• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

My Life as a Tyrant

I think the most chilling part of the whole thing was how he explains that the guy was "otherwise a good guy" but had been brainwashed into believing that "because the lawr allows it it is good". That's the disgusting part. How many others are there like that guy?

-Mike

I think the most chilling part of the whole thing was how he explains that the guy was "otherwise a good guy" but had been brainwashed into believing that "because the lawr allows it it is good". That's the disgusting part. How many others are there like that guy?

-Mike

Too many, and it's not just cops- it's within our human nature. Thankfully in this case we're only talking about goods and not lives (although ultimately these goods were their livelihood). Just look at the Stanford Prison Experiment or Stanley Milgram's Obedience experiment. Far too many people are overly naive in believing that 'most' people would all of the sudden have a pang of conscience about carrying out such arbitrary and ridiculous orders. One man did, most would not, and this has been proven time and time again.

There is very little difference in the authoritarian personality Adorno studied in Germany post -WWII and the people we are surrounded by today, even within our own country. Unfortunately, I believe we haven't learned enough from recent history, and the symptoms of mass-mindedness represent an ever-present danger. Critical thinking is clearly absent, and people are all too eager to enforce anything they are empowered to enforce, because we all know governments and legislators would only pass legislation that is beneficial to it's people [hmmm]

I liked it until the update at the end.

Because I love this country, the last thing I’ll ever advocate is warfare between citizens and any arm of the government. The vast majority of police officers, members of the military and American citizens are fantastic people. We as a nation are strong enough to correct problems, even those we’re facing today, with discussion instead of violence.

That above contradicts statements he made in the column about the founding fathers and the second amendment. The bold words are the same words used by the gun banners.

We need more cops like the author, in this country. The occasional cop will refuse to enforce confiscations (or worse), but the majority will implrment whatever is required, to keep their paychecks and their pensions. If you think otherwise, you're a fool. Period.

The whole story is really sad... The part of the them taking the old person's bananas was horrific.

Remember those experiments where they would hire a person and every time they flipped a switch they heard someone scream and how many people just kept pushing the button because it was their job and they were told to do it.

All of them if you just apply enough pressure.

Nazi1-754065.jpg

Good read. This reminds me of feinstein's personal, thuggish, vendetta-mission - to disarm the entire US population.

I actualy have 1st hand experiance with the KPS, Pristina, the UN police and NATO in that country. I can't believe NATO went along with that bullshit, although i can see the UN going with it.

I can remember 2 times I was around a UN Police officer. One was a Bulgarian guy, in his 50's. Nice guy, barely spoke English but wanted to come by and hang out and say hi to a few GI's scouting out an area for an upcoming operation. Guy seemed like a good person. Another UN Police officer I remember was an American one who was out for dinner at a table next to ours. He looked like the cliche clean cut American cop. Didnt seem like a douche or anything like that either.

We never, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever under any circumstances ****ed with street vendors. If anything we used to buy shit off of them, and that was that. We didnt care who had what for permits or where it came from as long as it didnt slip by the boarder when we were watching it.

We did (I didnt, but my company did) catch smugglers sneaking shit in on mule from Macedonia to Kosovo, and the troops were told to break that shit up if it was caught since its bypassing the import tariff. I believe there was a killer shoot out before I got there involving the KPS, a cart full of welding gas and a bunch of Albanians which resulted in an explosion, but by the time I got there it was stuff like socks and coffee that was being taken across.

the UN was seemingly universally hated in Kosovo, where as NATO was liked. When I got there one of the 1st briefings I had was "All UN trucks have a blast radius of 100m." The locals would mess with them often. The UN also shot and killed a protester in Pristina while I was there and that didnt go over to well for them.

This guy must of been there sometime in between 00-01'. I was there 06-07', and it was way better when I was there compared to early 00's with the exception of a few insane roits in 04'.

our ob1kanobi was there in 00-01ish, I think, maybe he knows about the troops and police F'ing with locals. It wasnt going on when I was there, though.

Those people went through some ****ed up times in the 90's. The last thing I was going to do was be a punk ass and bitch them around. I use the Kosovo and Balkan genocides very often as examples of why the 2A is critical for survival. I give those people a lot of credit. I don't think I would of fared 1/10th as good as most of them did.

Last edited:

Lots.

My favorite lines...

We don’t bend them to our will, we don’t strip their rights “for their own good”. We don’t repeal the Bill of Rights in order to protect them from the sometimes horrible consequences of freedom.

Yes, sometimes there are consequences of freedom. It's not the government's job to stop you from enjoying a glass of scotch (not anymore, at least) because you might get a hangover the next day. That hangover is the sting of freedom; enjoy it.

Remember those experiments where they would hire a person and every time they flipped a switch they heard someone scream and how many people just kept pushing the button because it was their job and they were told to do it.

It made for one hell of a Peter Gabriel song. Look up We Do What We're Told (Milgram's 37)

-Mike

Most of the ones I meet are a**h***s. I go to Community College, and my CC mostly turns out two things; wanna-be cops and nurses.

One of my professors is a retired police captain. He's a good guy, I have a feeling that he wouldn't want to be involved with taking bananas from old men. But most of the wanna-be-cop-students are pricks that get off on power and kissing ass. None of them have a clue about guns. The ex-military ones have A clue, but arn't on our side. I had to explain to an ex-military classmate why we should have the right to own full-auto guns. Mostly because its fun, but because its a right and we should not let it get taken away.

One kid from my high school wound up going to my CC, but before that I asked him what he wanted to do. He wanted to join Border Patrol because he "hates immigrants". So I stopped and asked him what his family is. Irish and Italian. Didn't he ever stop and think that his family were a bunch of immigrants off the boat in Boston or New York that could only speak Gaelic or Italian?

Back
Top Bottom