My hometown in the news -Reading and a Turkey

Shark_Cage

NES Member
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
You might have heard the Reading sort of adopted this gimpy wild turkey. There is a 5k member Facebook account dedicated to him. Well he just died and Barstool sports (KFC) just destroyed them in a blog. BYW it’s Reading MA not PA

Picton

NES Member
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
That damn Gimpy got in everyone's way. I hated having to stop and wait for his wounded ass down across from Venetian Moon a few times in October. I like animals as much as the next guy, and I'd never indiscriminately kill any tiny woodland creatures... but when those things encroach on our turf?

ETA: Oopsy. My 10-year-old tells me it's Limpy, not Gimpy. Gee.

The kids of Reading are terribly distraught.:rolleyes:

Last edited:

TrackDayRdr

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hilarious!! I really can't stand people like that, the same people that can't decide between Warren and Sanders but think a Warren/Sanders or Sanders/Warren ticket (they jus' can't decide because just how do you choose between great and great?) would be just uh-MAY-zing!!

If there was another planet to move to I would go in an instant. Short of that, maybe a new state? No coincidence that Reading people behave like this and also have an REI in town.

Picton

NES Member
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
Hilarious!! I really can't stand people like that, the same people that can't decide between Warren and Sanders but think a Warren/Sanders or Sanders/Warren ticket (they jus' can't decide because just how do you choose between great and great?) would be just uh-MAY-zing!!

If there was another planet to move to I would go in an instant. Short of that, maybe a new state? No coincidence that Reading people behave like this and also have an REI in town.
Aww. That's a low blow. The REI has been here since LONG before Facebook existed, and it's only barely in Reading.

TrackDayRdr

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aww. That's a low blow. The REI has been here since LONG before Facebook existed, and it's only barely in Reading.
I only have a little herpes = you still have the herps. Have you seen the people in REI? 99% would have sided with the pro-Limpy crowd during the lynching of the old lady who accidentally tire stomped his snood.

Last edited:

Picton

NES Member
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
I only have a little herpes = you still have the herps. Have you seen the people in REI? 99% would have sided with the pro-Limpy crowd during the lynching of the old lady who tire stomped his snood.
uncle.

Tommy Gun

NES Life Member
NES Member
Rating - 100%
123   0   1

TrackDayRdr

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The ability for people to anthropomorphize has no bounds. Limpy knew love at the end? I also love turkey, but by the time I get to it it's usually either smoked or roasted.

They didn't have to drive to Waltham to cremate Limpy. My mother proves her ability to make turkey ashes every November and lives right next door in Wilmington.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
"Meet Limpy. Limpy was the town turkey in Reading, Pennsylvania. (UPDATE – I thought it was Reading, PA. Apparently it was Reading, MA. Doesnt really matter except this first paragraph I start to ramble about Reading, PA. Oh well. whatever. Funnier this way.)"

why let facts get in the way of your reporting.....

They are calling it a "hit and run". I thought in PA....I mean MA you don't need to stop if you hit a wild animal or any animal for that fact.. So why is this labeled a "hit and run". That implies a crime. I don't Luke that term to be misused. And if you do stop don't you have first dibs on keeping it for dinner? i.e. when you hit a deer....isn't there a state deer list for road kill? I thought there was.

Picton

NES Member
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
Maybe. But the situation with the Limpy death scene was... fraught. If the driver had tried to grab Limpy and take him home to eat him, it might have started a riot.

Remember, when he died the locals were BRINGING HIM CORN TO EASE HIS PASSING. They'd have killed the person who then said, "Well, okay. Best be getting him home and plucking him now."

grey

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The stupid thing got a limp from playing in traffic. I guess it wasnt willing to learn anything important about roads and cars

Being from Reading Pa, there would've been a line of people trying to get first dibs to take it home and pluck it

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
We had a similar episode in our town. Local losers named the turkey and mourned it’s passing when it too played in traffic with the wrong car.
I hate the damn birds. Saw one causing a traffic jam in Swampscot in Paradise road yesterday. Kept pecking at the hub caps of a minivan.
A Few months back we brought the boy to the Dr.s office. As we pulled into the parking spot a turkey goes running by followed closely by a coyote. We watched the coyote tackle the turkey in the road as both of them almost get hit by a car. When they recovered from that the chase resumed. I was really pulling for the coyote.

The5thDentist

NES Life Member
NES Member
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
[rofl][rofl][rofl][rofl][rofl][rofl][rofl][rofl][rofl][rofl][rofl][rofl][rofl][rofl][rofl][rofl][rofl]

"One turkey has entered so many hearts. Who knew that we would end up loving a turkey that liked to be in the road disrupting traffic or hanging out with his favorite mailman Brian Page?! Limpy had an amazing chirp and wing span. His disability did not stop him from chasing cars, grazing on lawn and flying high up on wires or on top of the Reading Fire Station on Woburn Street where he would roast at night."

That's from the gofundme or whatever the cluck it is. Their typo. I added the boldface.

Top Bottom