1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2. Dismiss Notice

My house got broken into today. (What security system do you guys use?)

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by MassachussettsMosinNagant, Aug 9, 2019.

1. MassachussettsMosinNagant

MassachussettsMosinNagant

Hello folks [wave]

Today was what started off as one of the better days of my summer. Beautiful New England sun glimmering against the water front backdrop of this wonderful eastern state. I went out for a bite to eat at Magoni's with the folks. River side dining, italian bistro. My 92 year old great grandmother came. Was a lovely evening. Truly lovely. What better to ruin a positive mood then these tax sapping losers. Of course anything lovely and a patriotic brunch in this wonderful country is short lived in a state like ASSachussetts. Where it's philocephy to take what isn't yours.

When we got home, I was greeted with a sight that has always been one of my worst nightmares. Door caved in. Home invasion while i'm not home to defend my property. Complete violation of all my sanctity and privacy. Unfathomable horror. I can't even describe the feeling. Part anger, part of you feels like a failure of a man to allow your wife's property to be burglarized, part of you feels just so violated and intruded upon. It's just something that I would never be able to understand until it happens. It's simply bullshit.

[​IMG]

These crackhead, lowlife, liberal, man bun having, moped driving, miller high life drinking BUMS!!! in my ghetto ass city are the culprit. If I wasn't a knucklehead and had security cameras i'd know which neighbor to curb stomp. But sadly I didn't.

I say it's a neighbor because it seems extremely coordinated, the timing perfectly for when we all left. They knew how many people live in the house AND that we all left. I doubt a random thief would take such a gamble in broad daylight with my car in the driveway. They knew the entire house was empty, and knew which way of entrance was weakest. They knew how long we'd be gone and took the timing right.

Their is a man bun having drunk loser welfare case on the 2nd floor of the house next door, he was poking around even after I returned. He has been a barrel raiding piece of shit for a long time. And his girlfriend threw him out recently. So he has been desperate. But since I have no proof it was him, I couldn't just beat him up. I am not one to jump to conclusions without evidence even on a hunch. He may be innocent. And weather he is a degenerate or not. The man is entitled to due process.

[​IMG]

Ok, first off, I want to add they didn't actually manage to get into the apartment and as far as I know, they didn't steal anything of value. Only the house entrance was completely destroyed. I have no clue why. They gave up before actually breaching the home. Lazy junkie didn't have the power to break down a 80 dollar home depot door. He should be ashamed of himself as a man. (Yes i'm assuming gender)

That is the only silver lining to the story. And I count my lucky chickens he didn't get in. I got lucky so much by them not being able to break in and attempt to steal my 20,000 dollars worth of collectibles, TVs and guns. They would have completely ruined my lifes work.

They broke my molding on the left side of the door, completely split the bottom landing door, gained access to the entry and made up to the 2nd floor (assuming because their was a window and they didn't want to be seen) and then started pulling the door frame apart with a crowbar. Hammered the damn door knob with a hammer and then gave up.

I assume why they stopped was because my 110 pound labrador started barking which probably made them think they'd be seen or bit. And he has clangy dog tags which probably sounded like a human reaching for their keys.

If I were home, it would have been the worst day of their life. I wouldn't have even shot them of course unless I had to. No fun in that. Probably would have f***ed them in the ass prison style. Long and hard strokes. Until they learned to love it and beg for more. before or after breaking their fingers with a 5 pound sledge and boiling their head. I would have vieled all of it under the guise of "citizen's arrest". Sheriff done said it was the harshest case of Citizens Arrest he ever did see. :D

But to change the direction of this thread, This has turned into a slight positive to me. Because aside from the 300 dollars in damage to my wall and my deadbolt and door. I actually got off unscathed luckily. And now I have a wake up call to not be so stupid and to protect my property with a alarm system.

I want the type of system where if someome breaches the home, it notifies me immediately and then the police. Cameras to see who it is, what they drive and then an alarm to hopefully spook them away before getting into the apartments.

What type of security do you guys use when you aren't home to protect your property? Brinks is popular. Seems pricey but i'm willing to invest to protect properly.

Thanks for any suggestions :) Have a blessed weekend everyone.

Evadd likes this.
  2. GM-GUY

GM-GUY NES Member

Ring Doorbells are the quickest easiest to start with. If it’s an apartment - go with simply safe, they recently added cameras as well.

Both of the above require a WiFi network

BigTimber and 76Too like this.
  3. Waher

Waher NES Member

You need better doors, frames, and locks for starters.

4. 76Too

76Too NES Member

not 100% true...simplisafe can also work off cell signal as a primary, or as a backup in case someone figures out how to kill the wifi.

I ordered it for the new house in Indiana along with an HD camera for the living room. It's really great for me because I can watch my dogs sleep while I waste away here in MA waiting for my house to be ready to sell.

super cost effective, but do yourself a favor and use better double sided tape than they provide with the components. it sticks to some things, but others not so much. the upgraded monitoring with video recording is $15 a month...chump change for what you just went through.

Set it up the same day and test EVERYTHING. Mine took 2 or 3 hours, but I got a bigger kit and tested everything as I went so I didn't run into a shit show at the end (it was also 1 or 2am and I had a 6am flight).

i'm a little concerned about your 'prison style' comments, but you do you!

kalash and AntiHippie like this.
  5. nhams

nhams

I had Simplisafe, but stopped doing business with them after they publically stopped advertising with the NRA after the parkland shooting. I cant recommend an anti-gun company on a gun forum. Plus their app sucked compared to the competion, as did their price ($25/month with app use).

Ive switched to the Ring alarm system and am happy so far. $10/month or $100/year. And a way better app.

Kevin_NH and EJFudd like this.
  6. Skysoldier

Skysoldier Forum Curmudgeon NES Member

Many years ago my house was broken into. It was a neighborhood in Albuquerque that had a high burglary rate, mostly because there was a large apartment complex nearby
    filled with Section 8 folks, and also the place where the guy's just getting out of prison were provided apartments by our fine city government.

The house was build in 1948, and the front door was pretty flimsy. After having my front door kicked in 3 time in 3 years, I finally bit the bullet and had a new metal door
    and frame installed.

One day, my wife left the house to take our two youngest kids a couple of blocks over to a neighbors to babysit them, when she got back to the house a few minutes later, there was a scumbag
    sitting on the curb, and he seemed to be in a bit of pain, grabbing his ankle. He told her he slipped on the sidewalk and hurt his ankle, and asked her to call his girlfriend to come get him.

As my wife went inside, she noticed the shoe prints on the front door, so she called the cops. Sure enough, the scumbags shoeprints matched the door, and they arrested him for attempted
    on suspicion of breaking and entering when he was being treated at the hospital for a broken ankle.[rofl]

Later that day, they went to his apartment with a search warrant and found it filled with stolen goods. And he had only been on parole for a month!

One of my daughters still lives in that same house, and not much has changed. She has a Ring camera, and other cameras that alert her at work when someone is sneaking around the house.

Just last week she got an alert and watched another scumbag trying to get in the house. and the only thing that made him give up was when her two dogs started barking!

A couple of dogs will give your home more protection than a bunch of cameras.

7. MAGG

MAGG NES Member

"If I were home, it would have been the worst day of their life. I wouldn't have even shot them of course unless I had to. No fun in that. Probably would have f***ed them in the ass prison style. Long and hard strokes. Until they learned to love it and beg for more. before or after breaking their fingers with a 5 pound sledge and boiling their head. I would have vieled all of it under the guise of "citizen's arrest". Sheriff done said it was the harshest case of Citizens Arrest he ever did see."

wish I didn't read this description right before trying to go to bed now, lol.....sorry about the break in tho OP....

nastynatural likes this.
  8. Evadd

Evadd NES Member

First, I'm glad neither you nor your family was home. Better to deal with busted door parts over the alternative.

Second - reinforce your door. At the very least, get a deadbolt that is compatible with a large plate that uses longass screws. There are many options beyond that. You'd be surprised how much more difficult it is to bust that down compared to the regular stuff. If the door is cheap, however, that's another story.

3rd- get some cameras. I recently installed Arlo cameras around my house, but I think that's overkill for your situation if your only need to cover 1 entrance. Ring or other similar brands should work well to cover 1 entry.

9. mibro

mibro NES Member

10. MassachussettsMosinNagant

MassachussettsMosinNagant

At first my instinct was to think the opposite and said "I really wish I was here" thinking of the obvious that I would have defended the home and beat the shit out of or worst to the intruder. But I think you are right. Firstly the intruder might have had a weapon or company. And secondly, I happen to live in a state that sides with drug addicted home invaders over law abiding gun owners. So any method of defending my property would have wound me up in the blue light hotel with the orange robe trading coloring books for milk cartons. Sadly, arrest first, ask later city and furthermore country. And you need a good lawyer to ever get out of an obvious lawful defense of property. Sad times.

Thank you for all the advice everyone. I think my first obvious step is metal door, reinforced plates, military grade deadbolt. Maybe even 2 deadbolts. Then the cameras and alarms. But I think as others have said. A robber might get deterred just looking at a metal door. I have a metal door in the back entryway. And I got locked out of my own house once. I tried kicking that bitch in with everything I had. Nothing getting that thing down. Not even Brock Lesnar. Need a swat battering ram to knock that f***er. It's still standing. I didn't even phase it. It's metal and has a deadbolt. If I do that to all entry doors and the apartment doors. They'll be given a hard time.

11. Bmcl322

Bmcl322 NES Member

12. mibro

mibro NES Member

Spend a few minutes studying the entry door and you'll see how flimsy the construction is. The only thing holding the door closed is a one inch strip of pine. The standard entry door is built to keep law-abiding people out but can generally be opened with one solid kick.

If it's a solid wood door you get a huge upgrade just from installing a long metal plate over the handle side jamb with long screws that engage the framing around the door frame and the same long screws on the hinge side. Now the door can no longer be kicked in.

It's pointless to make one entry door impregnable when there are other potential entry points into your house. Harden them all together and equally - a little bit of upgrade all around.

By the way, it's illegal to maintain a "fortified residence" in some states. When SWAT comes knocking they want to get in. Can't find anything about Massachusetts in this regard.

GiveMeLiberty likes this.
  13. Chrisf350

Chrisf350

14. Knob Creek

Knob Creek NES Member

Blink and deadbolts keyed on both sides.

lowbuckbob likes this.
  15. mothybee

mothybee NES Member

Wait a minute here! I drink Miller!

bigpick, H-minus, TLB and 1 other person like this.
  16. mothybee

mothybee NES Member

Mine couldn't master the bolt but, he loves his new Mini14.

17. Evadd

Evadd NES Member

Are you renting? If the front door needs repair, is that not the landlord's responsibility?

18. sigfanboy13

sigfanboy13

With that penchant for buttstuff OP you should buy a security gimp ala pulp fiction

BBQ.Uncle and MAGG like this.
  19. Penniepup1

Penniepup1 NES Member

I’m glad nothing was taken but sorry for the anxiety it caused. Scum are everywhere, no one lives in Mayberry.

20. new guy

new guy NES Member

Just don’t show a home or insurance inspector, and hope you don’t have a fire.

21. NH_Realtor

NH_Realtor NES Life Member NES Member

Abode. It’s a WiFi based self monitoring system and you can pay for monitoring a la carte instead of having to pay $15 a month. So if your going out of town for 2 weeks you can pay for professional monitoring just for those 2 weeks. Otherwise it alerts your phone if there’s a disturbance and you can either dismiss or have it call the cops.

abode Home Security - Top-Rated, Contract-Free Home Security Systems

We have it at our vacation rental property and it’s awesome. After trying frontpoint and simp Lisa gets I didn’t want to get into a contract with anyone and came across Abode. Had it for 2+ years no, no issues other than it goes down when the WiFi goes down or the power goes out. If I paid for it you can get the cell backup but I’m not overly concerned about it up there. Mostly I got it to make sure renters don’t try to break into my owners closet.

We also have Arlo cameras up there, but that’s more for checking out the sunsets on the lake when we can’t be there.

JayMcB likes this.
  22. babygorilla

babygorilla NES Member

Blink camera's

23. Woodsloafer

Woodsloafer

24. Mountain

Mountain NES Member

Oh c'mon, fess up. You were already searching Amazon for pry bars, ski masks, and Glide; then checking the OP's pic metadata for a location. [rofl]

On a serious note, glad nothing was taken from you MassMosin. Unless some local dirtbag thinks he can get along with your dog, it's more likely that someone who isn't familiar with your place tried to break in. They made tracks when the dog did his job.

There are some very good suggestions for hardware in the above posts, but don't underestimate the effectiveness of a large dog. My parents always had Dobermans after a couple break-ins, and I've always had Rotts since my wife and I have been together. We have a Rott and a GSD now. I'm out of country a lot, and the dogs are not only a big deterrent one of them stopped a break-in after the door was breached. A Lab is big enough.

Also think about moving when you are able. That break-in mentioned above was at our first townhouse in an area that was going to sh!t.

MAGG likes this.
  25. lowbuckbob

lowbuckbob NES Member

I have 3 blink cameras

26. teaser452

teaser452

I have blink cameras.

But another member here alerted me to these:

Cheaper and have two way speakers.

WyzeCam: 1080p HD Smart Home Camera With Free AWS Cloud

20 bucks each. Haven’t received mine yet, but I think they’ll be better than blink. And blink became Amazon after I bought the blinks. So no more blinks for me.

Cameras don’t stop burglars. But it helps catch them. And probably a deterrent when they see the cameras light up all over the place and they know they’ve been had.

27. quincy

quincy NES Member

Segal vertical deadbolts work very well with a steel door and frame. I also have the standard type of deadbolt as well. If you really like dogs, they’re great but very expensive and time consuming to maintain. Frontpoint is what I use.

28. enbloc

enbloc NES Life Member NES Member

You guys are too Hi-Tech...

[​IMG]

29. Bonesinium

Bonesinium

Whatever you do, make sure the door/latches/locks are not only installed correctly, but have proper fitment. Seems obvious but you’d be surprised how common it is to have doors easily bypassed because of improper fitting.

30. GiveMeLiberty

GiveMeLiberty NES Member

I like mibro's suggestion of metal plate and longer screws.
    Also, surprised someone with a man bun has the balls to break into someone's home...