• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

My KaBoomed AR15, Update May 2nd

TonyD said:
Just for clarification - Was there a squibb load left in the barrel from the previous shot?

The Bushmaster letter states a "squib round" but I dont see how that's possible from checking the barrel. I think by "squib" he refers to the one projectile lodged in the bore - without an additional round going down range. When I measured the length from chamber to stuck projectile and from the muzzle to the projectile - I couldn't see how more then one round could possibly be in there.

Last edited:
That's a little confusing. A squib by nature is under-powered which is why it doesn't leave the barrel. It would not build pressure to destroy the rifle. It's only after you fire another round on top of it. I wonder if one of them exited somehow during the mayhem.

I spoke to Maine Cartridge Company today. The owner is convinced he is not liable and denies any responsibility based on the fact that I do not have the original receipt and or packaging. While his original story was that his "gunsmith" has determined that the rifle had "fired out of battery", this was clearly ruled not to be the case by Bushmaster Firearms's gunsmith, Jim Eden.

When the owner of MCC recieved the letter and findings I mailed him, he called Bushmaster to discuss the isssue. His story is now that he doesn't believe the ammunition was his to start with since I cannot prove a lot #, powder type, or primer type. He stated something about the primer pockets being reamed differently then how he does them - but none of it made much sense. Especially his analysis of the ammunition fired when the cartridge casing is STILL in the gun.

He's convinced his ammunition is not to blame but was leery to blame Bushmaster since Bushmaster clearly is NOT to blame here - nor is any mechanical aspect of the rifle. I know beyond the shadow of a doubt that I was firing Maine Cartridge Company SS109/M855 ammunition when my firearm blew up from a case head failure. MCC prefers to deny any responsibility based on my lack of receipts from 6-7 years ago.

I am consulting with a legal office at this time. I may not win this case - but I have my entire life left to expose a company which has lied to me by blowing smoke in my face.

I am NOT impressed. Looking into small claims but I may be SOL with this unscrupulous ammunition manufacturer. Moral of the story. If your firearm blows up from Maine Cartridge Company ammunition, expect to get screwed. If you currently have their ammunition now, I would NOT fire any of it unless you have ALL receipts, original packaging, and a digital camera nearby.

***Also, while there IS a round in the barrel it is only one round. Not a true squib round as the lack of power was attributed to the head casing failure with pressure blowing out the back of the casing. A squib round would have been simply underpowered - and there is no second projectile in the bore.

I can say that if it was a squib, with another one being fired AFTER, the damage would be in the barrel, where the 2 bullets met.

I truly wish you success with them. Due to the fact that I also am in the Ammo Business, I won't state my opinion of them (MCC) here. It wouldn't be professional.

Nickle said:
I truly wish you success with them. Due to the fact that I also am in the Ammo Business, I won't state my opinion of them (MCC) here. It wouldn't be professional.
That's OK, Nickle... we're all grownups here (yes, you too, Kalahari). We can read between the lines and get the general sense of your opinion of them from what you've written. [smile]

Nickle,

What is up with that AF guy over on the FAL page? I know they don't get out of the office all that much but sheesh! The AR type has been around for 45+ years; it's not exactly a Chauchat. Nice response.

Brian

There's a LOT of a**h***s over there. I finally got sick of some of them and left. They're ignorant, biased, uneducatable and so set in their ways that it's unreal. Some of them make Liberals and Terrorists seem like decent people.

AR's constantly jamming was fixed in the late 60's. I deliberatly left mine dirty to see how long and how many rounds it would take to jam. Seems like over 1000 rounds and about a year come to mind. And then, all I had to do was clean just the chamber to get it working again.

He also thought AR's were weak, didn't understand the fact that the receiver doesn't hold pressure, and couldn't educate him. A couple of folks I know jumped in about that point, IIRC. If you were one of them, thanks.

Sorry,

It wasn't me. I didn't read it in time and others chimed in. I'm glad I'm not in that guys unit though. He is a dolt.

I once had a unit armorer tell us that the gunners in the platoons were the reason for the deadlined M-60s. He said that we didn't know how to fire them and were breaking them by pulling the trigger with the bolt locked to the rear. Not just in function testing them in the reserve center (you always wanted to ride the bolt charging handle into the closed position when you pulled the trigger) but on the range with live ammo. It was over 20 minutes of back and forth, and I had to get an M-60 operators manual to show him how the thing worked.

These two were probably cut from the same bolt of cloth.

Brain

You should've seen the thread when they were trying to tell me about adjusting headspace on an M14.

They insisted that the military laps the bolts. I just couldn't convince them otherwise, they had ALL the answers. Fricking boneheads. The M14 thread is what made me pretty much quit posting there. One of the guys tried to screw me out of the gun, thinking I was too stupid to know better. I hate a**h***s from the Carolinas now, arrogant bastards. They make Mass Liberals seem friendly.

Nickle said:
Ross, I'm not hindered over at FALFiles, since I don't do business on the forums there. I did state my opinion there.
yeah, you did... which was about what I was expecting from reading between the lines here. [smile]

derek said:
What is their web address?

They don't have any valid email or website in the research I've done - or that a paralegal friend has done for me. The only info I know of is in the link I provided above with their street address and phone #. They rarely answer their phone/fax but such a number does exist. Needless to say - they stay away from the public. Someone said they havent been at gun shows in Maine lately - gee I wonder why?

Back
Top Bottom