• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

My "missed deer"

On Opening day of archery season I had a nice deer walk into my stand. I drew back as he was approaching a spot when the trail turned and he would give me a nice quartering shot. He was only about 20 yards and I must made a noise or too much motion because he made me. He stopped dead in his tracks upwind from me and started doing the snorting and ground pawing. I couldnt hold back any longer and letting down would of spooked him for sure. He was so close I convinced myself that I could sneak a shot into him straight on, A shot you should never take during archery. I let it fly and he ducked the string and I saw it hit his head. There was no blood and no indication that the deer was anything but scared shitless.

Fast forward to the end of last week and I bumped into one of my buddies who hunts the same area and he said he shot a nice one about a week and a half ago. He showed me pictures of the same deer with my broadheads thread still sticking out of the middle of its forehead.

Shame on me for taking a straight on shot, there really isnt an excuse for that, but I really wanted a drop tined buck.

-Hunter

misseddeer.jpg

Funny Story, Very Nice Buck. I obviously Do not have to tell you stupid shot[thinking]. Good thing the deer was not hurt and was still able to be harvested naturally and not become coyote food. Woulda been a shame if that was the case.

Not one to criticize...
Aim a foot lower next time. LOL !!!

I know about ethical shots, and am new to hunting, but sometimes lady luck favors the bold.

Just shot a 70 lb. doe Saturday with my muzzleloader, my first of the year. Critics are welcome to join me for lunch. I'm having deer!

Glad you got one Sav the deer kill has been way down this year and not alot of deer are being taken. I got a 78 pound doe last day of shotgun, not exactly huge but i got some meat for the freezer and i hope to get one more to fill the freezer up .

Back
Top Bottom