My first time shooting out to 1000 yards update scope issue resolved see post 66

Thanks to both @Dave Marshall and @northny for your answers. I thought it a bit odd that horizontal adjustment was dead on both vertical was off by 5%.

"They" say (they being the conventional wisdom of those who have been there) that you should tweak your velocity to match your DOPE out to 400 or so, and then tweak your BC for ranges beyond.

I've got a Sig Kilo 2400ABS and it offers the feature of truing drop (they call it calibrating) to match DOPE. I don't know whether that will tweak the velocity or BC or both as I haven't even been in that menu. I pulled the bullet profile from the AB Library which will pull AB's Doppler calculated BC and not just the published BC. I could instead manually enter the profile which will then allow me to adjust BC.

BTW I'm running a .338 Lapua Magnum and according to ballistic tables it shouldn't go subsonic until almost a mile. The day before I picked up the 2400ABS, I downloaded the app and entered my profile. The distributor I bought from has a private range with steel out to 1,680 yards. I synched the profile and made a first round hit at 906. :)

After that I pretty much just scared his plates. :rolleyes:

Most apps have a feature that will true the velocity, which to me is the best way to do it. To tweak the values manually is tedious and too easy to screw up.

The Sig Kilo 2400 has the ability to use those custom Applied Ballistics curves. Those are right on the money, but they cost quite a bit for access to the software and data. It’s what I use, but it’s not necessary.

I'm still a member and I'm not giving up. I'd just like to hear some good news in regards to the ranges. They recently had to close off another section of where we could shoot. I've not been able to make it there lately and if I do I'm not even sure of where I can shoot from.

Shoot them an email. They’re generally very responsive.

For someone just starting out from scratch it can be this easy:

Buy a Ruger RPR or equivalent in 6.5 Creedmoor

Put a first focal plane, tactical turreted scope in the $1000 range on it

Buy some Hornady or other match quality ammo

Install a ballistics app on your phone. Preferable not a free version

Zero your rifle and scope at 100yds

Enter muzzle velocity, BC, etc into your new ballistic app

Go shoot the longest range you can find using your new rifle, ammo, and app.

It’s that easy.

I plan to before I head out there since it's a pretty good drive from where I'm at.

Please post or send a PM. I'm fairly certain the wider, straight ahead section for firing points A (100 yards) through E (348 yds) is all that's open besides the pistol pits. Position to the left F (302 yds) to M (502 yds) may be what's closed but I don't know for sure. I may be speaking out of line and of course don't represent the club's view, but shutting down F - M has to be pure vindictiveness on the town's part. There's almost zero impact on the land for those positions. If you come in cold and don't know the positions of the targets, it's not easy to find them.

A general comment for 1,000 yard ranges like Granby: The local libtards hear 1,000 yard range and think that their little hamlet will be overrun with Rambo clones. The reality is that few have the equipment and skill to do it and the numbers who are qualified by the club are limited. Furthermore, nobody is wasting rounds doing stupid stuff at such a range. Ultimately, rounds dropping at those distances have lost a lot of energy and are coming in at a significantly downward angle. Safety risk for surrounding areas is nil.

Ultimately, rounds dropping at those distances have lost a lot of energy and are coming in at a significantly downward angle. Safety risk for surrounding areas is nil.
Not to them. We're all snipers in training. They live in a fabricated world of fear and it wouldn't surprise me if they're receiving some form of compensation for restricting the clubs ability to function as a successful business in the hopes the club will shut down. When we were shooting from the elevated range the targets were basically all below so the chance of something going wrong was basically nil. If I remember correctly when there was a 1000yd range being considered in Winchester, NH Derek had posted that at one of the meetings someone showed a film of cyclists on a track being picked off by rifle fire. They work on creating hysteria among the masses even though to my knowledge there have been only 2 times I can recollect anything close in history and that was the clock tower in Texas in the 60's which was at a fairly long distance and what was referred to as the DC snipers but they weren't really shooting at long range. Any other shootings with rifles were at much closer range.

The Sig Kilo 2400 has the ability to use those custom Applied Ballistics curves. Those are right on the money, but they cost quite a bit for access to the software and data. It’s what I use, but it’s not necessary.

So the custom drag models that AP uses, are those then taking into account mathematically the change in BC that happen as velocity decreases?

So the custom drag models that AP uses, are those then taking into account mathematically the change in BC that happen as velocity decreases?

I’m not sure how AB caclutates the BC. What I do know is that AB has fired those exact bullets and developed a custom drag model using Doppler radar. When you’re using the Sig Kilo 2400, or the Kestrel Elite you are paying for all the testing they did to develop those drag models. I would assume the ballistic equation is different using those drag models vs a standard BC value.

Applied Ballistics actually has a new traveling Doppler radar setup they send to big events. If you’re willing to pay, they will give you a custom drag model for your rifle and ammo on the spot.

It’s that easy.

this. Or take Sig’s reaching 1000 class and do it in a day

man, if i could only SEE a target out at 1000 yards, i would be happy

We all need some type of aid to see that far with clarity. Just.think about that, its nearly 3/4 mile. Other than maybe some birds, what else can see that far?

Dont let that hold you back if its slmething you want to do.

Last edited:
Great write up man, I've really wanted to try my hand at those distances but it is very intimidating. Its interesting to see you used a .308 out that far as generally my readings say it's a challenge, one of the big reasons I picked up a R700 in .300WM. it does have a good brake on it so it's not bad to shoot at all. Hopefully I can get out this year. Thank you for the write up!

man, if i could only SEE a target out at 1000 yards, i would be happy

24X or 25X optics are the norm. That said, unless the range is flat and wide open like a desert it does take some effort to locate the plates set at these distances

Great write up man, I've really wanted to try my hand at those distances but it is very intimidating. Its interesting to see you used a .308 out that far as generally my readings say it's a challenge, one of the big reasons I picked up a R700 in .300WM. it does have a good brake on it so it's not bad to shoot at all. Hopefully I can get out this year. Thank you for the write up!

300WM will be great at these distances. Recoil becomes more of an issue for competitions, so no worries if you simply want to build the skill set and shoot. OP has developed a solid 1,000 yard performing load in .308 via an extra low drag projectile and the right load that remains supersonic at 1,000 with a little room to spare.

I do have a good rifle to try, .338 win mag. I got it in case i had a good shot of an elk across a valley or arroyo. I only have a 11x scope though

That was a great write up. Thanks for taking us on your journey. I may have missed it, but did you give your load recipe?

I really need to build up my rifle skills this year. I’ll add that to the list of other goals for 2020!

I do have a good rifle to try, .338 win mag. I got it in case i had a good shot of an elk across a valley or arroyo. I only have a 11x scope though

That is a lot of energy to be putting on steel plates. Most ranges won’t want you firing a .338WM at their steel any closer than 4-500 yards or so. Probably the same for .300WM.

That is a lot of energy to be putting on steel plates. Most ranges won’t want you firing a .338WM at their steel any closer than 4-500 yards or so. Probably the same for .300WM.
Granby used to allow 50BMG and .338 Lapua at longer distances but stopped because people were shooting at the closer plates and also using the wrong ammo which was destroying the plates so they limited it to no more than 300WM.

FYI, looks like you can go well beyond 1000 here:

Ridgeline is not open to the public or for memberships. It’s a training facility. To use the range you’d need to attend a class. There are two 1000yd+ ranges in Littleton that I think abut each other. I believe Ridgline’s facility combined what was once a smaller gun club with some of Team O’Neil’s property. They are good folks, and know their stuff for sure. The other range is Alderbrook Sportsman’s Club.

www.ridgelineshooting.com

www.alderbrooksportsmensassoc.com/

The only range that is open to the public for hourly rental is Sheepdog Warrior in Catskill, NY. They will be part of the MMPRL next season. It’s a very nice facility with reasonable rentals rates. It’s about a 3 hour drive from Metro Boston. If you’re just looking to try out long range shooting, it’s a great option. They have targets from 100-1000yards with a nice covered shooting area with benches, and the rates are quite reasonable. They also had the ability to shoot to 1 mile, but I’m not sure if that is still an option.

www.sheepdogwarrior.com

It’s that easy.

That's pretty much exactly what I did, except I went with a bit nicer scope.
But, if you enjoy the hobby of reloading, you will certainly get more personal enjoyment/satisfaction out of doing it yourself with less than ideal rifle/caliber/etc.

Sometimes the goal is to just hit something far away, and sometimes it's a journey of learning...

If you don’t have a chronograph, you can use the ammo manufacturers velocity. Even then, most chronographs are not necessarily giving you the true velocity. However, they are very useful for measuring consistency.

Most good ballistic calculator apps have a truing function. All apps use an equation to mathematically calculate the bullet’s trajectory arc. Anytime a value in the equation is not exact, the curve of the arc will be wrong. The way the apps correct this is by truing the velocity value. You input the amount of error at several ranges along the arc and the app will manipulate the velocity so that the arc will pass thru all the given points (ranges). Depending on what app you use, there are most likely YouTube videos explaining how to use all the app functions.

Most ballistic apps also have a function for retrieving local weather data and incorporating it into the firing solution.

The Gold Standard for ballistic calculators and apps is the Kestrel 5700 Elite device. It is a hand held weather meter and has on board advanced ballistics software. It runs about $800. It IS NOT necessary for making hits on steel, but it is very accurate and convenient.
If your app doesn't have a truing function and you only have data from 100-200-300 yards, you can adjust the velocity and BC manually to true the app based on the limited data you do have. It works just like having a built in truing function.

It’s that easy.
That might get you to the berm. Add some wind and you might be a few feet off.

That might get you to the berm. Add some wind and you might be a few feet off.
If you’re doing this right, it’ll get you really damn close vertically and provide some pretty solid try-dope for wind as well. But if you’re not reading the wind right, no calculator or data card is gonna help you. The ballistic apps have come a long way in the last few years. Still can’t account for bad reads though.

If you’re doing this right, it’ll get you really damn close vertically and provide some pretty solid try-dope for wind as well. But if you’re not reading the wind right, no calculator or data card is gonna help you. The ballistic apps have come a long way in the last few years. Still can’t account for bad reads though.
Reading the wind is the most challenging part. But what you describe will get any noob on the berm. They can learn to read the wind from there.

Back
Top Bottom