• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

My first handloads (223 Rem with 69 gr BTHP)

Despite a few decades of shooting and 6 years of saving my brass (thanks Hillary Clinton for convincing me), I finally got into hand loading. The main reason is to learn and be able to develop a load for our 600 - 1000 yard range. My plan is to reload for one of my 223 rifles (Ruger American Predator with 22" barrel) and my Howa - KRG Bravo in 308. Since large rifle primers are unobtainium, the decision to load 223 was made for me! I acquired a rock chucker supreme kit for ~$280 and a bunch of other tools such as dies from local shop (Mace Sports, Mebane NC). I'm still waiting on a Hornady headspace comparator kit which should be helpful to figure out how much shoulder bump is required, assuming I continue to use the FL dies.

My first load was 223 rem with the following:
-mixed once-fired brass, full length sized and trimmed to 1.760", de-crimped, etc
-CCI #400 primers
-Sierra matchking 69gr BTHP
-Varget powder, charges were 23.5, 24.0, 24.5 and 25.0 grains - Lyman manual lists 26 grains as max charge
-COAL 2.260" - barely fits in STANAG magazine

Today I took the Ruger predator to 100 yard range and was absolutely astounded by the performance. Prior to my handload groups I shot factory Federal GMM (which has the same bullet) that grouped at 0.7" (4 shots). At the end I shot WWB 55 gr FMJ which performed surprisingly well with 1.4" 5-shot group. My handloads were all 5 shot groups and measured from 0.5 - 0.7". Powder charge seemed to have minimal effect on group size. The rifle is wearing a Vortex Viper gen 1 2-10x FFP and a YHM Turbo K. Thankfully my first handloads neither blew off my face or destroyed my YHM can. Unfortunately I have no idea on velocity because I still don't have a chronograph!

View attachment 626694View attachment 626695

View attachment 626702View attachment 626701

View attachment 626697View attachment 626698View attachment 626699View attachment 626700

Some questions for the rifle handloaders out there:

1. Primer cratering. My primers showed some cratering (see photo) but I observed no other signs of over-pressure and it didn't seem to much correlate with charge weight. It seems some make a big deal of primer cratering and others claim they've seen it for decades without any issues. Does this mean anything to you?

2. Neck sizing. A few guys at my range suggested I switch to neck sizing (instead of full length sizing) to facilitate brass life. Since I'm really only loading for the ruger american 223 rifle it seems like a reasonable proposition to switch to neck sizing. Legit?

3. Chronograph. I need one. My plan was to hold out for a LabRadar but I since they're nowhere to be found I'll go ahead a buy a regular chrono. The caldwell one is available for $100. I used a magnetospeed once (courtesy of a member at Westwood) and was impressed by it. However I want to chrono with suppressor attached which would require the fancy magnetospeed model (not the sport) which is something like $380. For that cost again I'd rather shell out an extra $200 and get a LabRadar.

4. Powders. I have a few lbs of varget but I'm wondering what powders you guys like for 223 and 308. The popular ones all seem impossible to find. There are powders with faster burn rates available such as IMR4198 and some oddballs like Ramshot TAC. Should I muck around with those or just hold off for good stuff like IMR4064, reloader-15, varget, etc.

Appreciate whatever other reloading advice might be shared.
Thanks in advance.
Stop listening to whoever told you to only neck size.

Good shooting.

Despite a few decades of shooting and 6 years of saving my brass (thanks Hillary Clinton for convincing me), I finally got into hand loading. The main reason is to learn and be able to develop a load for our 600 - 1000 yard range. My plan is to reload for one of my 223 rifles (Ruger American Predator with 22" barrel) and my Howa - KRG Bravo in 308. Since large rifle primers are unobtainium, the decision to load 223 was made for me! I acquired a rock chucker supreme kit for ~$280 and a bunch of other tools such as dies from local shop (Mace Sports, Mebane NC). I'm still waiting on a Hornady headspace comparator kit which should be helpful to figure out how much shoulder bump is required, assuming I continue to use the FL dies.

My first load was 223 rem with the following:
-mixed once-fired brass, full length sized and trimmed to 1.755”, de-crimped, etc
-CCI #400 primers
-Sierra matchking 69gr BTHP
-Varget powder, charges were 23.5, 24.0, 24.5 and 25.0 grains - Lyman manual lists 26 grains as max charge
-COAL 2.260" - barely fits in STANAG magazine

Today I took the Ruger predator to 100 yard range and was absolutely astounded by the performance. Prior to my handload groups I shot factory Federal GMM (which has the same bullet) that grouped at 0.7" (4 shots). At the end I shot WWB 55 gr FMJ which performed surprisingly well with 1.4" 5-shot group. My handloads were all 5 shot groups and measured from 0.5 - 0.7". Powder charge seemed to have minimal effect on group size. The rifle is wearing a Vortex Viper gen 1 2-10x FFP and a YHM Turbo K. Thankfully my first handloads neither blew off my face or destroyed my YHM can. Unfortunately I have no idea on velocity because I still don't have a chronograph!

View attachment 626694View attachment 626695

View attachment 626702View attachment 626701

View attachment 626697View attachment 626698View attachment 626699View attachment 626700

Some questions for the rifle handloaders out there:

1. Primer cratering. My primers showed some cratering (see photo) but I observed no other signs of over-pressure and it didn't seem to much correlate with charge weight. It seems some make a big deal of primer cratering and others claim they've seen it for decades without any issues. Does this mean anything to you?

2. Neck sizing. A few guys at my range suggested I switch to neck sizing (instead of full length sizing) to facilitate brass life. Since I'm really only loading for the ruger american 223 rifle it seems like a reasonable proposition to switch to neck sizing. Legit?

3. Chronograph. I need one. My plan was to hold out for a LabRadar but I since they're nowhere to be found I'll go ahead a buy a regular chrono. The caldwell one is available for $100. I used a magnetospeed once (courtesy of a member at Westwood) and was impressed by it. However I want to chrono with suppressor attached which would require the fancy magnetospeed model (not the sport) which is something like $380. For that cost again I'd rather shell out an extra $200 and get a LabRadar.

4. Powders. I have a few lbs of varget but I'm wondering what powders you guys like for 223 and 308. The popular ones all seem impossible to find. There are powders with faster burn rates available such as IMR4198 and some oddballs like Ramshot TAC. Should I muck around with those or just hold off for good stuff like IMR4064, reloader-15, varget, etc.

Appreciate whatever other reloading advice might be shared.
Thanks in advance.
Right now with the inconsistent supply if powders you can try what ever you can find.
22” bolt gun 22 & 30 cal you have a pretty wide window of powders from slow to fast.

Bullet choices are seeming endless endless also.

The bulk 55s can be darn good for accurate plinking. Factory bulk ammo is just good enough to go bang and be “safe” it can be very inconsistent in fps

Cratering primers: My first guess since your loads are not “hot” is maybe just the bolt has a sloppy hole on its face.?

Its all fun and you will find what you and your rifle likes.

When you do buy as much of the same lot number of bullets/powder/primers you can

As for 223
My 18” bull barrel AR 1.8 twist shoots 80 grain noslers to sub moa when I can pull it off.
77s Is what I use for service rifle across the corse because they are what I have so much of
I use 69s for practice at 200 yards and cmp games.
Although since I have not been shooting much I been digging into my M193 stash for 200 yard matches. No ammo is going to improve my rusty fingers and blurry eyes.

A crony is nice to have so when you find a load you know what its doing.
Makes it a bit easier on any calculations you might need to do.

223 im 100% shooting out of the AR I run H4895, Varget, 8208 and that usually depends on availability and price.
308 jeez I use all sorts of powders cause I run from light cast gallery loads at about 750fps to 168 2650 fps and everything inbetween.

Have fun

I was loading up some stuff this morning for Perry and thought I'd take a picture to illustrate the differences in length and shape between the common bullets.
L to R: Sierra 69, Sierra 77, Nosler 80, Berger 82.
20220621_102319.jpg

And I also thought I'd throw in an illustration as to why the 80 grain+ bullets aren't meant for use through an AR mag.
L to R: a Nosler 77 seated to mag length (2.25"), Nosler 80, Nosler 77 20220621_094337.jpg

Back
Top Bottom