My Garand from the CMP

First a little background: One of my first shooting memories is at a CMP event(Then known as the DCM) with my Grandfather. He was a prominent figure in my life up until his death shortly after Christmas of last year. He was a WWII veteran who didn't talk much about his service, but I did get to learn quite a bit about it when I went back home for his funeral. It is because of him, and my father that I have such an interest in firearms. My grandfather owned many firearms, including a Garand or three. I figured it was high time I finally get my own so I placed an Order with the CMP for as Service Grade and here it is, a Springfield Armory Garand born in February of 1943 (Serial #: 1,37X,XXX), rebarreled in '52.:

IMG_2155.jpg IMG_2174.jpgIMG_2182.jpg

Only complaint: IMG_2171.jpg
Not that big of deal, I can order a new one for $7 from the CMP and I was going to order a sling, some Enbloc's and probably another can of ammo anyway..

Anyone know what this mark is on the stock behind the trigger guard is:
IMG_2184.jpgIMG_2183.jpg

I haven't taken it apart yet to clean it, so I haven't fired it. But I have a can of HXP just waiting to be shot. I'm pretty happy, I can't wait to clean it up. I may even try to work out some of the dings in the wood as the right side near the receiver is pretty banged up. I'm told multiple steam treatments can help with removing or at least reduce the depth of dings and dents in the wood. I may not bother though, as old as it is it probably earned every single one of them.

Last edited:
Great story and rifle. Congrats on the score!

The "p" with no circle usually indicates a depot replacement stock. It's a fine looking stock.

Anything electro penciled on the receiver legs?

If you email that rusty front sight pic to cmp customer service I'm sure they will give up another one.

If you email that rusty front sight pic to cmp customer service I'm sure they will give up another one.

I just did this morning. After trying to remove it last night, and noticing the screw was pretty rusted as well I decided to e-mail them. It took 3 treatments of penetrating oil and waiting overnight to get the dang thing off. I've already received a reply back saying a new sight and screw was on the way. The customer service person forwarded it straight to their Lead Armorer (Phil), and he responded back personally. The CMP folks are a class act all the way.

Look for a cartouche on the left side of stock at rear of receiver .

I gave it the once over when I first got it but could not find anything. Today the light hit it just right, I'm not sure If it is actually a cartouche or an imprint from something it got left leaning up against. I included the screw from the front sight as a size reference:

IMG_2188.jpgIMG_2191.jpgIMG_2193.jpgIMG_2196.jpg

Those are the drawing numbers on the receiver and are correct for your serial range. IIRC the diamond is a marking for the type of steel. I have no idea what the" S B D"(?) mark means. No idea on that marking on the stock. Just looks like a "ding" to me but I'm not an expert by any means.

Let us know how she shoots :D

That rust does not look like old rust. Rather itclooks like solvent or a poor dunk in the anti corrosion tank when cleaning parts. Funny the front sight screw on all 6 of my cmp garands where iether loose or stupid tight. 4 for loose 2 for tight. Matters not much as you will zero your rifle.........right.

The "P" is a firing proof mark. The stock looks to be a post war rebuild and the ding you have is not a cartouche mark, but a ding from something. You do have a national match op-rod. It looks like a nice shooter.

Thanks for the notta-cartouche info. I figured it was not one, but thought to post a pic to make sure.

Back
Top Bottom