• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

My local high school walkout story

basscatfrank

NES Member
I just read an interesting story on the walkout at my town's high school. First, a little background. This is the school that back in '04 refused to publish a student's yearbook picture because he was dressed in his trap shooting outfit and holding a broken open shotgun. The student ended up taking the school to court where he lost. The school claimed that it wasn't the administration that turned down the pic but it was the student yearbook editors who did. Having a child in the school at the time, I learned that that was not the case.

Fast forward to this week. The current administration allowed the walkout and released a statement that said all the right PC things . "There is a balance that must be struck between the Constitutional rights of our students and the need to maintain safety and order during the school day," said the principal and school superintendent in a joint statement. They also said it was a student led movement and they were not endorsing it. I call bull on that one. Can you imagine another protest that goes against the beliefs of the school system being given that same tacit approval?

Here comes the surprising part. The very first line of the story is, "Nearly 300 students...walked out of class on March 14th." Buried at the end of the story was, "Overall there were about 1,000 students who chose to stay in class."

I say that the story here is that 77% of the student body declined to participate.

A group of students really needs to organize a walkout on, say, April 19, as a counterprotest. If they are treated ANY differently than those three hundred, a federal case (literally) must be made.

Back when I was in high school any excuse to get out of class would have been something I would have been all over. Just saying - I am willing to wager there is a fair number of participants who did so not because they wanted to protest - but just because they wanted out of school.

Back
Top Bottom