• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

My last week or so

I learned about a book called the Talent Code. It was written by a guy who went and tracked down elite athletes, musicians, whatever and watched how they train. He found some common denominators and put it to paper. There is a spin off book, The Little Book of Talent, that goes a little deeper into what's in the first book. My entire academy has reformatted based on the principles put forth in the book. I have it on order, if interest is there I'll give my thoughts after I read it myself.

Other stuff:
Realized sight alignment isn't nearly as important as you think unless you are shooting precision.
Shooting fast and accurate starts with your feet.
I'm not nearly as good as I thought I was with a pistol.
A good grip is WAY, WAY more important than trigger control for fast accurate shooting.
Glocks are stupid easy to shoot fast and harder to f'up than the HnK. (Our Glocks are a little tricked out, but not significantly different than my G23)

Source:
I've been shooting with other instructors full time for a week. 16 of us shot 6k rounds on the first day alone. I've got blisters in places I wouldn't expect. I'm learning keeping fingernails well trimmed is a good idea going forward. A whole LOT of information overload on what was actually going on while shooting. Looking at the science of it, breaking it down into something you can explain to a new shooter. There's at least one pistol team member with me. It's crazy being around these guys.

I did win the quick draw competition. So far that's the only competition I've won. :( I'm no slouch with a pistol, but this is nuts.

Quick draw McGraw. You're probably to young to remember.
View attachment 464039
iu

I learned about a book called the Talent Code. It was written by a guy who went and tracked down elite athletes, musicians, whatever and watched how they train. He found some common denominators and put it to paper. There is a spin off book, The Little Book of Talent, that goes a little deeper into what's in the first book. My entire academy has reformatted based on the principles put forth in the book. I have it on order, if interest is there I'll give my thoughts after I read it myself.

Other stuff:
Realized sight alignment isn't nearly as important as you think unless you are shooting precision.
A good grip is WAY, WAY more important than trigger control for fast accurate shooting.
Glocks are stupid easy to shoot fast and harder to f'up than the HnK. (Our Glocks are a little tricked out, but not significantly different than my G23)

Source:
I've been shooting with other instructors full time for a week. 16 of us shot 6k rounds on the first day alone. I've got blisters in places I wouldn't expect. I'm learning keeping fingernails well trimmed is a good idea going forward. A whole LOT of information overload on what was actually going on while shooting. Looking at the science of it, breaking it down into something you can explain to a new shooter. There's at least one pistol team member with me. It's crazy being around these guys.

I did win the quick draw competition. So far that's the only competition I've won. :( I'm no slouch with a pistol, but this is nuts.
Shooting at its core is a sport... in all sports everything starts with footwork.

I'm a pretty good shot and solid at action pistol even though I shoot it rarely.

I attribute it all to foot work. Get your feet set and your knees bent and the rest will follow naturally

Other stuff:

Source:

Going to go for the hat trick and getting The Culture Code: The Secrets of Highly Successful Groups?

I've read that 2 or 3 times. Excellent lessons and really a primer on being a lake vs a river.... if that makes sense.

Watch Jiro Dreams of Sushi.... Shokunin is the way.

I've read that 2 or 3 times. Excellent lessons and really a primer on being a lake vs a river.... if that makes sense.

Watch Jiro Dreams of Sushi.... Shokunin is the way.
Fine, you've convinced me and I've ordered the set of three.

Are you satisfied with yourself? [laugh]

Back
Top Bottom