My first time shooting out to 1000 yards update scope issue resolved see post 66

The best teacher is experience.

Prone and F-class 3x600 matches are an excellent opportunity to learn to read mirage and wind. Lucky for us there are TONS of these matches every year in New England. Several of the ranges are using electronic targets that give accurate instant feedback. No guessing where you hit a plate. Shots are displayed on a tablet right next to you.

Some ranges won’t allow rifles with muzzle brakes, which is just stupid, but I know PRS rifles are welcome at Reading and Scarborough. Hopefully someone will be posting the combined schedule in the Rifle Competition sticky.

Whelp - I think I am going to give the world of PRS a go

Going to do it Joe's way though :)

Have some Tax Escrow money that I didn't need to spend this year

Have this on order in 6.5 Creedmoor and should be at the dealer in the next week or two:

1581967020903.png

After that need to find a decent scope
IIRC the Gen2 Razr scoped by Vortex are a popular choice

For someone just starting out from scratch it can be this easy:

Buy a Ruger RPR or equivalent in 6.5 Creedmoor

Put a first focal plane, tactical turreted scope in the $1000 range on it

Buy some Hornady or other match quality ammo

Install a ballistics app on your phone. Preferable not a free version

Zero your rifle and scope at 100yds

Enter muzzle velocity, BC, etc into your new ballistic app

Go shoot the longest range you can find using your new rifle, ammo, and app.

It’s that easy.
Okay Dave, I did steps one and three today. Working on step 2 now. Told the wife it was at your professional legal advice. Not sure she believes me.

Whelp - I think I am going to give the world of PRS a go

Going to do it Joe's way though :)

Have some Tax Escrow money that I didn't need to spend this year

Have this on order in 6.5 Creedmoor and should be at the dealer in the next week or two:

View attachment 332446

After that need to find a decent scope
IIRC the Gen2 Razr scoped by Vortex are a popular choice

Savage makes some nice off the shelf rifles.

The Gen2 Rzr is an excellent choice and will serve you for years to come. There are some technically “better” scopes, but the Rzr will do everything those scopes will do for a better value.

So an update with another data point on the scope I was using on the .308 In my opening saga. I had done the ladder test with the scope on the .308 twice. and got the same result both times. As an example at 100 yards adding 20” of elevation gave either 21.25” or 21.5” change in impact. So correct adjustment was either 74 or 75 clicks of elevation instead of eighty depending on the test.

So Tuesday I was at the 100 yard range with the exact same model scope, but this time on a 6.5 Creedmoor. Another Remington 700, but a different stock, different base, and different style and height scope rings. There was no wind and I was shooting well so I repeated the ladder test.

Starting at 100 yards zero, took one shot. Added 20 elevation, took one shot. Reset elevation to zero, took one shot, added 20” elevation took a fourth shot.

I got the exact results as with the other scope. 20” of elevation gave same 21.25” change in point of impact. It was so consistent I did not bother checking 30” or 40” of elevation. Pictures are below of scope box and latest target.
231A6435-505C-4F19-B6D0-4941745BE0C7.jpegBE225E89-45D9-4FE1-BA87-D93F2102FE4C.jpeg0B49A0BF-E66E-4AD3-AAC1-3C887B0EEF24.jpeg2F416AE3-8AC6-477B-8E8E-44A76D0D9CEE.jpeg

So I finally figured out the issue I was having with my scope ( post 4 and again post 65 with a second scope.). Both had issues where a 10” elevation adjustment gave a 10.5 inch change of impact. To recap in post four I had to reduce the dial ups from my ballistic programs by .0479 percent to get hits at longer distances when you are dialing up 30 to 40 inches of elevation

Turns out the problem was the nut behind the gun. I was reading an articles on mils versus inches and I came across the statement we have all seen that while at 100 yards one moa is approximately one inch it is precisely 1.047

Of course that number .047 jumped out at me, and yes it was that simple and that stupid. Grabbed the scope box and manual, and for these scopes while the reticle increments are in mils, the elevation and windage adjustments are not 1/4 inch they are 1/4 moa.

So the solution is simple. I went to my ballistic program which was set up to show me both mils and inches. A little searching and sure enough I could change the units to mils and moa. Deus ex machina and all is right with the world.

So I finally figured out the issue I was having with my scope ( post 4 and again post 65 with a second scope.). Both had issues where a 10” elevation adjustment gave a 10.5 inch change of impact. To recap in post four I had to reduce the dial ups from my ballistic programs by .0479 percent to get hits at longer distances when you are dialing up 30 to 40 inches of elevation

Turns out the problem was the nut behind the gun. I was reading an articles on mils versus inches and I came across the statement we have all seen that while at 100 yards one moa is approximately one inch it is precisely 1.047

Of course that number .047 jumped out at me, and yes it was that simple and that stupid. Grabbed the scope box and manual, and for these scopes while the reticle increments are in mils, the elevation and windage adjustments are not 1/4 inch they are 1/4 moa.

So the solution is simple. I went to my ballistic program which was set up to show me both mils and inches. A little searching and sure enough I could change the units to mils and moa. Deus ex machina and all is right with the world.
sometimes you just have to "learn" your scope.
Being 1" off with 20 moa adjusted is not "terrible" for a lot of scopes out there.
You at least took the time to see what your scope was doing mechanically and eventually figured it out. The mil/MOA combo scopes can toss in a variable that can mess things up a little.

Back
Top Bottom