• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

My first m1

We'll tonight I took the plunge. I picked up a rack grade m1 from a member here. The price was right. It's a Springfield receiver dated around November 1943. Has a H&R barrell on it. Seller described the wood as "god awful" it's full of dings and dents and wear. I like to think its because the stock some some real service. All the metal appears to have been reparkerized and is in very good shape.

She passed tilt test one, but as I had to head back to work I only had limited time with her tonight. I plan on detail stripping her tomorrow or Thursday and giving her a thorough cleaning. Saturday it's off to the range.

Crappy cell phone pics

View attachment 55543
View attachment 55544
View attachment 55545

that looks darn good for a rack grade! usually rackers are several different colors wood and metal included. The stock looks good for a racker also. I recommend the spring kits here. G98a, Spring Kit or this one. It has the parts most common to fail. G98a, Spring Kit If your going to be detail stripping might as well add fresh springs while in there.

that looks darn good for a rack grade! usually rackers are several different colors wood and metal included. The stock looks good for a racker also. I recommend the spring kits here. G98a, Spring Kit or this one. It has the parts most common to fail. G98a, Spring Kit If your going to be detail stripping might as well add fresh springs while in there.

I was going to look into this. When I pulled it apart last night, I think the op rod spring was in 2 pieces. I didn't really have a lot of time to look into it as I had to go back to work. It didn't appear to be broken, but when I removed the spring, there was like a 4 inch piece and and much longer piece.

I just ordered the rebuild kit and the new owner accessory kit as well, with the manual sling, etc..

Yeah I'd say she's nicer than a rack grade. Welcome to the M1 club. Get that op rod spring replaced, grease her up and you should be good to go.

Yeah I'd say she's nicer than a rack grade. Welcome to the M1 club. Get that op rod spring replaced, grease her up and you should be good to go.

Thanks I ordered the Kit as mentioned above plus the owners manual. The seller listed it as "god awful" I thought the wood was bead, but better than I expected. Its fairly dinged up and banged around, but she's an m1 and i have perma smile.

The spot on the right side of the butt stock is interesting. Do you know what it is? It looks almost like a rack number or something was sanded off and the area refinished. Or maybe its a repair?

The pictures are crapy, if something was sanded down they did a hacked job, to me it looks like it was scraped against something, and then sort of finished over it.

I looked at the wts classified pics of this rifle. The arsenal reparked metal is in really nice shape. That stock, given some tlc, could clean up nicely.

I looked at the wts classified pics of this rifle. The arsenal reparked metal is in really nice shape. That stock, given some tlc, could clean up nicely.

The pics in the ad are better than my cell phone pics. I need to get better about pulling my camera out for real pics. The metal is in fine shape, I thought the wood would clean up we'll buy it gives it character too

Back
Top Bottom