• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

My local gun club; this is why we can't have nice things...

Don't be sorry. That is OK, more room for me.

See now would be the time to be sorry.

The colors are especially bright because the photo was taken on the day they were repainted.

We allow the public in on Sundays from 9 till Noon and these clearly defined areas leave nothing to chance.
It is simple no handling of firearms (period) and stay out of the red when the range is cold and people are down range.

:emoji_tiger:

So.....it was your idea?

[smile]

So.....it was your idea?

Nope, I am not part of the decision making process, cannot be trusted with a paint brush, and as always I remain a squirrel in someone else’s world.

P.S.> Service to the club by the committee maintaining that range is strictly voluntary, as work parties are not a requirement of membership. So folks that give their time, equipment, and often money to that cause feel the painted areas are a tool for safety — cool it is a none issue to me.

... these clearly defined areas leave nothing to chance.
It is simple no handling of firearms (period) and stay out of the red when the range is cold ...

We have a transverse yellow stripe under the short ("pistol") range roof. But there's not nearly enough room behind the forward tables to use the space forward of the line as a literal 100% "no-go" zone - if people couldn't step over that line on a cold range, then they'd be tripping over each other trying to stay behind it. So you can sidle around someone, but no camping forward of the yellow line.

And no handling of any forward table contents, on a cold range - not guns, not mags, not ammo, nothing nada zilch. (You'd have to lean over the yellow line like Jake signing for his pocket contents when he was released from Joliet, anyhow). You have to bring your mags and ammo back with you to a rear table to reload them.

... and people are down range. :emoji_tiger:

Actually, no handling of uncased guns on a cold range, whether or not anyone's downrange screwing around with targets. And no uncased guns on the rear tables at any time.

Nope, I am not part of the decision making process, cannot be trusted with a paint brush, and as always I remain a squirrel in someone else’s world.

P.S.> Service to the club by the committee maintaining that range is strictly voluntary, as work parties are not a requirement of membership. So folks that give their time, equipment, and often money to that cause feel the painted areas are a tool for safety — cool it is a none issue to me.
Just screwing around.

Most clubs have a yellow line painted on the floor that you need to stand behind and all guns are racked when the range is cold and folks are downrange. Just my thought.....the yellow green red is a bit over the top.

Just screwing around.

Most clubs have a yellow line painted on the floor that you need to stand behind and all guns are racked when the range is cold and folks are downrange. Just my thought.....the yellow green red is a bit over the top.

No worries. Either myself or @Arto will tell the chairman of that committee about this thread and how folks feel about the color scheme.

Once he gets done alternately laughing and cussing he will most likely begin painting something else just out of spite.

Perhaps the parking lot in case anyone from @allen-1 's club comes up from CT for a visit?

No worries. Either myself or @Arto will tell the chairman of that committee about this thread and how folks feel about the color scheme.

Once he gets done alternately laughing and cussing he will most likely begin painting something else just out of spite.

Perhaps the parking lot in case anyone from @allen-1 's club comes up from CT for a visit?

[rofl]

We have a transverse yellow stripe under the short ("pistol") range roof. But there's not nearly enough room behind the forward tables to use the space forward of the line as a literal 100% "no-go" zone - if people couldn't step over that line on a cold range, then they'd be tripping over each other trying to stay behind it. So you can sidle around someone, but no camping forward of the yellow line.

And no handling of any forward table contents, on a cold range - not guns, not mags, not ammo, nothing nada zilch. (You'd have to lean over the yellow line like Jake signing for his pocket contents when he was released from Joliet, anyhow). You have to bring your mags and ammo back with you to a rear table to reload them.

Actually, no handling of uncased guns on a cold range, whether or not anyone's downrange screwing around with targets. And no uncased guns on the rear tables at any time.
Some clubs I've belonged to require all guns to be racked to go downrange some require only that they be on the bench action open.......either way works for me as long as nobody is touching any fire arms while the range is cold.

Had a guy last year shown up while I was there with my son. I stopped shooting and racked my rifles and called cold range so he could go down to set targets (he had not walked in yet....I saw him pull into the parking lot so figured I'd stop shooting so he didn't have to wait). He walked in with a 22 rifle in his hands (uncased.....but Imo as long as you are paying attention to muzzle discipline ok).......he set it on the bench pointed downrange and headed out to set up a metal spinner......and his daughter immediately sat down to the bench and picked the rifle and shouldered it.......while he was walking out.

I had to step in. I calmly but loudly said "all rifles need to be racked when the range is cold". The dad turned around, looked at her (still shouldering the rifle), then looked at me and said.....you guessed it......"it's not loaded". At that point I told him to come back to the line, clear the rifle, and rack it or I'm shutting the range down and calling the club president. I don't yell.....I don't lose my composure.....but I don't mess around with range safety rules and have no problem "shutting it down".

He gave me the hairy eye ball but came back and cleared and racked the gun. I said thank you and we went about our business.

But....some shooters.....are just straight up dumb as f***.

I remember a friend inviting me to shoot his dinan .45 acp at an indoor range. I would have, after the fact, appreciated a heads up that it had a light trigger to say the least. loaded a 7 round mag of ball and fired the first shot into the x. I guess I wasn't holding the pistol firm enough cause the gun keep rebounding into the web of my hand and fired the next round, and the next, etc., like a bump stock. 2nd round shattered the target frame, the next took out a light fixture and the last 4 went into the ceiling of the range. the gun kept rising with each shot like full autos tend to do if you don't have control. the last shot was pretty much above my head. that was 35 years ago, something you don't forget. thankfully my pride was the only thing hurt. I had a few years of shooting under my belt and considered myself a savy and safe shooter. I was wrong. I just mention it now cause sometimes stuff happens and i've used the experience as a life lesson.

I remember a friend inviting me to shoot his dinan .45 acp at an indoor range. I would have, after the fact, appreciated a heads up that it had a light trigger to say the least. loaded a 7 round mag of ball and fired the first shot into the x. I guess I wasn't holding the pistol firm enough cause the gun keep rebounding into the web of my hand and fired the next round, and the next, etc., like a bump stock. 2nd round shattered the target frame, the next took out a light fixture and the last 4 went into the ceiling of the range. the gun kept rising with each shot like full autos tend to do if you don't have control. the last shot was pretty much above my head. that was 35 years ago, something you don't forget. thankfully my pride was the only thing hurt. I had a few years of shooting under my belt and considered myself a savy and safe shooter. I was wrong. I just mention it now cause sometimes stuff happens and i've used the experience as a life lesson.
I would have shit myself.

I had a Walther PP/K do something similar to me on an indoor range - the firing pin 'jammed' in the fixed-position, and the gun went full-auto on me without warning. Full-mag-dump in a small pistol I couldn't keep downrange. Rounds went into the ceiling. That range had a shop and onsite gunsmith, so I took the gun to him and explained the situation....he took my pistol to the range and tried another couple of mags, then came back with a big grin. "You sure you want me to fix this?"

I didn't tell him the half-dozen rounds in his ceiling. Figured he'd find them when it rains.

I miss "Sand Pit Rules" apply... [sad]

SAND PIT RULES:

1) Do not shoot anyone in the Sand Pit.

END OF RULES.

won't lie...a little skid mark. [laugh]
I also remember the club house was above the range. there was a safety meeting of new members that morning so maybe a dozen people upstairs. after my gun emptied it got really quiet fast on the range. then we hear a bunch of chairs scraping on the floor up above. I thought a round went through and hit someone. a knee buckling thought. just turned out the meeting was breaking up and they were getting up to leave. they had no clue, but they had steel plate in the ceiling above the tiles, sooo…. I did go to the next board meeting to fess up, let 'em know I was the one who destroyed the frame and ceiling fixture. better they hear it from me instead of someone else.

As an officer of the corporation of a small indoor range I note that the largest problem we have is people breaking the rules. There appears to be no common sense at all. One of our most serious problems is people using large caliber rifles and shooting right through the backstop. This is happening even though the membership application has in bold red notation that we are a .22 rf range only. And at the top half of the very backstop it has a large red signage that says .22 rf only.
Those who blatantly ignore the rules should be made to pay for the damages and that is why clubs have sort to I. D. same via cameras. If it were up to me those who piss and moan about security cameras and rules ought to be immediately removed from the membership! It seems that those who do all the bitching are the ones who do little else. Darned few are appreciative of the time money and effort put into such organizations by the officers and RO's.

Same. I think I will start carrying a change of shorts in my range bag now.

Here you go:
(Just don't use them on a range that's ".22LR-only").
441152.jpg

Is that the reason the indoor range is closed during all meetings now. Lol

1) OK, i see that happening. Some people get excited and start a little early and some push was dusk really means.
2) OK, all depends on the backstop / berm, but usually posted in a way that reminders are not needed.
3), You got me. WTF! Really? I think i need to stay far away from that club.
They could install a sunset sunrise clock then place bets on how long before it gets shot out

One club I go to has the same mentality as the dems. Ban it. Tired of people leaving their random targets on the range , ban it. Shooters can’t put steel at the proper location , ban it. Shooters can’t hit the paper between the 30” tall wide ya get backer , no more club supplied target frames. Only logical thing they did in recent years is place large timber target stands at the 25 , 50 and 100 yard line.
They completely banned pistols from the rifle range but failed to provide 25-50 yard distance on pistol range for anyone wanting to practice NRA service pistol. Plenty of other issues also. Fun stuff

Back
Top Bottom