My Head Hurts

Trying to find a good upper for my first AR15 build. The lower is complete (thanks to the awesome help from Jim).

Damn...there's so much choice out there, I almost don't know where to begin. [smile]

Was thinking of Spike's Tactical - except there is a 4-6 week wait (want something for the pumpkin shoot...lol). So now I'm thinking of Del-Ton or PK Tactical.

Just wanted to vent...It's a good vent, but can get overwhelming...especially when I see something nice, only to discover it's $1200!!!!!

I need a drink!!!! [smile]

I am a Stag fan. Then again, I am a lefty.

Find an upper you really want instead of somerthing to rush for the pumpkin shoot.

A trusted source suggested this to me... railed BCM w/Daniel Defense rail. I'm in the process of saving the coin for it as we speak.

Ive got a Delton M4 flat top upper on its way to me now.
http://www.del-ton.com/AR_15_Barrel_Assembly_p/dt1029.htm
It was on sale when I it bought six weeks ago for $395.00 and the price seemed right.
Ive bought a few parts and such from Delton in the past and their products and service have been great.
Ill let you know how it shoots after the weekend.[grin]

What is going to be your primary use for it? If it is just for anything and everything, I've had good luck with www.Rguns.com, They have a good selection of calibers and barrel lengths, handguards etc and the prices are right. Del-ton is also a good name. And take a peek at BCM.com, another good choice for uppers. Good luck.

I'm considering a BCM and they have a lot in stock. However, what kind of upper are you looking for?

Yes, BCM is another company I was looking at. Although I don't like how they entice you with a nice price, but it doesn't include the charging handle and bolt carrier. Really, since this is my first real AR I'm after something general purpose (home defense and target/plinking). Certainly LMT would be great, but I can't justify the expense. Unless someone wants to give me one :)

Yes, BCM is another company I was looking at. Although I don't like how they entice you with a nice price, but it doesn't include the charging handle and bolt carrier. Really, since this is my first real AR I'm after something general purpose (home defense and target/plinking). Certainly LMT would be great, but I can't justify the expense. Unless someone wants to give me one :)

FYI: i have 3ea., 5.56 / .223 AR Upper's on "low end" lowers.

1. DPMS zombie killa with minor upgrades... runs like a champ
2. YMH Diamond 20" upper on a Stag lower w / A2 stock
3. White Oak 20" service rifle upper on a NES lower

they ALL run like champs... no FTFs or FTEs to date using various ammo.

IF cost was a factor, i'd say go with DPMS, RRA, Delton...

IF overall quality was a factor, i'd recommend any of the ones i mentioned.... i'm NOT knocking any of the higher end $$$ uppers, but i can shoot mine just fine w/o issues.....

You might also find what you need at Remsport. If you're not too far North in NH it might be an easy ride for you. No wait for shipping (if time is a factor) and they are very easy to work with.

When the only thing that will improve MY shooting is the quality and price of a high end upper, I will get one.
Otherwise, pretty much anything will do for me. I ain't that great. I have a Colt, DPMS, RRA, and a Remsport.
They all suit me fine. No issues. But then again, I don't try to shoot chipmunks @ 600 yds. either. Just my .02.

Why are you not considering Remsport Mfg. We are right in Mass. and we can build an upper to spec for you.
No waiting and our uppers carry a lifetime warrant.
The pricing is compatible with off the rack mail order uppers and you can come into the shop and pick out the components you want in your upper.
Before you make a decision please contact us at Remsport.
Thank you
John
413 579 1994

Why are you not considering Remsport Mfg. We are right in Mass. and we can build an upper to spec for you.
No waiting and our uppers carry a lifetime warrant.
The pricing is compatible with off the rack mail order uppers and you can come into the shop and pick out the components you want in your upper.
Before you make a decision please contact us at Remsport.
Thank you
John
413 579 1994

FYI John built my first AR, and I've been very happy with it. I wish I had better pictures.

MyAR004.jpg

MyAR003.jpg

MyAR002.jpg

I LOVE my noveske, but I paid an arm and leg for it. I recently bought a 20" upper from BCM that I'm very happy with. I think BCM is the best value these days.

Pkfirearms builds some nice uppers. A friend picked up an upper with a sabre defense barrel, DD forearm that is a very nice. Around $800

Just curious...why a Daniel Defense handguard in particular?

Is it personal preference or specific features/quality?

It's very easy to remove the rail system to do maintenance under the rail. They do use a proprietary barrel nut though. It's a very solid free float system and the quality is excellent.

Ok, I'm settling on the following, a Rock River Arms CAR A4 16 inch chrome lined barrel with a, 9 " YHM Diamond Rail Upper from PK firearms. I'll probably go and get some pop-up sites for it too.

Still thinking of Spikes...but heck, if I get my Christmas bonus I might get both [smile].

Back
Top Bottom