• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

My new Hi-Point .40 Carbine

Despite what I have read (mostly negative feedback) regarding this "cheap" brand I decided to take the plunge and get one. I headed south to Flint in Fall River, MA as they were the only ones with any stock. Upon arrival, they did not have the handguns in stock but had this carbine. For less than $300.00 dollars I picked one up.

In summary, I had a blast with it. I put 300 rounds of PMC and Blazers through it and it handled them beautifully. No failures or jams at all. I finished the range stint with pain on my thumb from loading the magazine
biggrin.gif

The recoil was minimal and despite the windage being wrong on the iron sights once I made the corrections it was dead on!! at least at 50yds (I did not try 100yds at Braintree). It is not a light gun in my opinion but looks awesome with the covers and rails that it comes with. Some of the metal covers look like they were painted with a sharpie but I guess I could re-paint them down the road. I am heading out to the range later today to play with it some more.

I ventured with field stripping it and although it was unusual it really was not too bad. Lots of sharp edges amongst the parts but no biggie, just be careful if you have one.

I have read many many opinions on line for this gun and the majority are bad. I have re-read most of those and found them to be from people that dont own one. For now I am happy with this purchase. 300 rounds right out of the box and no single feed or fire issue from a "blow back style long gun" is very good in my book. I own another .40 cal gun so I can share ammo
smile.gif

I will update later with some more observations and hopefully some pictures LOL

wink.gif

I have found that the majority of Hipoint carbine owners love their rifle. It is what it is, a low cost, fun range plinker. People think that the low price means that it is junk but they are pretty good for the price point.

Nice write up. I agree with what you said about the negative feedback. I read all that and still got a .9mm from the group buy. It was no mistake, its a great gun and very fun and reliable. Welcome aboard the horrible HI Point bandwagon. Good luck, have fun and shoot well.

How long are the barrels on these things, 18"? What were you grouping at 50 with the .40? When you start shooting 100...100+ yards with the .40 cartridge come back and do another report please.

Thanks to all. Just got back from the range. I finished sighting it but it was time to close so I will have to measure my performance the next time. Braintree closes the outdoors ranges at dusk. From the target I was using it looks like it is pretty accurate with me hitting the bulls eye several times :) . I don't normally shoot with a rifle stand and was shooting off-hand this time. I find the peep hole sights to be adequate, my only nit is that I had to adjust the rear windage a good deal to the left as it was shooting to the right. I believe that the barrel is a 16". It is not the prettiest gun there is but it seems to work well.

I picked up a 9mm a couple of weeks ago, and I also love the thing. I had to make a small adjustment to get it zeroed at 25 yards, and the next thing I knew I was blowing up cans of soda at 50 yards. I love the iron sights they put on these things.

I've probably run about 250-300 rounds through mine, also without a single glitch. I haven't tried mine at 100 yards yet either.

I picked mine up at Lee's Gun Shop in Hudson, NH. He sells them at MSRP ($285 for the 9mm), and seems to be able to get as many as he wants from his distributor.

Back
Top Bottom