• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

My new favorite .45 load.

I've been tweaking and playing with a few different loads, bullets, etc. Well I think I found one I really like-

W231 5.2 Gr
Berry 230Gr TMJ (Plated)
COL 1.260"
Primer WLP
Brass- Whatever I have or find

Nice easy load, not too hot. I shot a 1" group off hand, SA from my P220ST at 45 feet today. I've never done anything like that before! Maybe it was just luck (likely) but I think I'll use this recipe again for sure. I didn't have any problem at all with the plated bullets and their extra protection from lead is a nice side benefit.

[shocked] Nice shootin'! Wow!

I'll be totally honest with you. I've never shot anything quite like that before. My typical 5 shot groups, slow fire, ~50ft tend to be in the 3-4" range depending on the day, guns, etc. A typical good group for me is 2-3". The only reason I posted it is because I don't have lots of friends that I shoot with and was very excited. I'll give credit to the gun and loads. [wink]

If you want to try a soft shooting load, try 3.9 gr of Clays (not Universal Clays) under a 230gr plated bullet. Clean shooting too!
If we can get together sometime, I will let you try a few.

The only reason I posted it is because I don't have lots of friends that I shoot with and was very excited.

I know how you feel. I had a similar experience last week and felt like I had to tell someone!

Lugnut said:
I'll give credit to the gun and loads. [wink]

But, YOU shot it! Now you know that you are capable of it, even if it is only when all the stars are aligned just right. Think back hard on that range session and try to think of what you were doing, how the trigger felt, sight alignment, etc. Capture that info and put it to work next range session, and the session after that. The goal is to force the stars into alignment.

Back
Top Bottom