• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

My new CMP Service Grade M1 Garand

My order just hit the E-store
Mailed everything in 9/17
Hit E-store 10/19
Says I should receive my Garand and ammo within 30 days of Order date of 10/19. If all goes well that puts me about 60 days start to finish.

Looks like my ammo will be here the 26th. Woo Hoo.

Last edited:
My rifle is still pending, but I just picked up my ammo this afternoon. All I can say is holy crap, 30-06 is a big b**ch. I'm dramatically less impressed with M855 now, lol.

Thanks for the responses. Buying a gun sight unseen is a little difficult for more, but I am glad to hear that no one has had a bad experience yet. I have spoken to a couple of people who have bought from CMP since I put up my first post and they have been very happy with the quality of their garands.

I got my 4 cases of ammo yesterday. Damn those spam cans sucked to open. The tabs were so old they just broke off, had to get creative to pry them open. All the ammo appears to be in great shape though. Funny thing is, I ordered my ammo long after my rifle, but the rifle still has not shipped. I am guessing anytime now, I am getting anxious.[sad2]

Hey Guys!

I'm thinking of getting a Garand from CMP and I've got a couple of questions. I read the CMP site and it didn't answer the simple question regarding which grades can be fired.

I'm thinking of field grade or service grade. Are those conditions generally in firing condition?

Is rack grade in shooting condition?

Thanks!

Navy Moose

Hey Guys!

I'm thinking of getting a Garand from CMP and I've got a couple of questions. I read the CMP site and it didn't answer the simple question regarding which grades can be fired.

I'm thinking of field grade or service grade. Are those conditions generally in firing condition?

Thanks!

Navy Moose

I believe all 3 grades that you mentioned are considered to be in firing condition, with the CYA caveat that CMP recommends that any rifle purchased from them be inspected by a gunsmith prior to firing, regardless of grade.

Hey Guys!

Thanks!

Navy Moose
They all can be safely fired. they are test fired before shipment.

The rack grad barrel and wood will likely be in poor enough condition that you won't have much accuracy. A lot of people who buy those put new wood and barrels on for JC Garand matches.

Field grade is a gamble. You can get some surprisingly nice rifles, or a rifle with a small problem, easily fixed. The muzzle may be knicked or gage over 3 - again not the best for accuracy.

Service grade is going to shoot well. Some of them have new CMP wood and the barrels are generally better. Personally I think that's the one to buy unless you are going to collect a number of them and swap parts around.

They all can be safely fired. they are test fired before shipment.

The rack grad barrel and wood will likely be in poor enough condition that you won't have much accuracy. A lot of people who buy those put new wood and barrels on for JC Garand matches.

Field grade is a gamble. You can get some surprisingly nice rifles, or a rifle with a small problem, easily fixed. The muzzle may be knicked or gage over 3 - again not the best for accuracy.

Service grade is going to shoot well. Some of them have new CMP wood and the barrels are generally better. Personally I think that's the one to buy unless you are going to collect a number of them and swap parts around.

Thank you for the info. The price difference between field grade and service grade is small enough to make it worth my while to get a service grade weapon. Now, to start saving the $$ for it....

Thank you for the info. The price difference between field grade and service grade is small enough to make it worth my while to get a service grade weapon. Now, to start saving the $$ for it....

although in the future it may change they do not charge your credit card right away...i put my order in over a month ago and have not been charged yet...i've heard of them charging people when the rifle gets shipped (100+ days later)...

although in the future it may change they do not charge your credit card right away...i put my order in over a month ago and have not been charged yet...i've heard of them charging people when the rifle gets shipped (100+ days later)...

I submitted my order in August. They charged for the ammo the day before they shipped it. I still haven't been charged for the rifle.

I was at the Camp Perry store in Port Clinton on Wed. They indicated that they were about to run out of ammo any day. More is expected but no ETA.

Lots of rack grade carbines and M1's in the store. I simply did not have enough time to spend there as I was working a trade show on the base. Probably would have made a purchase if I had the time.

I'm a member of GOAL but I live in NH but don't yet belong to a club up here. Will my GOAL membership be good enough to purchase a Garand through CMP? Do you have to belong to a club in the state you live in?

I'm a member of GOAL but I live in NH but don't yet belong to a club up here. Will my GOAL membership be good enough to purchase a Garand through CMP? Do you have to belong to a club in the state you live in?

Join the New Hampshire Rifle & Pistol Association. That'll do.

CMP is on a faster track with orders
Mailed order for 2nd SA SG, cheaper than spare parts. Oct 17th
CMP email confirmation Halloween Trick or TREAT.
Should be a special treat for the new year.

My last order took 45 days to get the Email confirmation. I mailed my last one in jan recieved rifle in july!!

Last edited:
CMP is on a faster track with orders
Mailed order for 2nd SA SG, cheaper than spare parts. Oct 17th
CMP email confirmation Halloween Trick or TREAT.
Should be a special treat for the new year.

My last order took 45 days to get the Email confirmation. I mailed my last one in jan recieved rifle in july!!

I'm not sure how many email confirmations CMP sends out. I got one around 11/4 saying they received my order form and it would be sent to sales for processing. I can't wait to receive the Garand [grin]

CMP charged my credit card today!!!!!!! I've never been so happy to see a charge posted to my account, lol.

holy crap i just checked my online statement and i have a pending charge from CMP!! just checked the cmp e-store and my order has been processed and is currently awaiting shipment! oh man!!

holy crap i just checked my online statement and i have a pending charge from CMP!! just checked the cmp e-store and my order has been processed and is currently awaiting shipment! oh man!!

Yeah, my feelings exactly. I saw that charge on my card and pretty much pulled a
panic.gif
. There will be much rejoicing in the Scott household soon. Is it too soon to say Merry Christmas to me, lol.

Back
Top Bottom