My New Collection of Parts Called An AR15 Rifle

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bought an AR15 yesterday, Del-Ton Model 8. I would categorize that as upper lower-tier.

Brought it home, looked it over (had not really messed with that style of rifle since VietNam, other than occasionally shooting them at the range and in Vegas on full auto, M4's) and got familiar with it. Then it was off to the range, at which point it became a "collection of parts".

First thing, the trigger did not want to reset. Bang! Huh? Safety on, off, ok, now it goes Bang! again. That improved a bit after 30 rounds, would only do it after 6-7 rounds.

Trigger pull? OUTRAGEOUS! Maybe this is some kind of stupid Mass thing again? Or maybe in my senile years I forgot they were this heavy in the military, or I have gotten feeble?

Mag seating, have to SLAM it into place. Wifey is NOT going to like that one bit. (I was thinking about calling it a clip just to annoy folks who like to call old people Fudds, some of you name callers should bear in mind some of us "Fudds" were popping caps on M16's before you were born)

The good news. With a few tweaks of the front sight, the rifle shoots real well. Using the peeps, was easily busting clays at 100 yds.

Annoying: Mass making them pin the adjustable stock, I could stand to have it "adjusted" out a little further. Will need to work on that a bit.

Maybe I am just fussy? All of my guns are well tuned. I like fairly light trigger pulls. Yea, I know, this is supposed to be a combat weapon. But I am not picturing myself doing any CQB, sneaking around corners in my house late at night with my AR15. That is what I have a 1911 for. BOOM!

Nope, this rifle is for having fun, maybe a little varmint hunting someday. If some kind of strange war breaks out in the country, I will be shooting from about 300-400 yds with something a whole lot more lethal than .223. Ya gotta love us old Fudds after all, donchya?

Now I have to run it over to the gunsmith to see what can be done about the above mentioned annoyances. Then I have to see about getting some dies for the reloading press. It is a lot of fun to shoot, fortunately, my wife only shoots on weekends, so I get it all week to myself.

Ahh, yes, I do have a Bushnell Red Dot in my kit, I will have to mount that on there and have some fun with it.

About the mag seating, on just about any AR it is difficult to insert a fully loaded magazine against a closed bolt. Have you tried loading a mag with the bolt locked open? Or with a mag downloaded 2 rounds?

Sounds like a good buy. Trigger jobs on an AR are not too hard. I am an armorer in the army... But they didn't teach me that [smile]

Well, it is gonna be fun. I think the gunsmith at the store I purchased from will probably fix it up for me, if not, my regular smith always does a good job. Damn Army! Should teach guys the really useful stuff, huh?

About the mag seating, on just about any AR it is difficult to insert a fully loaded magazine against a closed bolt. Have you tried loading a mag with the bolt locked open? Or with a mag downloaded 2 rounds?

Good advice, I will definitely try that. However, it will grind my 'nads a bit to load 8 rounds, given the 10 round limit in this state. I remember only loading 18 in the M16, but that was cause the springs would not reliably feed?

Thanks for the advice!

1. Fudd

Slang term for a "casual" gun owner; eg; a person who typically only owns guns for hunting or shotgun sports and does not truly believe in the true premise of the second amendment. These people also generally treat owners/users of so called "non sporting" firearms like handguns or semiautomatic rifles with unwarranted scorn or contempt.

Are you a fudd?

Fudd is a four letter word

images

Captain Obvious is obvious

My m16 is not quite such a stiff trigger... might be the wear-in on the gun?

Don't bring it to a gunsmith for a trigger job. Replace entire trigger group with a Spike's Tactical Battle Trigger ($60) or Geisselle ($180). It's an easy DIY job. Why pay someone to tinker with the crappy parts? Now, I don't know what 10-rounders you're using, but pre-ban GI 30-rounders and 20-rounders (same ones you had in VietNam) should work just fine when loaded to full capacity. 20-rounders in particular are extremely reliable. I think I read somewhere that in Nam some grunts disassembled the mags for cleaning and put the spring back incorrectly. This resulted in diminished mag capacity. So it became a common practice to download the mags to ensure their functioning. `

1. Fudd

Slang term for a "casual" gun owner; eg; a person who typically only owns guns for hunting or shotgun sports and does not truly believe in the true premise of the second amendment. These people also generally treat owners/users of so called "non sporting" firearms like handguns or semiautomatic rifles with unwarranted scorn or contempt.

Are you a fudd?

I am having a little fun this morning. But to more or less answer your question:

My personal opinion is that there a few folks on this forum who view everything as black and white. When it comes to gun ownership and what a particular person believes in, it ranges from pure black to glaringly white. They are quick to label when someone does not agree with their particular viewpoint 100%. I have been called a "Fudd", when the MORON doing the name calling actually has no idea of what I shoot, why I shoot, whether I conceal carry, how often I shoot, whether I hunt or not, etc. All that MORON knows is that I did not agree with a particular viewpoint s/he may have had on a certain event or issue. What those MORONS never seem to understand is that very foundation of this country is tolerance in what others may believe.

So, am I a Fudd? Yes/No/Maybe. I don't drink anyone's Kool-Aid.

And btw, who says exactly what a "true belief" and the "true premise" concerning the 2A is anyhow? I am smart enough to realize that those who would deny us our rights, and create a "militia only" 2A, ACTUALLY believe that is the "true premise" of the 2A. They are as much "true believers" as any "true believer" on this forum. Personally, I think they are wrong. But for a person to state that they are right, because they are a "true believer" and know what the "true premise" is of the 2A is egotistical at best. And that goes BOTH ways, so don't get your undies in a knot.

As for the "unwarranted scorn or contempt"? I have seen it, and I have seen the opposite. Joe Tacticool shows up at range. Decked out in tactical gear. Huge chip on shoulder, practically begging someone to make a remark. Someone walks over, asks about his weapon, gets VERY curt answer. Has happened to me, and I am not against any of the tactical weapons, I am only curious as to what it is, etc. But the tone is there, he thinks I am Fudd because of my age. Mind my own business. Fine. The rest of us do not act that way, we actually talk to one another, he is looking for a confrontation. No one I know could care less if he fires 30 round mags. Some of us do, some of us have tactical weapons. He does not know that, but he had a chip on his shoulder. We host Vet shoots, we drag out every cool weapon we can find, the place sounds like a war zone! We love it. 5 round limits? Ohhhh, puhleeeze. But Joe Tacticool does not know any of that, the world is black and white to him.

But that is all ok, Joe will grow up one day, will run out of ranges where he feels all unwelcome and just have to deal with all the old "Fudds" and finally figure out we are not all "against him". Yea, there are some old aholes who annoy everyone, but you can't ago anywhere without finding a few of those.

Regarding the pinned stock - you can always un-pin the stock, adjust it to where you find it most comfortable, and then re-pin it.

images

Captain Obvious is obvious

My m16 is not quite such a stiff trigger... might be the wear-in on the gun?

With only about 50 rounds through it so far, could be. But then, I do a LOT of shooting, and, being the possible FUDD that I am, I am used to rifles that have nice, 3.5-4 lb trigger pulls without having to wear them in. But I am not really a Fudd. I just like nice triggers, like on my 1911, that trucks around with me most of the time. Oh, I ONLY carry that in case I see a rabbit or squirrel I might want to eat for dinner.

Don't bring it to a gunsmith for a trigger job. Replace entire trigger group with a Spike's Tactical Battle Trigger ($60) or Geisselle ($180). It's an easy DIY job. Why pay someone to tinker with the crappy parts? Now, I don't know what 10-rounders you're using, but pre-ban GI 30-rounders and 20-rounders (same ones you had in VietNam) should work just fine when loaded to full capacity. 20-rounders in particular are extremely reliable. I think I read somewhere that in Nam some grunts disassembled the mags for cleaning and put the spring back incorrectly. This resulted in diminished mag capacity. So it became a common practice to download the mags to ensure their functioning. `

I hear what you are saying, but damn, I am getting tired of buying stuff and then having to replace parts to get it to be RIGHT. I may not have to pay someone to tinker with it, the trigger reset is wrong, so they may get it straightened out when that gets fixed.

Hmmm, that is a good suggestion about the preban mags! My thinking had not shot that far forward yet. Thanks!

- - - Updated - - -

Regarding the pinned stock - you can always un-pin the stock, adjust it to where you find it most comfortable, and then re-pin it.

That is what I suggested when I was buying it, but they claimed it was adjusted full out. Not sure I bought that, it could be they just did not want to do the work? I have a really good smith, the guy does not always talk money. So I will check in with him, get his two cents worth and then figure out what to do.

Now I have to run it over to the gunsmith to see what can be done about the above mentioned annoyances. Then I have to see about getting some dies for the reloading press. It is a lot of fun to shoot, fortunately, my wife only shoots on weekends, so I get it all week to myself.

[STRIKE=a]Ir[/STRIKE]regardless of your trolling, I advise you not to do this.

Do the work yourself. Learn how to work on your rifle. Odds are that if you replace the trigger group with a compatible aftermarket set, you'll have a better trigger pull. All you really need are a pair of needle nose pliers, plastic bags (for catching parts), roller pin punches, and a hammer. Shouldn't cost your more than $30 in tools.

As far as the AR goes- congrats. They are very fun range toys. And they shoot well.

As for the "fudd" trolling to get a rise out of people - gtfo or please stfu. You profess that you're sick of the reactions you get on here, start your own forum that "disallows" that sort of banter, and then you post bullshit like this. It's hard to take you serious at your words as a result. It's contradictory- and take note of who is giving you this constructive criticism: It's not looking good for you.

Last edited:
Well, it is gonna be fun. I think the gunsmith at the store I purchased from will probably fix it up for me, if not, my regular smith always does a good job. Damn Army! Should teach guys the really useful stuff, huh?

Good advice, I will definitely try that. However, it will grind my 'nads a bit to load 8 rounds, given the 10 round limit in this state. I remember only loading 18 in the M16, but that was cause the springs would not reliably feed?

Thanks for the advice!

You know... it's perfectly legal to use 20-30 round mags (pre-ban), in this State... even though it's a post-ban AR.

I am having a little fun this morning. But to more or less answer your question:

My personal opinion is that there a few folks on this forum who view everything as black and white. When it comes to gun ownership and what a particular person believes in, it ranges from pure black to glaringly white. They are quick to label when someone does not agree with their particular viewpoint 100%. I have been called a "Fudd", when the MORON doing the name calling actually has no idea of what I shoot, why I shoot, whether I conceal carry, how often I shoot, whether I hunt or not, etc. All that MORON knows is that I did not agree with a particular viewpoint s/he may have had on a certain event or issue. What those MORONS never seem to understand is that very foundation of this country is tolerance in what others may believe.

So, am I a Fudd? Yes/No/Maybe. I don't drink anyone's Kool-Aid.

And btw, who says exactly what a "true belief" and the "true premise" concerning the 2A is anyhow? I am smart enough to realize that those who would deny us our rights, and create a "militia only" 2A, ACTUALLY believe that is the "true premise" of the 2A. They are as much "true believers" as any "true believer" on this forum. Personally, I think they are wrong. But for a person to state that they are right, because they are a "true believer" and know what the "true premise" is of the 2A is egotistical at best. And that goes BOTH ways, so don't get your undies in a knot.

As for the "unwarranted scorn or contempt"? I have seen it, and I have seen the opposite. Joe Tacticool shows up at range. Decked out in tactical gear. Huge chip on shoulder, practically begging someone to make a remark. Someone walks over, asks about his weapon, gets VERY curt answer. Has happened to me, and I am not against any of the tactical weapons, I am only curious as to what it is, etc. But the tone is there, he thinks I am Fudd because of my age. Mind my own business. Fine. The rest of us do not act that way, we actually talk to one another, he is looking for a confrontation. No one I know could care less if he fires 30 round mags. Some of us do, some of us have tactical weapons. He does not know that, but he had a chip on his shoulder. We host Vet shoots, we drag out every cool weapon we can find, the place sounds like a war zone! We love it. 5 round limits? Ohhhh, puhleeeze. But Joe Tacticool does not know any of that, the world is black and white to him.

But that is all ok, Joe will grow up one day, will run out of ranges where he feels all unwelcome and just have to deal with all the old "Fudds" and finally figure out we are not all "against him". Yea, there are some old aholes who annoy everyone, but you can't ago anywhere without finding a few of those.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaand, they're off!

Irregardless of your trolling, I advise you not to do this.

Do the work yourself. Learn how to work on your rifle. Odds are that if you replace the trigger group with a compatible aftermarket set, you'll have a better trigger pull. All you really need are a pair of needle nose pliers, plastic bags (for catching parts), roller pin punches, and a hammer. Shouldn't cost your more than $30 in tools.

As far as the AR goes- congrats. They are very fun range toys. And they shoot well.

As for the "fudd" trolling to get a rise out of people - gtfo or please stfu. You profess that you're sick of the reactions you get on here, start your own forum that "disallows" that sort of banter, and then you post bullshit like this. It's hard to take you serious at your words as a result. It's contradictory- and take note of who is giving you this constructive criticism: It's not looking good for you.

I can work on it, no problem. Just don't want to. Don't feel like digging through who has which trigger group, having to order it, wait for it, etc. I am VERY mechanically inclined. Hint: Built my own CNC controlled 3D router. I have pretty much any tool I would ever need for working on a rifle. Plus, I already have two project rifles in the works, a Mosin my wife bought, in cosmoline, and a really nice Browning A-Bolt someone painted black that needs to be refinished.

Earlier this summer, I completely tricked out my 10-22 for the heck of it, trigger group, barrel, stock, etc, so doing that stuff is no mystery. But your advice is spot on, I would recommend it to someone too.

Definitely wanted it to have fun with at the range, but I also want it to maybe do some varmint hunting at a later date. Will probably be going back to northern Wisconsin in a few years, LOTS of coyotes! Where we are going, I will have a choice between distance shooting and close in shooting, so it is pretty nice. Plus, I have started reloading, so I can really get some accuracy going in my rounds.

As for your last comment? That truly was shameless trolling of the 3rd order. But it was meant in fun. As for my forum? Reworking that a bit. Right now, it is blank as I reconsider a few things, like mainly how to keep Mr. Guatemala from posting about how to buy Electric Shavers for cheap.

I gave him a pass on that "irregardless". Irregardless of whether it is a word or not.

I have never forgotten about that word since I was in like 4th grade. We had this sub teacher, HUGE woman, she spent like half the day lecturing us about the word IRREGARDLESS. It may have been the only thing I learned that whole year. It is the one thing I remember, that is for sure.

honestly, the work involved with taking it to a gunsmith, explaining what you want, either having him order the parts (or you ordering them to take to him), paying him, leaving the shop, waiting, and then returning to the shop to pick up the rifle is probably more time, money, and effort than doing it yourself.

Granted, if you do it yourself, you do have to do a limited amount of research (probably a 5 minute google search), read a few tutorials, and then order the parts, and do the work yourself without losing any springs into outer space. So it's kind of a toss up. Do what floats your boat or whatever you enjoy more.

You know... it's perfectly legal to use 20-30 round mags (pre-ban), in this State... even though it's a post-ban AR.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaand, they're off!

Yup, knew that, but had not thought that far ahead yet with the other things I need to do.

And NO, they are NOT off today. THIS thread is about my new fun gun. Besides, I am heading off to get a few things fixed, then I am going to go shoot it, maybe, if they do not keep it for a day or so.

honestly, the work involved with taking it to a gunsmith, explaining what you want, either having him order the parts (or you ordering them to take to him), paying him, leaving the shop, waiting, and then returning to the shop to pick up the rifle is probably more time, money, and effort than doing it yourself.

Granted, if you do it yourself, you do have to do a limited amount of research (probably a 5 minute google search), read a few tutorials, and then order the parts, and do the work yourself without losing any springs into outer space. So it's kind of a toss up. Do what floats your boat or whatever you enjoy more.

Well, he is CLOSE. So no biggy there. He has done enough work for me, he knows exactly what I like. He is fast, well, one of the faster gunsmiths I have known.

Seriously, the guy is really good and reasonable. Been at it a long time. I tell him what I do not like, he says "Ok, come back tomorrow, with about $40." or something similar depending on the job. I pick up gun, take to range, gun works right.

Good example, one of my 1911's was flinging casings all over the place, a bit forwards, over my head, 15 feet to the right, etc. David, casings are going all over that place! Ok, come back tomorrow, about $40. Took gun to range, now all the casings land in a nice small area off to my right.

Thanks for all the good advice! I am heading out to do good deeds (aka, getting my rifle tuned up, etc)

More info on the "trigger reset" issue after hashing it over with the smith at the store.

The rifle is set up for 5.56mm. ahah. Now, I have never claimed to be an expert on AR15's by a long shot. So, yesterday, when I was purchasing this rifle, I asked the $25 question: "Will this also run .223 ammo without a problem?". Answer: "Absolutely." Then, when I purchased ammo, I asked for 5.56, but they did not have any, so I wound up with .223. Need I go into this any further? Here comes the good news, they replaced the ammo I fired with a free box of 5.56. Did not even ask them to do that.

It may also need a bit of adjustment of the gas piston.

More info on the "trigger reset" issue after hashing it over with the smith at the store.

The rifle is set up for 5.56mm. ahah. Now, I have never claimed to be an expert on AR15's by a long shot. So, yesterday, when I was purchasing this rifle, I asked the $25 question: "Will this also run .223 ammo without a problem?". Answer: "Absolutely." Then, when I purchased ammo, I asked for 5.56, but they did not have any, so I wound up with .223. Need I go into this any further? Here comes the good news, they replaced the ammo I fired with a free box of 5.56. Did not even ask them to do that.

It may also need a bit of adjustment of the gas piston.

.223 fires completely fine through a rifle chambered in 556.
Its the other way around that you would be worried about firing 556 through a rifle chambered for .223.

Thank goodness your smith was there to save the day though. ;)
He will probably test fire your rifle with it when he goes to test it out haha ...sorry its just funny to me.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom