• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

My new CMP Service Grade M1 Garand

Just out of curiosity, how difficult was it to refinish with the tung oil? Did you have to take apart the entire gun? I have a service grade Garand coming and yours looks so nice maybe I should do the same.

Refinishing with tung oil is easy, you just need time and elbow grease. For best results you need to take the rifle apart, but that is not terribly difficult, and a lot of fun.

Just out of curiosity, how difficult was it to refinish with the tung oil? Did you have to take apart the entire gun? I have a service grade Garand coming and yours looks so nice maybe I should do the same.

Here what I did:

1. Field strip the rifle, take the two screws out of the Butt Plate Assembly, loosen the front stock ferrule screw and take it off.
  2. (Warning - For the weak at heart, please close your eyes) I then ran the stock through the dishwasher with one load of dishwasher soap with the dry cycle.
  3. Took medium pot scruber type pads (make for wood) and when over the stock for about 1 ½ hours and then finished with a fine pad for about 1 hour. Then ran it one more time in rinse and dry cycle (not soap), let dry.
  4. Took formby’s tung oil and rubbed into the work using the fine pad for about 1 hour. Let dry for 24 hours.
  5. Used a power buffing wheel (bench type grinder) for about 30 mins.
  6. Done!

Also the (S/N 4,320,000-6,099,905 June 1953-June 1957 Department of Defense Acceptance Stamp (Eagle with 3 stars). And on the pistol grip. circled 'P' proof mark (with serifs)) Were all preserved just fine!

Last edited:
Real sharp looking rifle.

What company does the delivery and do you have to sign for it or can someone in the house sign for you if your not there? Thanks.

My CMP Garand was shipped FedEx second day air with adult signature required. As soon as I received the tracking number I called FedEx and arranged a local pickup so I did not have to wait/miss the delivery person.

Is that an original USGI stock or a CMP repro?
Mine came with a repro in November.

It looks real nice whichever it is.

Steve

The stock is the original with the Department of Defense Acceptance Stamp (Eagle with 3 stars). And on the pistol grip. circled 'P' proof mark (with serifs). (S/N 4,320,000-6,099,905 June 1953-June 1957)

Absolutely beautiful.[smile]

You simply cant beat CMP. If you tried to buy that rifle in the classified or at a gun show you would have paid $700-$1000.

CMP replaces the stocks with new ones on the rifles that have stocks in need of repair. Its such a great deal.

Just beware. I ordered one, a Springfield, then I had to have a H+R, then a International Harvester....so be careful, they are addicting[wink]. But then again so isn't any milsurp rifle.

Hey ya only go around once. Why not enjoy. [wink]

Yes CMP has pretty much gotten back on track and full speed on orders, When I ordered my last order it was posted as 120-180 day wait recieved just shy of 90days.

Doesn't sound like 60 days is going to happen. I talked to a woman at the CMP and she said the Garands are on back order and not to expect it for another 3 months. Order placed 9/17.

Hmm. Is the CMP special or a service grade springfield.
well the wait is worth it.

I guess there all back ordered expecting more in. I asked if I upgraded to a special if I would get it sooner and she said no. The good news is I'm definitely getting my ammo.

Has anyone had any problems with any of the Garands from CMP? I am interested in getting one, but I am worried that it would not be safe to shoot, need a lot of gunsmithing, etc. Any problems?

I had the same worries. After going to several CMP shoots and talking with those with experience with CMP. I got a common answer. Try to find a garand local equal to a service grade CMP in grading for 600.00. For what I did find locally and seen while waiting my CMP service grade could be spruced up even more and I would still be under $$$ what I came across locally. more or less what was available around me where rack grade for 600+ anything remotely service grade was 900+. Have no fear go to a CMP shoot that has their own rifles. Then order up. CMP does state all guns should be checked out by a competent gun smith

Thanks for the info. I agree, CMP prices are incredible. I am thinking about getting a service grade garand. For $600, it can't be beat. By the way, what was your experience in filling out all of the stuff for the order? It seems like all they really need is a copy of your LTC and proof that you are in a member organization. Did you need to do anything beyond that for the "firearms related" activity?

Noob Question about CMP Grading

What does it mean in the CMP grading for Service Grade when it says "the muzzle will gauge less than 3 and the throat erosion will gauge less than 5"?

Red, the cmp has a disclaimer that all there fire arms should be checked by a qualified gunsmith. I cleaned the begeezis out of mine and looked it over for any cracks heavy wear ect ect. Then I had the guys at the CMP shoot at my club check the headspace.

You will find many of the guys/girls that are into the garands at these shoots have all sorts of tools for the garands. Most are willing to check your gun out.

Has anyone had any problems with any of the Garands from CMP? I am interested in getting one, but I am worried that it would not be safe to shoot, need a lot of gunsmithing, etc. Any problems?
I have ordered 8-10 and still have four. They all shot fine. In most instances their description of condition was very conservative. Now that they are putting new wood on them they'll shoot better.

They are test fired by CMP.

I am also interested in the carbines. Is there a thread for CMP carbines? Have you heard of anyone getting a carbine from CMP?

Have one, haven't fired it yet.

Back
Top Bottom