My Last Batch of Deer Jerky

I used a wooden spoon to hold the oven door open. It works great in the oven. On my first batch I wanted a strong pepper flavor so I dried them after the marinade and then coated with more fresh cracked black pepper. This batch I did not do that as most of my close family does not like black pepper. I used mince garlic on the first batch too but I couldn’t stand picking every little bit off so I didn’t use it for this batch. I used a few teaspoons of garlic powder in the marinade instead. I didn’t use curing salts as I knew it wouldn’t last long anyways.

I feel the top round was the best cut for this. I used the 2 bottom rounds from my 2 deer for this final batch which gave more yield. Initial samples were spot on for texture and taste. Slice the strips about a minimum of 1/8” and no more than 1/4” thick. You’ll have some stragglers that will be smaller and a bit drier afterwards but no biggie.

It will soften up a bit while bagged in the fridge so if it feels firm out of the oven don’t worry.

Last edited:
These are my two favorite recipes for jerky. They are from Mary Bell’s Just Jerky recipe book.

I tend to use ground meat and run it through my Jerky Shooter. It is easy and the strips are uniform which is great for consistenc.

Bob

40-EB1303-AD35-4223-859-B-7983-E370-E106.jpg

F420259-C-9804-4-E90-8-D90-3-B7-E255-B3587.jpg

I make a lot of jerky myself as well. Stuff is like potato chips...can't just have one.

Problem is, there is generally a lot of salt in it, as that's part of the process.....and sometimes, when I get to snacking on it with reckless abandon, my blood pressure must skyrocket!

My son, I and the dog will hammer that stuff watching a football game on Sunday.

I send it to his college frat house sometimes, and he says they sit there doing homework, drinking beers and just annihilate a whole batch.

Back
Top Bottom