• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

My Guns Thread from start to future

Range report.
I'm unsure I'm a pistol red dot fan.
Either I have horrible luck with pistol red dots, or I just suck with them.

My groups are shit at 10 yards. On target but massively shit.
With irons on my apx it seems that I'm shooting better.

I could just suck that bad as well.

The rifle continues to give me issues.
This time to the range, I brought a plain ole bcg(aim surplus np3) and buffer(odinworks adjustable, pulled from my other AR).
Tried each individually from each other. And I continue to have issues.

I fire a round , it cycles. But the bolt doesn't go all the way to battery.
I fire a round, it doesn't cycle.
I fire a round, it jambs.
Each of these happen independently from each other.
A person at the range says they had the same issue and it turned out to be a clogged gas tube.
I kinda eliminated that idea, because it does cycle when the gas block is wide open.

the last idea I have is, that I need an extra power buffer spring.

Magazines are 10 round magpuls or a 10 round cross industries.
I haven't tried my pre ban with an extra power spring yet.

I have yet to be able to fire 2 rounds consistently back to back.
The only other thing that comes across my mind was, that the adjustable gas block, wasn't aligned correctly.
So I took that apart and made sure it was.
The last one which seems very unlikely is the charging handle is binding it up some how.
So I put the regular one back in.
Then go this weekend to fire again.
Stick with the red dot. Takes a little bit, bit when it all comes together you'll love them!

You rifle did not need adjustable gas to begin with - it should function ok wide open. What exactly happened when it was open?

Also, it is a new rifle. Make sure it is wet to the point of dripping oil. BCG, charging handle, all surfaces contacting moving parts - lubricate all.

Also - I had some BS with some .223 Swiss ammo I had once, also had cycling issues initially with last new LaRue. It all went away eventually, after shooting m855 and steel Tula. Your issues - was it on same ammo or several diff brands?

You rifle did not need adjustable gas to begin with - it should function ok wide open. What exactly happened when it was open?
Future proofing. I hope to not live in Massachusetts forever.

Cycle,throw the cartridge perfectly to 4, won't go in battery all the way.

Cycle, tries to grab a round, but jambs.

No matter the bcg or buffer.

Future proofing. I hope to not live in Massachusetts forever.

Cycle,throw the cartridge perfectly to 4, won't go in battery all the way.

Cycle, tries to grab a round, but jambs.

No matter the bcg or buffer.
Put round in, disconnect magazine, fire and check what will happen. If it is handle - it will stuck again. If it cycling fine with no mag - swap magazines, a generic plastic 10rd magpul should have no issues.

Did you put upper in the vise, ever?

I have a similar BS on my AR10 with 20rd old mag and brass ammo, last round almost never feeds well.

Put round in, disconnect magazine, fire and check what will happen. If it is handle - it will stuck again. If it cycling fine with no mag - swap magazines, a generic plastic 10rd magpul should have no issues.

Did you put upper in the vise, ever?

I have a similar BS on my AR10 with 20rd old mag and brass ammo, last round almost never feeds well.
No vise.
Used a number of magpul and cross.
It'll happen each round.
If I cycle by hand, it's mostly fine.

Which leads me to think a stronger buffer spring.

No vise.
Used a number of magpul and cross.
It'll happen each round.
If I cycle by hand, it's mostly fine.

Which leads me to think a stronger buffer spring.
It sounds to me like you don't have enough gas. I think you said it runs correctly with the adjustable gas block wide open? If so, why are you closing it at all?

It sounds to me like you don't have enough gas. I think you said it runs correctly with the adjustable gas block wide open? If so, why are you closing it at all?
Cycles, but doesn't fully go into battery.
Swapped bcg and a regular buffer in no change.

Just now swapped buffer spring from my other ar and tossed some remlube down the buffer tube

So, I found someone that is having the same issue as me with their build.

View: https://youtu.be/uk3SQDc7A7M

Cliff notes: the adjustable gas block appears to be machined incorrectly.
The holes do not line up 100%.
So, I have a fix in route. It's something I wanted to do originally but didn't.

In the mean time, the apx got an addition

16366060490827113573987755189434.jpg

So couple little updates.

I'm 98% positive I fixed the cycle issue due to incorrect machining of my spikes tactical gas block.
I went and replaced my gas system for what I wanted originally.

I snagged a superlative arms piston conversion kit.
Came with a new bolt carrier.
I snagged the bolt from the aim surplus np3 bolt I bought and put the adjustable bcg in the Joker style AR.

I'll be snagging the sharpes bros reliabolt in the near future to replace the aim surplus one.

Brought it home from a local gun shop because of the pin and weld.
Then discovered that my handguard/Rail didn't clear.

Scoured the internets for a new one for 3-4 hours then magically found one that used the same barrel nut.
Got that today and had to ever so slightly modify it by shaving off the anti turn tabs because it didn't 100% mate with my upper.

20211208_182734.jpg
20211208_182756.jpg

Going to test fire it Friday or Sunday.
Got to install the POF roller cam pin that I bought early on as well.

Then, I had a new little project in industry to try.
Sadly, I believe it's a failure.
I probably try a few other things since the cost isn't huge.

But I wanted to experiment with the apx.
20211208_183026.jpg

So I got a universal comp, a full size apx frame and a centurion threaded barrel.
Trigger group fits in a-ok
Magazines I have, only a couple.
Pretty sure they are full size mags, just with an adapter from where I purchased it from.
Recoil spring-is a no go.
It's a double captured fat boy in the centurion, where as the full size is long and skinny.
The slide- slides right on

So, I'm going to snag the full size recoil spring and see what that does.

So I just assembled it on the centurion anyways

20211208_190414.jpg

Probably won't keep it like this, or I'll swap out my edc for another one and see what it's like to shoot it this way.
I have 1 more mod experiment incoming as well for this

Small update.
Pretty much finished my 6.5 Grendel upper to tonight
Have more news this week.
Just waiting on parts for other stuff.

20220116_174605.jpg
20220116_201705.jpg
The grip, I'll be changing over from the new lower. I'll probably get another light so I don't have to go back and forth.

Aero precision xl upper(not needed for 6.5)
Superlative arms piston kit
Stngr USA handguns
Shaw custom 20 in 6.5 Grendel barrel
Wmd type 2 Grendel NibX bolt
Wmd NibX firing pin
Pof roller cam
Surefire warcomp

Also snagged a tlr7a for the apx
20220116_205354.jpg

Small update,

Added the beretta flat trigger to my 92 and 96.
Take note, if you decide to get it, you have to modify it to keep the sa/da function. Otherwise its just sa.

20220306_135532.jpg

If you are coming from the wilson short reach trigger like myself, be ready for returning to the stock like position.

Second update,
I moved my scope and my bipod over to my 6.5 grendel upper.

20220306_141932.jpg

And the last one. The .223/5.56 wylde build upper has come to a close. Maybe not including a rattlecan job.
20220307_190814.jpg

I have a feeling people may question my optics choice, especially couting the cost of both items and why i didnt just get an lvpo.
My answer will probably be laughed at as well. Because speed. Its faster just to slap a magnifier on or off to get back on target ( from videos ive seen. I havent put into exersize yet) vs dialing a lvpo.

Clint at classic firearms did a decent video about it.

I have a feeling people may question...
Haters gonna hate. The dot and magnifier vs LPVO argument seems like it's horses for courses. If you like this setup, then run it.

All that affirmation aside, what's all the garbage on the front of your handguard? And is that a fake suppressor?

Haters gonna hate. The dot and magnifier vs LPVO argument seems like it's horses for courses. If you like this setup, then run it.

All that affirmation aside, what's all the garbage on the front of your handguard? And is that a fake suppressor?
Surefire Warden. A blast forwarding device. So I play nice at the range.
Anything else?

not hating, usually astigmatism. therefore either a prism or lpvo choice is what i do.
i have it in both eyes as well.
But by whatever magic, if i look through a magnifier its perfectly fine.
With the red dot i just got, yes it looks like a comma.
Then theres the dot with the donut of death. I can just barely make out the donut of death.
But if i rock the donut of death with the 3 dots for bdc, forget about it. its just a red blur at that point w/o the magnifier.

I did consider the prism route, but the majority are super heavy.
I was kinda being a bit douchy in my optics choice this time around as well.
I wanted U.S. made/assembled optics

No, not that one. The Trigger on the 92 is way forward and don’t know how you get your finger in quickly.View attachment 587244
Ah, yes. That is going to take some getting use too. Luckily, my mitts(hands) are not that big.
If I didnt have that grip assembly on there, you would see there is more room there. So if you have the A1 or whatever model with the 1913 rail or a regular 92 and you dont want a light. There would be a little more room

So the 92 is one step close to being done.
2 weeks ago, beretta finally got the performance takedown lever in stock.
I snatched up 2 straight away(2 min after i got the email).

0404221950a.jpg

So its essentially 2 gas pedals.
Slide stop and take down.
The 92x performance and ive wanted them ever since shooting one.
Also got the straight trigger from beretta to replace the wilson short reach.

Last piece is a magwell and im eyeing a new red dot.
IMG_20220404_201216.jpg

Also snagged a lil axe/hatchet and a damascus knife.
0404222004.jpg

And hipefully this week, a new arrival is coming to the collection.
Ive been eyeballing it for the better part of a year.
Magically one showed up used at a youtubers shop i watch.

Back
Top Bottom