My Guns Thread from start to future

While the OP's choice of rifle would not have been my first choice, it was a good choice because it was available, within price range and will far outshoot the others he listed in Post # 118.

Don has valid points, but Current Times require he (OP) get a Battle Rifle. The C308 fills that bill...handily.
If and when things get back to normal, he can pick something else, when Gun Stores are back open and have a better selection on hand. Or, not.

My bigger concern is; Function testing, sighting it in and getting a good supply of ammo for it. Everything else is subjective...

1587425755383.png
So, how's it feel in your hands...?

Last edited:
I don't necessarily agree, @dcmdon. Plenty of brand-new shooters used a .308 as their first rifle. Most were in the military. My dad was one of them, as a recruit in the M14 days. He did just fine.

It's all in how you get trained, and there's more than one way to do that effectively. I agree that a new shooter ought to pursue training as best he can, but you need to look at this from the OP's perspective: he cannot get effective training right now, he's concerned about bans, and he's making the best decision for himself in a time and place where finding new firearms is a massive challenge.

Rock that .308, OP. Keep the faith and do your best. Dry fire as best you can. Look up the dime-washer drill, set up in your living room, and work on that trigger squeeze. And remember, there might be a reason the .40s are so cheap...

Shoot the piss out of that rifle, work out the bugs (if any) and make it an extension of not just your arm, but your brain.
See the rounds hit where you want them to, even before squeezing the trigger...

Make your familiarity and ability with it become... boring.

Go get 'em Tiger!

Watch these and count the days till you get to the range...

Last edited:
This Public Service Announcement brought to you by Paul Harrell,
and is for any new members/gun owners here on NES who may be following this thread.

Shoot the piss out of that rifle, work out the bugs (if any) and make it an extension of not just your arm, but your brain.
See the rounds hit where you want them to, even before squeezing the trigger...

Make your familiarity and ability with it become... boring.

Go get 'em Tiger!

Watch these and count the days till you get to the range...

I did see these already.
I watched a bunch of videos and read reviews before the purchase.
After purchase I've been hunting for accessories and upgrades.
Still researching that as we speak.

100 rounds of federal brass match ammo has been ordered.
I know it chews brass(flutes it) so steel will be my next "throwaway" ammo purchase i.e. wolf.

I did see these already.
I watched a bunch of videos and read reviews before the purchase.
After purchase I've been hunting for accessories and upgrades.
Still researching that as we speak.

100 rounds of federal brass match ammo has been ordered.
I know it chews brass(flutes it) so steel will be my next "throwaway" ammo purchase i.e. wolf.

I'm a FAL guy myself. But whatever you learn to shoot well is the best rifle for you.

Awesome choice with the VP9. I have heard it is a fantastic pistol and I wanted one as well when I first started shooting (I still want to grab one at some point when the price is right).

The C308 is a fascinating first choice for a rifle because its not quite in the limelight like other rifles (Scar, FAL, M1A, etc.) but Century Arms is a solid company and I have heard they have good customer service and the C308 runs reliably. Interesting that the charging handle is pretty far up on the upper receiver but if you’re of larger stature it should be manageable.

Awesome choice with the VP9. I have heard it is a fantastic pistol and I wanted one as well when I first started shooting (I still want to grab one at some point when the price is right).

The C308 is a fascinating first choice for a rifle because its not quite in the limelight like other rifles (Scar, FAL, M1A, etc.) but Century Arms is a solid company and I have heard they have good customer service and the C308 runs reliably. Interesting that the charging handle is pretty far up on the upper receiver but if you’re of larger stature it should be manageable.
I would've like an m1a Socom 2 or 16, but they are out of my price range.

I would've like an m1a Sodom 2 or 16, but they are out of my price range.
Man, I hear you. The M1A SOCOM is a great rifle. These are two M1As that belong to my buddy’s brother’s friend. Out of my price range as well but absolutely incredible to dream about one day owning.

Attachments

• 164FE7CF-436E-45A7-A6C3-FF1FA0DEA1D2.jpeg
    164FE7CF-436E-45A7-A6C3-FF1FA0DEA1D2.jpeg
    165.7 KB · Views: 18
Thats a nice ati scorpion shotgun as well.
If I didn't have my eye heavily on the keltec ks7, thatd be the one I'd go for
I don’t know the man personally, but I DO KNOW he has damn good taste in firearms.

Edit: The Kel-Tec KS7 is another home run in my book. I almost got it’s godfather, the KSG, from the forums but was unable to seal the deal.

Last edited:
Ok, i'm going to ask a question, that i kinda expect to not get an answer from.
I'm looking at building an AR15. ya know ,just because. I finally found the lower and upper that ive been looking at thats sold out just about everywhere. And it seems crazy cheap(i.e. too good to pass up).

Are there any friendly gun shops that are known to transfer a stripped lower and upper?

Im going to ask the shop where I got my VP9 tomorrow. But I figured, itd be good to have a backup.

Last edited:
I'm looking at building an AR15. ya know ,just because. I finally found the lower and upper that ive been looking at thats sold out just about everywhere. And it seems crazy cheap(i.e. too good to pass up).

Are there any friendly gun shops that are known to transfer a stripped lower and upper?

Im going to ask the shop where I got my VP9 tomorrow. But I figured, itd be good to have a backup.
Only the lower is a firearm. That means the upper and all the other parts, except the lower, can be sent directly to you, no FFL involved. And I'm assuming it's a stripped lower and not an 80%.
Call around I'm sure you can find someone to do the transfer of the lower, assuming it's legal. You don't say where you are. In NH you're GtG, in MA it has to be pre-ban. And you may find that with shipping and the transfer fee, buying from the shop may be cheaper.
But if it's crazy cheap I'd be asking who the seller is. If it's a know place, ok, if its some unknown on gunbroker or some scetchy listing, well you know the saying about something being too good to be true.

Some people talk about shops willing to transfer post-ban stuff in MA, I don't personally know of any and you'd have to be someone very special for them to risk their livelyhood on a sale of a lower.

I am in massachusetts. Thought it was on there. My bad.

I guess I was misunderstood about the lower rule. I thought a post ban stripped lower was ok

Last edited:

I guess I was misinformed about the lower rule. I thought a post ban stripped lower was ok
A lower is the "firearm", any law that apply it as a firearm also applies to it as a lower.

I suppose a post-ban lower with a fixed mag would be ok, there is at least one NES member manufacturing fixed mag ARs.

I guess I was misinformed about the lower rule. I thought a post ban stripped lower was ok
They are okay but good luck finding a dealer to transfer them. I only know of one dealer who “might” transfer a lower. No I’m not posting who.

You’re other option is to buy a lower from mass firearms school. They were posting here on the forum about $49 Anderson lowers. I believe you have to sign an affidavit saying you will only build a 22lr AR...

You could also grab a complete lower that was registered in MA before 2016 from out of state. Little loophole action right there, but I’ll follow with the obligatory IANAL.

You’re other option is to buy a lower from mass firearms school. They were posting here on the forum about $49 Anderson lowers. I believe you have to sign an affidavit saying you will only build a 22lr AR...
True, as a 22LR it's ok. My personal comfort level doesn't extend to having a bunch of documentation and then conflicting physical evidence. So wouldn't say that unless it was 100% true.

But then again I'm in NH now so, F you Maura, I'm going to build a super scary AR with ALL the really nasty features. [smile] [mg]

I'm not in MA but if I was I would allocate the $$ to buy a pre ban lower or rifle and magazines (also need to be pre ban) for it. Possibly such might be found as a package deal.

Not being impacted by the stuff I never pay close attention to it but I have noticed really expensive simple AR's in my local NH gun shops labeled pre ban for MA, cost ballpark $2500.. of course just a lower works but such might be harder to find.

Another option is you can buy mini 14's and 30's in MA still today, as well as pistol caliber carbines.. You will be limited to 10 round mags (unless you can find pre bans which may be a valid option for mini's, may be a valid option for Glock mag pcc's too).. I would not trade my AR's for such but a mini 30 with a 10 round mag is a nice handy rifle capable of defense and commonly used for deer hunting, which for < 1k you could buy brand new no hassle.

You're other option is buying a lower from TPNES....

While the OP's choice of rifle would not have been my first choice, it was a good choice because it was available, within price range and will far outshoot the others he listed in Post # 118.

Don has valid points, but Current Times require he (OP) get a Battle Rifle. The C308 fills that bill...handily.
If and when things get back to normal, he can pick something else, when Gun Stores are back open and have a better selection on hand. Or, not.

My bigger concern is; Function testing, sighting it in and getting a good supply of ammo for it. Everything else is subjective...

View attachment 350241
So, how's it feel in your hands...?
I have a PTR91, and love the thing, aside from the way it abuses brass. Plus, 20 round pre-ban magazines are stupidly cheap. I got a box of 30 of them for $45 delivered.

You're other option is buying a lower from TPNES....

I have seen that thread and been keeping an eye on it

Back
Top Bottom