc.jpg

First ten rounds from it at 7 yards.
737084F2-7D0C-46A5-846F-711A66C311F3-4240-000027247F0AD417_zps2058cbdd.jpg

I love my sr9c! I probably have close to 1800 rounds through it, no problems!

Congrats - I love my sr9c. Have Have a crossbreed super tuck and love it. Don't know where you're located but if anywhere near westfield you're more then welcome to try the holster on

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4 Active using Forum Runner

Congrats on the SR9c. I love mine. I quickly learned I have to use the overhand racking method and have had no problems.

The two suggestions I make for every new SR series owner are:

1. Clean the striker channel and don't lube it. I had light strikes a-go-go until I did this.
2. Remove the mag safety so that: you can dry fire without a magazine and you don't have a stupid mag safety. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8dHXND_9-bE)

Mine rides comfortably in a CompTac MTAC. I put some rubber Talon Grips on it and it's even better.

Can you replace the recoil spring to make a little bit easier to rack?

I have a full size SR9 and it's a great firearm, nice trigger out of the box compared to any of the M&Ps

Can you replace the recoil spring to make a little bit easier to rack?

I doubt it. You need to slow the slide in a very short distance. Using a lighter spring would probably lead to the gun beating the hell out of itself.

Maybe not, IANAG(unsmith)

It's not necessary for me to mess with changing anything, just noted it
takes a little more muscle. Worth mentioning for people who may
be considering this gun but may not have a lot of strength.
I don't have a problem with it as I said.

Congrats on the SR9c. I love mine. I quickly learned I have to use the overhand racking method and have had no problems.

1. Clean the striker channel and don't lube it. I had light strikes a-go-go until I did this.
2. Remove the mag safety so that: you can dry fire without a magazine and you don't have a stupid mag safety. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8dHXND_9-bE)

Mine rides comfortably in a CompTac MTAC. I put some rubber Talon Grips on it and it's even better.

+1
mag safety awful but very easy to remove.
just replace if sending it back to ruger for any work.
def clean striker channel - i do w all new striker fire guns. Whatever shmootz they put in the factory gets the channel all mucked up.

Excellent recommendations! The mag safety removal is essential if you ever plan to dry fore the gun, otherwise you can/will eventually damage the striker! I also agree that the Talon grips really transform the feel of the gun! I can't believe I waited a couple of years before I decided to do the Talons - big mistake!

It is a bit stiff out of the box but breaks in and becomes slightly easier to rack. What a freaking Solid gun. Points nice and shoots great groups. Eats anything.

Excellent recommendations! The mag safety removal is essential if you ever plan to dry fore the gun, otherwise you can/will eventually damage the striker! I also agree that the Talon grips really transform the feel of the gun! I can't believe I waited a couple of years before I decided to do the Talons - big mistake!

I hemmed and hawed about putting the Talon Grips on a couple other handguns because for some reason $18 was too much (uh, how much is ammo, dummy). Anyway, as soon as I finished putting the grips on I said "Well damn, I wish I had done that a long time ago".

Talon needs an app so when I buy a new gun I can immediately order a set of grips before the afterglow of buying the gun wears off.

I hemmed and hawed about putting the Talon Grips on a couple other handguns because for some reason $18 was too much (uh, how much is ammo, dummy). Anyway, as soon as I finished putting the grips on I said "Well damn, I wish I had done that a long time ago".

Talon needs an app so when I buy a new gun I can immediately order a set of grips before the afterglow of buying the gun wears off.

Haha, I agree! It was the damnedest thing with me because, I read about them here and there over the past year, or so, yet never actually ordered them because like you, it seemed a bit expensive for some pre-cut grip tape. I finally got sick of the slipperiness of the factory grip though, which is even worse when you have large hands like I do, AND use the flat mag bottoms for better concealment. The actual "grip" area becomes very small, and I was thinking that under stress it might slip, or whatever if my grip wasn't perfect on the draw. I realized this while practicing my draw. If I wasn't carrying it, I would even opt for the sandpaper ones, but felt that they would be too abrasive to clothing, holster, and even my torso if I wasn't wearing a tshirt. I will never own any poly gripped gun again without adding these immediately!

love mine, with 300 flawless rounds through it. sadly, I have to sell it because I've overextended myself in respect to guns/money, having just spent over a grand on a 50 year old 1911, and 900 for a Garand at an auction
btw, I love my inside the pants Elite holster-snug, secure, accessible, cheap!
enjoy!

I watched the video and took the mag safety out of mine. When the video was over, another one came up about a simple trigger job you could do. It just involved polishing a couple of parts and dry lubing it with graphite. Has anyone tried this and if so, how were the results?

I watched the video and took the mag safety out of mine. When the video was over, another one came up about a simple trigger job you could do. It just involved polishing a couple of parts and dry lubing it with graphite. Has anyone tried this and if so, how were the results?

I have, and to be honest, I didn't notice a major improvement since my trigger was already excellent just from normal use. I think I noticed a bigger improvement in feel just from removing the mag safety. I don't own a trigger scale though, so I can't quantify an improvement either way.

Back
Top Bottom