• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

My Head Hurts

Ok, one question....what's the difference between a 16" carbine (CAR) barrel, and a 16" Mid-length. I understand that the Mid-length is generally deemed to be more reliable?

Ok, one question....what's the difference between a 16" carbine (CAR) barrel, and a 16" Mid-length. I understand that the Mid-length is generally deemed to be more reliable?

The gas port is farther down the barrel on a mid-length (between the standard carbine gas port and rifle gas port locations). They are very fashionable now. I don't know about reliability -- there are plenty of carbines out there that work fine. No reason not to get the midlength. The only real negative is that there are slightly fewer handguard choices, but that is changing rapidly.

The recoil impulse will not be as harsh with the midlength. Run a rifle length handguard with a low profile gas block

Will reliability go up as the gas length increases? That seems to be the case from what I can read.

Will reliability go up as the gas length increases? That seems to be the case from what I can read.

As Economist says, there really is no reason why a carbine would not run 100%, but you are dealing with higher pressure, the gun wants to unlock sooner, so the window of reliability is smaller. But the main reason to go to a full length would be for a rifle that is not as harsh to shoot. I added a pigtail gas tube, that makes a carbine length gas system into a rifle length, and it definitely smoothed out the rifle

Why do I listen to you guys? "Build an AR15 Matt, it's the cheap way to go"...sure....Now I have the upper ordered I need a scope/sites!!! Aimpoint? Trijicon? $$$$$. Oh, and I need a backup site...Magpul $$$$, oh and I need a vertical grip $$$$, and a tripod, and a laser, and a range finder....etc etc .... I'm going to be one very poor person soon [smile].

This is getting dangerously addictive, and the freaking rifle isn't even built yet.

For sights, it depends on the application. For short range / run and gun I would go with an Aimpoint Micro T-1. If you want to add precise shot placement beyond 100 yards, get one of the 1-4x scopes such as the Nightforce 1-4x24 NXS or the Leupold Mark 4 (or go nuts and get a Schmidt & Bender Short Dot). For these 1-4x scopes I would go with the LaRue SPR-E mount to get a little extra room. Finally, for precision rifle, there are lots of scope options but I really like the Nightforce 2.5-10x32 on an AR.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom