My new baby!

I bought a World War II era Winchester 94 carbine in .30 .30 today at Four Seasons.

I've not shot it yet, but it SOOOOO beautiful. I'm just sitting here looking at it. The wood, steel, the fit...OMG!

I expect most of you think I'm easily amused.

You're right! [lol] [lol] [lol] [lol] [lol]

News Shooter said:
I bought a World War II era Winchester 94 carbine in .30 .30 today at Four Seasons.

I've not shot it yet, but it SOOOOO beautiful. I'm just sitting here looking at it. The wood, steel, the fit...OMG!

I expect most of you think I'm easily amused.

You're right! [lol] [lol] [lol] [lol] [lol]

That, is a nice piece! Drool, fondle, stroke, caress, clean and then take it to the range. That piece has killed more dear than any other rifle. Congrats!

What's the controversy? The only "problem" was top eject which messed up people who couldn't shoot with iron sights and wanted to put a scope on it. It's a fine piece of iron!

Well, for some reason....

some people seem to think the 94 .30-.30 is sub-par in terms of stopping power, accuracy,etc. and the ejector system as you mentioned.

I couldn't care less.

The .30 .30 is a classic american firearm and since I can't hit anything anyway, the rest of those issues are moot. I'm a plinker.

I just wanted one and I got it. FYI. Mine has a scope mounted on the left- hand side of on the receiver to allow for the vertical shell ejection.

Again, I haven't shot it yet, but I'll figure it out if there are any issues.

I'm glad you appreciate it as I do.

There are a lot of snobs in the shooting sports who look down their noses at anything they don't own.

I pay no attention to them.

[lol] [lol]

Just to start things off right, I agree. The Winchester 94 is a bit of Americana every bit as mush as apple pie. I've got a couple of them, one a regular rifle and the other a trapper carbine (with the sadle ring). Wouldn't part with either one for any amount of money. Now on to nit picking. It's .30-30, not .30-.30 or .30 .30. The second "30" designates the original black power equivalent load (30 grains), the same as .45-70 or .30-40. As to deer, it depends where you're from. East of the Mississippi the .30-30 (with the Winchester 94 being the archetypal example) is far and away responsible for the most deer taken. West of the Mississippi, there's much more open land, resuting in longer ranges for deer (with much heavier mule deer being more commin than eastern white tail deer). As a result, the cartridge credited with the most deer there in that part of the country is the .30-06, usuall in an 03 or Mauser bolt action rifle.

Ken (who spent his first 30-odd years out west.)

Back
Top Bottom