• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

My new M1 from the CMP

dhuze

NES Member
An island surrounded by land on three sides
I received my new Springfield M1 garand last night. There was a ton of cosmoline on it especially inside the stock. I spent the evening cleaning it. It is made up of mostly HRA parts. The barrel, receiver, and op-rod are the only Springfield parts.

IMG_1391.jpg

IMG_1390.jpg

IMG_1395.jpg

IMG_1386.jpg

Is that a SA or HRA stock? My last HRA came last Monday with a new orange stock but some nice tiger stripes.

Jethro it's a service grade. It took right around 30 days from them receiving my order to delivery to my house.

Tommy it is an HRA stock. The last one I ordered came with the new stock, but not the orange one they have now.

I also have 4 cans of ammo coming Friday.

I hear many saying it's a pain to get the paperwork but once you do look out. I'm talking about the requirements but there pretty easy to satisfy.

The paperwork is easy but it does have to be notarized, the toughest part is you have to belong to a CMP affliliated club. The easiest way around this is to join the GCA (Garand Collectors Association) for $25 www.thegca.org You also have to prove firearms related activity, for this they accept a C&R license, military service, competition shooter...pretty easy to comply

I purchased a Springfield Service grade last year it it came in mint condition all springfield parts (none matching numbers) and an original stock in like new conditon other than having been sucking cosmoline for the past 60 years. To my surprise it has no import marks and doesn't even have the CMP cartouche on the stock!!!

The paperwork is easy but it does have to be notarized, the toughest part is you have to belong to a CMP affliliated club. The easiest way around this is to join the GCA (Garand Collectors Association) for $25 www.thegca.org You also have to prove firearms related activity, for this they accept a C&R license, military service, competition shooter...pretty easy to comply

You do know that GOAL is a CMP affiliated club and you are a member, right?

Being a GOAL member also qualifies as they are a CMP affiliated club. GOAL membership, C&R, and notarized paperwork and you're good to go.

eisenhow beat me by 2 minutes.[smile]

most ups stores notarize........best 2 guns i ever bought sight unseen, if i didnt need to have a root canal yesterday I would have ordered a 3rd

please before you buy a cmp rifle either the 600 service grade or the cmp special service grade or the cmp special go to your local source for guns and see what thry have for 1k or less........................then quickly get your paper work and order in. tip SEND IN your order with the paper work

Last edited:
Thanks guys, good to know. I'm debating which grade to purchase... service or special. Also, I'm not sure what the difference is between HRA and Springfield. Any suggestions?

Both manufacturers made solid rifles. Springfield produced M1s from the 1940s through the 1960s, so you may get a WWII rifle. HRA didn't start manufacturing until the 1950s, but their rifles have always been considered the nicest for fit and finish. Service Grades will be mixmasters but will be solid rifles and there is a chance that you will receive a cartouched WWII walnut stock. I have a few service grades and consider them one of the best values that a shooter/collector can find. You cannot find them at a shop or gun show in Service Grade condition for less than $900. The Service Grade Specials will have (relatively) nicer metal, but they will have new production stocks and stock metal. They will be very nice, but I personally much prefer the USGI stocks as they have character and a story behind them. I would actually choose the Service Grade over the Special even if they were the same price (Special is presently $300 more). Also, because it is luck of the draw, I have friends who have ordered Service Grades and still received the new CMP stocks.

You can write any special requests (USGI stock, WWII receiver, etc...) on a sticky with your order and they do their best to accommodate. Good luck.

Both manufacturers made solid rifles. Springfield produced M1s from the 1940s through the 1960s, so you may get a WWII rifle. HRA didn't start manufacturing until the 1950s, but their rifles have always been considered the nicest for fit and finish. Service Grades will be mixmasters but will be solid rifles and there is a chance that you will receive a cartouched WWII walnut stock. I have a few service grades and consider them one of the best values that a shooter/collector can find. You cannot find them at a shop or gun show in Service Grade condition for less than $900. The Service Grade Specials will have (relatively) nicer metal, but they will have new production stocks and stock metal. They will be very nice, but I personally much prefer the USGI stocks as they have character and a story behind them. I would actually choose the Service Grade over the Special even if they were the same price (Special is presently $300 more). Also, because it is luck of the draw, I have friends who have ordered Service Grades and still received the new CMP stocks.

You can write any special requests (USGI stock, WWII receiver, etc...) on a sticky with your order and they do their best to accommodate. Good luck.

Thanks for the info! I think the special is only $100 more ($895/$995).

There is the Service ($595), the Service Special ($895), and the Special ($995). Its confusing sometimes.

I was referring to the SA or HRA in regular Service Grade for $595. The don't have anymore Service Grade Winchesters available.

There is the Service ($595), the Service Special ($895), and the Special ($995). Its confusing sometimes.

I was referring to the SA or HRA in regular Service Grade for $595. The don't have anymore Service Grade Winchesters available.

Oh, you're right. My mistake.

Back
Top Bottom