• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

My Luck? AK Came Unglued!

I was sighting in my new to me WASR-10. Until it came unglued.

Three shot group at 70 yards was impressive at 2", but it was high and left. I adjusted for lower impact and placed three more with good results. Then I adjusted for right impact.

Leveled the sights, squeezed the trigger..... SPROING! No fire.

ak_trigger_001.jpg

ak_trigger_002.jpg

ak_trigger_004.jpg

ak_trigger_005.jpg

I can see what happened, the hammer pin slid to the left through the receiver. My learning curve is now going over the top. After being referred to this site, I discovered that this gun was missing a very important part - the shepherd hook.

http://guns.wolfcrews.com/ak47/pdf_f...gger_Group.pdf

In its place, there is a small spring held on by the safety pin. I popped it back into place and tapped the shafts with a punch. They stayed put, but I really don't trust this flimsy set-up.

ak_trigger_2.jpg

The real rush was getting the live round out of the chamber. I took a block of wood and secured it in front of the firing pin with needle nose vice grips. When I got the hammer shaft back into place, I could move the bolt again and eject the round. PHEW!

After some research, I was led to a better set-up for retaining the hammer and trigger shafts. It's a plate that drops in and is secured by the safety again, but it looks a lot more stable. I'm surely going to get one.

http://www.redstararms.com/

The latch you mention, just a bit of a warning. Mine when installed would hit the rivet holding the side rail on. Nothing a dremel could not handle im sure. I just reinstalled the shepards hook. I have little intrest in more than drop in items with my norinco. Shoot&Clean........well I only clean if I use corrosive ammo[smile]

PS; buy your photo it does not seem like your spring is in the pin grove correctly. also make sure both pins are in all the way and the wire spring is catching both.

Last edited:
I can see what you mean in the photo, Mac. But it's just the lighting. The pin is in the groove well. A good rap with a punch hasn't budged either shaft.

I just don't trust that the impact from firing (rotational movement as well) will allow this set-up to work faithfully. Hence, a plate will be on order.

Any thoughts on calling Century and having them....oh wait, never mind....If this is a new gun, I'd take it back to the FFL and see if they can make this nightmare right before I'd spend another nickel making a gun right that should have been in the first place...[thinking]

Any thoughts on calling Century and having them....oh wait, never mind....If this is a new gun, I'd take it back to the FFL and see if they can make this nightmare right before I'd spend another nickel making a gun right that should have been in the first place...[thinking]

I bought it used on a low-ball Gunbroker bid ($260). I seriously doubt that is was used very much. It didn't have a mark on it except the safety scratch. So if I have to invest in $15 for the plate, I'm still ahead of the game. [wink]

Does anyone know it the new Century WASR's come with a plate, old style shepherd hook, or the foolish little 'L' shaped wire that's in mine?

Im guessing Shepard hook or wire. I doubt they would spend the extra money to ad the plate

Back
Top Bottom