• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

My letter to 5th Congressional District Rep - Suppressor Legislation

Ms. Clark,

I am writing to you, as a constituent in your district, regarding the proposed legislation to remove the prohibition on the private ownership of firearms suppressors, commonly known as "silencers" (SD.66, SD.1133). I would like you to support this legislation.

I am a life-long Massachusetts resident, save for my time in the U.S. Army; I am a nationally-certified firearms safety instructor, an avid sport shooter, and a responsible citizen. The common ownership of suppressors in private hands has long been lauded by gun control activists as an exigent threat to public safety, however, most of those people have had their opinions surrounding the efficacy of suppressors informed by Hollywood movies. In reality, suppressors reduce the average sound from a discharging firearm from ~160 db range (jet engine) to the ~120 db range (a rock concert) (source: http://www.todayifoundout.com/index.php/2010/11/gun-silencers-dont-make-them-anywhere-near-silent/). The reduction in sound would not only help to make the experience of target shooting and sport shooting more enjoyable, but it would dramatically reduce the risk of hearing damage. Having spent much time at shooting ranges, even with two layers of ear protection (foam ear plugs and ear muffs), the discharge is still quite loud. From a public health perspective, allowing citizens access to a tool which will help them protect a vital sensory organ seems like a no-brainer.

I am, however, quite troubled by the response a friend of mine received from a colleague of yours, state senator Will Brownsberger. Mr. Brownsberger indicated he would NOT support the legislation because:
“Urban law enforcement personnel are firmly opposed -- making gunshots quieter makes them harder to detect. We heard testimony that shot detectors can detect suppressed shots, but I did not find that testimony credible. The suppressors have to reduce the range and sensitivity of detectors, even if they do not prevent detection of nearby shots.”
This is troubling to me because, according the Federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms, in the past decade only 44 crimes committed with suppressed firearms were recommended for prosecution. 44 out of 1,300,000 suppressors is a ~0.003% crime utilization rate (source: http://freebeacon.com/issues/atf-de...n-silencers-united-states-rarely-used-crimes/). Add to that the fact that suppressors are expensive, long, heavy, and hard to conceal, and the reason for the non-use in crime becomes apparent: they are not functionally utilitarian enough for inner-city gang members to acquire and employ.

I recognize that the city of Boston is facing escalating levels of gang violence, and that city and state leadership are working diligently to help ameliorate the situation. However, claiming that suppressors should not be available to citizens in Massachusetts because of the possibility that they may be used by a criminal element is a red herring, especially given that suppressors are already readily available and owned by private citizens in 39 out of 50 states.

In closing, as your constituent, I urge you to support the repeal of the prohibition on privately owned firearms suppressors. Thank you for your time, and I look forward to your response.

Regards,
[NAME]

Nicely written. Is it only 39 states? I thought I saw a GOAL post saying it was 42 states.

Of course who ever reads it is probably thinking

507212aadb28b0d47d87121ae63dd19c8e3cba5ce43010c038c5182f831190a5.jpg

I was emailing him about the shot spotter and told him they can read it fine because they pickup the shockwave and
we addressed this years ago and any effort to sell you on more sensors is simply a sales ploy at the expense of the tax payers.

Her response:

[FONT=&quot]
KCLARK_Revised_Letterhead2017.png
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
Dear Mr. Bates,
Thank you for contacting me to express your concerns regarding gun safety. I appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts on this issue.
Since the day I began serving in Congress, not a week has gone by without a mass shooting. Yet, despite all the lives that have been lost in tragedies like Sandy Hook, San Bernardino, and Orlando, Congress has done nothing to curb gun violence. Every shooting in the United States serves as a reminder of our responsibility to stop gun violence in America and of Congress’ failure to live up to that responsibility.
An essential part of the solution to the problem of gun violence is local engagement and advocacy. In the wake of the shooting at Sandy Hook, gun violence prevention advocates began to band together to support measures to keep guns out of the hands of dangerous people, and these organizations are essential to change the national conversation surrounding gun violence. Organizations opposed to reform are highly motivated and coordinated, and proponents of reform must meet that commitment with their own in order for common sense protections to become law.
Since becoming a member of Congress, I have supported over a dozen pieces of legislation designed to improve our nation’s gun laws and better protect our communities. These bills offer a number of common sense solutions, from requiring universal background checks, to requiring personalized handguns that can only be fired by the gun’s owner, to keeping guns out of the hands of domestic abusers. These changes are essential to responsibly addressing gun violence, but regrettably Speaker Ryan has been unwilling to bring even one of these bills to the floor for a vote.
Without changing the conversation surrounding firearms, it will be impossible to make progress. We’ve had too many moments of silence, and not enough action. That’s why I helped organize the historic sit-in on the house floor. We wanted to show the country that we hear their cries, and we are trying to enact legislation to decrease gun violence. Unfortunately, Speaker Ryan has yet to bring forward a single bill to address gun violence, despite promising to do so. While this is disappointing, I promise that as long as I am your representative, I will continue to fight to reduce gun violence, and support bills that will help our families and communities stay safe.
Please know that I will continue to champion common sense gun safety legislation, and I will keep your thoughts in mind should legislation regarding this issue be brought to the House floor for a vote.

[FONT=&quot]Again, thank you for voicing your concerns, and please do not hesitate to contact me in the future if I may be of assistance. Also, you can stay up to date on my work for the 5th District by following me on Facebook , Twitter , and my official website .[/FONT]
Sincerely,
clark_sig.png

Katherine M. Clark
Member of Congress

[/FONT]

- - - Updated - - -

My reply to her reply:

[FONT=&quot]Ms. Clark,[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]I am disappointed to have received a cookie-cutter response from you regarding your stance on "gun violence". Not only did you fail to address the issue being discussed in the legislature and which I reached out to you about, you instead offered a communique which panders to the segment of society who seek to deny citizens such as myself the ability to exercise my civil, natural, and Constitutional right to bear arms. The United States is a constitutional republic, not a democracy, and as such is a nation of laws not subject to popular whim. If you wish to garner the support of myself and other like-minded citizens, I encourage you to revisit your oath of office, the one in which you swore to defend and uphold the Constitution of the United States of America. Uphold your oath.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot] - Phillip W. Bates -[/FONT]

Back
Top Bottom