• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

My meager Bullseye Target Gun Collection

Over the last 11 years I have been buying guns on a fairly regular basis; 165 handguns alone, including 54 1911 style pistols. Two days ago I went to my local gun shop and picked up my latest - the Jim Clark Sr. Shreveport, LA marked long-slide .38 Special Wad Cutter Bulls-eye gun that began life as a 1968 built .38 Super Colt. The gun was built in August, 1968 so without proof I suspect that the gun was bought new to be converted by Jim Clark.
A note about the Clark, Dinan, and Harpe guns: Greg Derr explained why the barrel bushings are so tightly fit and hard to remove, even with a wrench. Greg said the bushings were normally not intended to be removed; that the barrel was meant to be cleaned from the muzzle end!
I gathered all the other bulls-eye guns that I have and took some photos this evening; please have a look see:
targetclark_right.jpg

targetclark_left.jpg

Jim Clark Sr. long slide .38 Special midrange wad cutter gun with short Bo-Mar rear sight rib/sight
dinan_two.jpg

dinan_38special.jpg

Possibly an Alton Dinan built .38 Special wad cutter gun; barrel bushing marked Dinan, front and rear grip stippled; full length BoMar rail and rear sight. Many of the guns that Dinan built had two holes in the front sight - according to Greg Derr all Al Dinan had to do to see who was shooting his guns in competition was look down along the firing line and see those front sights! Mine doesn't have the holes in the sight.
harpe_targetleft.jpg

harpe_target_right.jpg

Probably a Jesse Harpe .45 acp hardball gun; both the barrel bushing and main spring housing are marked with Harpe's logo; notice how thick the barrel bushing is; you need a wrench to remove it.
target_super_left.jpg

target_super_right.jpg

Unknown gun smith Colt .38 Super from 1952; re-nickelled; rear sight is marked U.S. and Triangle; originally a .45 acp pistol the gun also came with the complete .45 acp upper including the correct ejector. It shoots a lot better in .38 Super then in .45 acp
target52_left.jpg

target52_right.jpg

Smith and Wesson Model 52-1 "Master"; .38 Special wad cutter gun; complete with box, manual, 5 magazines; very nice shooting pistol.
targetrear.jpg

Rear sights of all 5 guns.
Thanks for looking!

165?!? I like your term "meager"...now I have to figure out what to call my less-than-your-volume collection! [wink]

165 guns in 11 years, that's 1 gun every 3 and 1/2 weeks. I don't think I have that much room for that many guns, never mind the cash to buy them.

165 guns in 11 years, that's 1 gun every 3 and 1/2 weeks. I don't think I have that much room for that many guns, never mind the cash to buy them.

tpm - um that's not counting the long guns or shotguns...probably another 100 or so...

I'm retired now but for the last 10-1/2 years I was a GS-12 Federal LEO, retired CWO4, and draw VA Disability. What one of my work friends used to say: "If I had your disposable income..."[smile]

Just to show that I've got other interests here is a knife that I bought when I was set up at a Knife Show in Easton, PA back in the end of September:

siska_1.jpg

siska_info.jpg

Jim Siska, Custom Knifemaker from Mass.
As you see the blade is 11" long made from CPM-154; handle of desert ironwood. Jim is a master of the recurve and sub hilt knife style.

My other "addiction" is custom knife collecting, buying, selling, and trading them...

For what it may be worth, I have found with Gold Cups (and other Gov't Models with tight bushings) that if I push the slide back 1/2" or so, they are much easier to turn. Also easier on the bushing.

Back
Top Bottom