My New Collection of Parts Called An AR15 Rifle

Status
Not open for further replies.
AR15's don't require break in to function properly.

This. I have built a half-dozen AR's (none gas piston) and none needed any breaking in to cycle the bolt properly and reset the trigger.

I would surmise the gas piston set up is your real issue. If the trigger is really not resetting, then buy replacement mil spec trigger parts for $30 or so and swap them out. If you still experience your issue, it's not the trigger.

IMO, it's not the trigger.

Since I am not familiar with the inner working of AR's, is it possible that the bolt did not fully cycle, failing to reset the trigger, yet chamber a round?

Not possible. The carrier only needs to go back 1/4 to 1/3 of it's travel (if that) to reset the trigger on a properly functioning rifle. (Edit: On second thought, I have FA style carriers so you probably need more movement)

Your trigger group is likely way out of spec. I would probably stop shooting that rifle and figure out what is going on. The last thing you want is for the rifle to double or run your 10 round mag dry on one pull. You'll likely get a fudd or over zealous police officer at your range to either report you or arrest you.

What he was saying is that the .223 ammunition did not have enough "oomph" to cycle the bolt..

My last AR build would fail to lock open on cheap Russian .223 because my mainspring was a +10% power flat spring. Taking a coil off resolved that. I doubt you have one of those in your lower so something else is probably out of spec if .223 doesn't have enough 'oomph'

Any off the shelf .223 in any grain should cycle the rifle.

This. I have built a half-dozen AR's (none gas piston) and none needed any breaking in to cycle the bolt properly and reset the trigger.

I would surmise the gas piston set up is your real issue. If the trigger is really not resetting, then buy replacement mil spec trigger parts for $30 or so and swap them out. If you still experience your issue, it's not the trigger.

IMO, it's not the trigger.

My Adams Arm's piston build never needed any break in. The OP hasn't stated that there are any FTE's or FTF's. Even if it was short stroking it should reset the trigger.

Last edited:
Agreed. A simple swap of all the trigger components would confirm if trigger is the issue or not. It should not take more than 10 min. to do the full swap once you have the parts to do so.

i suspect that the problem in the OP never happened, and this is another massive troll job.

You know whats going on. You keep telling us you're a smart guy. From what I've seen, you've trolled this place big time and made a bunch of people not like you in the process.

Yup, I know what is going on, I just told you. Actually, I am very satisfied with the "bunch" that does not like me. I have never worried about making everyone like me. I wasn't planning on joining hands and singing Kumbaya with any of you.

Not possible. The carrier only needs to go back 1/4 to 1/3 of it's travel (if that) to reset the trigger on a properly functioning rifle. (Edit: On second thought, I have FA style carriers so you probably need more movement)

Your trigger group is likely way out of spec. I would probably stop shooting that rifle and figure out what is going on. The last thing you want is for the rifle to double or run your 10 round mag dry on one pull. You'll likely get a fudd or over zealous police officer at your range to either report you or arrest you.

My last AR build would fail to lock open on cheap Russian .223 because my mainspring was a +10% power flat spring. Taking a coil off resolved that. I doubt you have one of those in your lower so something else is probably out of spec if .223 doesn't have enough 'oomph'

Any off the shelf .223 in any grain should cycle the rifle.

My Adams Arm's piston build never needed any break in. The OP hasn't stated that there are any FTE's or FTF's. Even if it was short stroking it should reset the trigger.

OK, based on what you are saying, I am going to take it in to the gunsmith. I was not using cheap Russian ammo. I am just not familiar enough with the mechanics of this rifle to work on it myself and have the confidence to know that I am doing it correctly.

There where never any FTE's or FTF's. Just the no trigger reset, which would reset if I moved the selector from Fire to Safe. As I also mentioned, the rifle started running much better this afternoon. No worries about Fudds at my range, the neighbors are all used to high rates of fire too.

The GS is probably going to think I am nutz, but what the heck, I would rather know that everything is ok.

i suspect that the problem in the OP never happened, and this is another massive troll job.

True, no one would buy a del- whatever lower with stag(?) upper with piston(?) and then be surprised that it's a POS. If it did indeed happen, the best advice would be bring the thing back or sell it, and get a rifle that's reliable.

More info on the "trigger reset" issue after hashing it over with the smith at the store.

The rifle is set up for 5.56mm. ahah. Now, I have never claimed to be an expert on AR15's by a long shot. So, yesterday, when I was purchasing this rifle, I asked the $25 question: "Will this also run .223 ammo without a problem?". Answer: "Absolutely." Then, when I purchased ammo, I asked for 5.56, but they did not have any, so I wound up with .223. Need I go into this any further? Here comes the good news, they replaced the ammo I fired with a free box of 5.56. Did not even ask them to do that.

It may also need a bit of adjustment of the gas piston.

Actually, you had the right idea, but asked the question wrong. The 5.56/.223 situation is related to the way the chamber is cut in the barrel and the the amount of leade. 5.56 chambers will always handle .223 ammo safely, but the reverse is not always true. But IMO, the ammo question has little to do with the problem of the "trigger not resetting."

I put that part in quotes because of something you said earlier. You said that moving the selector to safe, and then back to fire, would enable you to discharge a round. That indicates to me that the hammer is being moved to the cocked position, but for some reason the trigger group in your rifle is malfunctioning. Working the safety causes the trigger group to return to normal function.

If it were my rifle, I would be looking at the trigger group.

Regarding having to break-in the rifle, none of my ar15's have needed that. I did follow the factory reccomended "break-in" on a Bushmaster, but that was for seasoning the barrel to ensure long-term accuracy. They have all worked fine from the first round. I'm not saying that a break-in period is impossible, just that I have not encountered it. I do have one
lower with what I consider a crappy pull, but it's always been reliable, just not enjoyable.

I hope you are able to resolve your issue.

What?

You asked a question, it was answered, and you respond with a condescending rhetorical question?

What is your problem? Tell me, or I'll assume the worst.

People ASSUME that they know what the founders would say their intent was. They base this on reading other writings of the founders. However, the constitution was a collaboration, a work by committee, with a lot of give and take, no one got exactly what they wanted. So it is very difficult to tell with any absolute certainty.

The constitution has been debated since the day it was written, for Jose to make the statement he made is actually insulting, as if I am too stupid to understand, so he deserved the reply. See his response below. First he insults, then he tells me what they would say.

Scholars who have studied the constitution their entire careers debate these issues, but NES's very own Jose has the answer, and I am sure he would tell them that they were illiterate too.

If you could read, they would tell you themselves.

Yup, I know what is going on, I just told you. Actually, I am very satisfied with the "bunch" that does not like me. I have never worried about making everyone like me. I wasn't planning on joining hands and singing Kumbaya with any of you.

Obviously you don't play well with others so you'll just have to keep playing with yourself.

-tapatalk and Devin McCourty blow chunks-

Actually, you had the right idea, but asked the question wrong. The 5.56/.223 situation is related to the way the chamber is cut in the barrel and the the amount of leade. 5.56 chambers will always handle .223 ammo safely, but the reverse is not always true. But IMO, the ammo question has little to do with the problem of the "trigger not resetting."

I put that part in quotes because of something you said earlier. You said that moving the selector to safe, and then back to fire, would enable you to discharge a round. That indicates to me that the hammer is being moved to the cocked position, but for some reason the trigger group in your rifle is malfunctioning. Working the safety causes the trigger group to return to normal function.

If it were my rifle, I would be looking at the trigger group.

Regarding having to break-in the rifle, none of my ar15's have needed that. I did follow the factory reccomended "break-in" on a Bushmaster, but that was for seasoning the barrel to ensure long-term accuracy. They have all worked fine from the first round. I'm not saying that a break-in period is impossible, just that I have not encountered it. I do have one
lower with what I consider a crappy pull, but it's always been reliable, just not enjoyable.

I hope you are able to resolve your issue.

Thanks for that input. As I mentioned, I will have the gunsmith take a look since I do not the experience to know what I am looking at. I have never had to "break in" a trigger group or action either, so this whole thing surprised me. I am used to some other quirks, like a 1911 not feeding certain types of ammo properly, etc, but not this.

- - - Updated - - -

Obviously you don't play well with others so you'll just have to keep playing with yourself.

-tapatalk and Devin McCourty blow chunks-

If I need any advice on how to do that, I will ask for someone experienced in those matters, obviously, that would be yourself?

True, no one would buy a del- whatever lower with stag(?) upper with piston(?) and then be surprised that it's a POS. If it did indeed happen, the best advice would be bring the thing back or sell it, and get a rifle that's reliable.

That is right, no one buys them, I have the only one ever manufactured. I always admire someone who has a small problem, throws their hands up and quits. Sure I do.

People ASSUME that they know what the founders would say their intent was. They base this on reading other writings of the founders. However, the constitution was a collaboration, a work by committee, with a lot of give and take, no one got exactly what they wanted. So it is very difficult to tell with any absolute certainty.

The constitution has been debated since the day it was written, for Jose to make the statement he made is actually insulting, as if I am too stupid to understand, so he deserved the reply. See his response below. First he insults, then he tells me what they would say.

Scholars who have studied the constitution their entire careers debate these issues, but NES's very own Jose has the answer, and I am sure he would tell them that they were illiterate too.

The founders actually wrote down their intents.

Here's the cliff notes:

[video=youtube_share;1GNu7ldL1LM]http://youtu.be/1GNu7ldL1LM[/video]

The founders actually wrote down their intents.

Here's the cliff notes:

[video=youtube_share;1GNu7ldL1LM]http://youtu.be/1GNu7ldL1LM[/video]

You are preaching to the choir. I personally think the founders wanted us to have and bear arms as individuals, not just as a militia. The problem is that others chose to not view what is written that way. Therein lies the argument. Frankly, they make my ass tired with their arguments. Their arguments center around all the commas in that famous sentence. I like it interpreted so that it means I can have guns.

Seriously, do you mind me asking what the rifle set you back? I am curious because I want to know if you saved a boatload of money by using a DelTon lower.

I have a Stag Model 2 and an M&P sport and have never had a malfunction with either of them, regardless of what I shoot. I have heard good things about the Model 8, but the model 2 is a DGI rifle. My Stag cost $900 bucks new. I have seen them for a little more or a little less, but it was a decent price

Seriously, do you mind me asking what the rifle set you back? I am curious because I want to know if you saved a boatload of money by using a DelTon lower.

I have a Stag Model 2 and an M&P sport and have never had a malfunction with either of them, regardless of what I shoot. I have heard good things about the Model 8, but the model 2 is a DGI rifle. My Stag cost $900 bucks new. I have seen them for a little more or a little less, but it was a decent price

$1135, came with peep sights.

$1135, came with peep sights.

I think that is a few bucks less than I have seen the Model 8 complete from Stag. I had a Sig 556 which is also a piston gun and the damn thing was as reliable as the sun rise. I only sold it because it had fewer options for accessories. They also run a lot cooler than DGI guns. Early piston AR's were known to have problems, but i have read that most of them have been worked out.

I am certainly not an authority on AR's but really don't think that ammo is the most likely cause of the issues you had

Thanks for that input. As I mentioned, I will have the gunsmith take a look since I do not the experience to know what I am looking at. I have never had to "break in" a trigger group or action either, so this whole thing surprised me. I am used to some other quirks, like a 1911 not feeding certain types of ammo properly, etc, but not this.

Before you take the rifle back to the 'smith, why not try a little experiment? If you know someone who has a reliable AR, make a quick range trip. Switch your upper onto their lower. If everything in your rifle is in spec, it should only take you a minute. Try it with whatever ammo you have handy. If the problem goes away, you can safely rule out the chambering/ammo question.

Then try your lower on his/her upper and see if the problem occurs. Granted, it's a crude way of narrowing the problem, but you'll at least know if the problem is with the upper or lower.

My money would be on the lower. If so, you'll at least be able to save the 'smith some time and possibly save yourself some money.

I think that is a few bucks less than I have seen the Model 8 complete from Stag. I had a Sig 556 which is also a piston gun and the damn thing was as reliable as the sun rise. I only sold it because it had fewer options for accessories. They also run a lot cooler than DGI guns. Early piston AR's were known to have problems, but i have read that most of them have been worked out.

I am certainly not an authority on AR's but really don't think that ammo is the most likely cause of the issues you had
s

This one is complete from Stag, a Model 8. I am tending to agree with all the guys who are saying that the ammo is not the problem, given that I shot about 150 rounds this afternoon and the problem seemed to resolve itself.

Before you take the rifle back to the 'smith, why not try a little experiment? If you know someone who has a reliable AR, make a quick range trip. Switch your upper onto their lower. If everything in your rifle is in spec, it should only take you a minute. Try it with whatever ammo you have handy. If the problem goes away, you can safely rule out the chambering/ammo question.

Then try your lower on his/her upper and see if the problem occurs. Granted, it's a crude way of narrowing the problem, but you'll at least know if the problem is with the upper or lower.

My money would be on the lower. If so, you'll at least be able to save the 'smith some time and possibly save yourself some money.

That would work, but trying to coordinate that, and getting someone willing to do it would take a lot longer than just having the smith take a look. I am not worried about saving his time (he gets paid) and I am not worried about the money. He is pretty darned reasonable anyhow. Maybe I should buy a second one!!!!! The Department of Finance Budget and War may not be ready for that just yet.

For that much money, I would take it right back to person I bought it from. You could have had a Colt for that.

Yeah, that's nipping on the heels of Colt 6920 land... hell in some parts of the country they sell them at Wal Mart now! [rofl]

-Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom