• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

My First Firearm :)

SnakeEye

Banned
YAY,
went up to four seasons this afternoon and picked myself up the most left hand friendly semiauto i could, the S&W99, (i wanted a pure German Walther P99 but wha can you do)
it was a demo model with the S&W sales team, theres almost no wear whatsoever on the slide rails and the barrell looks like its never been fired.
Single or Double action, decocker, chambered round indicator,ambi mag release..
I was going to go glock ,but the lack of a decocker/loaded indicator combined with this being my first Pistol kind of made me lean twords the side of caution.
Sorry for the blurry images,my cameras focus hasnt worked so well since it went for a quick dip in a friends pool last summer :p
991.jpg

99.jpg

cant wait to hit the range with it!

WAY TO GO!!

I have the Walther P99 and I absolutely LOVE my gun!

Congrats.

Adam

PS. In the first picture, looks like there are some red snap caps there.. If so, they look like the Traditions brand. I have the same ones, and after a few times of use, I found that mine got little wear marks on the rim of the case. It got to the point where they the extractor would not pull the rounds from the chamber, and you will have to use a cleaning rod (not the plastic one that came with the pistol) to tap them out from the muzzle end. Your pistol is completely safe to dry fire without the use of snap caps, so now I just skip using them.

Adam_MA said:
WAY TO GO!!

I have the Walther P99 and I absolutely LOVE my gun!

Congrats.

Adam

PS. In the first picture, looks like there are some red snap caps there.. If so, they look like the Traditions brand. I have the same ones, and after a few times of use, I found that mine got little wear marks on the rim of the case. It got to the point where they the extractor would not pull the rounds from the chamber, and you will have to use a cleaning rod (not the plastic one that came with the pistol) to tap them out from the muzzle end. Your pistol is completely safe to dry fire without the use of snap caps, so now I just skip using them.

you called it,traditions :)
yea i noticed that the brass digs into the plastic housing of the round before it when inserting it into the magazine, i would imagine it wouldnt take long before a pronounced groove forms and causes an issue not unlike the one you describe.

one question, as i bought no ammo, only snap caps to get comfortable with the operation.
Is depressing the decocker with a round chambered the same as pulling the trigger? or is their some kind of disconnect as i would imagine/hope there would be?

SnakeEye said:
[one question, as i bought no ammo, only snap caps to get comfortable with the operation.
Is depressing the decocker with a round chambered the same as pulling the trigger? or is their some kind of disconnect as i would imagine/hope there would be?

Depressing the decocker is not at all like pulling the trigger. With either a P99 or SW99 with the AS trigger configuration (da/sa) when you insert a full magazine into the gun with the slide locked back, pressing the slide stop will chamber a round from the magazine. Your gun will then be in single action mode. You can tell this by pulling the trigger lightly. the trigger when pulled lightly will snap back to the rear trigger position. A small pull of the trigger in this mode will fire the gun. Once a round is chambered to remove the firearm from single action mode, and put it into double action mode pressing the decocker will do just what it says. It will decock the striker, and make the trigger pull for the first round fired a full constant trigger pull (similar to a glock) the trigger will have to be pulled all the way back, in effect cocking the internal striker and releasing it.

When I load my P99 I manually put one round in the chamber, and release the slide. I press the decocker, putting the gun into full double action mode (the safe way to carry the weapon) and then insert a fully loaded magazine into the mag well. That gives me the full capacity of 11 rounds to carry the weapon.

The P99 and SW99 are almost exactly the same weapon. Other than some styling differences, they are the same. The web page listed below is about the most comprehensive information I have been able to find on the P99 handgun. Please take a look at the information, and if you have any questions please DO NOT hesitate to send me a PM. I will be more than happy to help you out.

Also, for the first time loading this firearm (as with all new to you firearms) DO NOT try to test the functions such as loading, unloading, and decocking functions without being at a range or other place where it will be safe to fire the weapon, and have the muzzle pointed in a safe direction. You don't know what the person before you has done to the gun, and it's better to not take any chances until you are confident it is functioning properly.

Here's the web site
http://www.praxagora.com/lunde/WaltherP99FAQ/index.html

Again do not hesitate to contact me if you have any questions.

Adam

Thank you very much for the information and the link, its inestimably appreciated!
i was looking for something just like that.
The manual is very kurt and doesnt go into the kind of detail i would have liked it to.. Or would have expected. At best, condensed, its only about 5 short paragraphs long..
[shock]

Again do not hesitate to contact me if you have any questions.
absolutely, when it comes to something capable of dishing out the finality that a handgun can, im definetly not too proud to admit when i dont know something and ask. and your offer is greatly appreciate! :)

I cant help but notice that the loaded chamber indicator is not functioning with these snap caps. :?
if the brass is identical to live 9mm ammunition then the indicator i would imagine should be moving?
the red paint is still bright and visible if you manually move the tang in, its just that the tang itself is not moving to expose it.

I'll try mine with both snapcaps & the platic dummy rounds a little later today to see if there is a difference in how far they move the loaded chamber indicator.

CD

As I have heard the S&W99 has a better magazine components than the German made magazine!

I was also planning to get myself a Walther but I will going to get myselft a 1911 first since I already got a revolver and a semi-auto SA.

But a 99 is a dream gun... fact is budget is a bit tight... I presume you only got it for something like 500 to 600 USD? That one cost here like $1000 plus tax!

Thats a very good pistol and eats anything [not finicky]... a friend has one in .40.

hiram_Abiff said:
As I have heard the S&W99 has a better magazine components than the German made magazine!

I was also planning to get myself a Walther but I will going to get myselft a 1911 first since I already got a revolver and a semi-auto SA.

But a 99 is a dream gun... fact is budget is a bit tight... I presume you only got it for something like 500 to 600 USD? That one cost here like $1000 plus tax!
yea it was approx 500usd, only one 10 rd magazine, no tools..its got some minor cosmetic issues now that ive had hours to pour over it, I use to be a quality control manager for a precision machine shop so i tend to be a little anal about these things.. First, the hole for the barrell to pass through the muzzle of the slide isnt deburred,that would never have passed outgoing inspection by me.. and secondly theres a hole for one of the pins just past the take down lever, it looks like the machinist/CNC machine started to drill the hole about .075" off in negative X-Y. so its off at like at a 45deg angle low and left and about .050" deep..Either that or someone really took a hammer to a long metal rod or something trying to press that pin back in and missed going directly into the frame.In whihc case this pistol has been stripped down beyond the standard field stip as the manual clearly states not to do...

Thats a very good pistol and eats anything [not finicky]

yet another reason i didnt get a glock due to the hexagonal bore and its unconventional lands. i dont want to have to pay top dollar for ammunition to go plink targets. someone had told me the same thing either here or on another forum that it would do just as you stated, eat just about anything. [twisted]

I'm looking to pick up my first pistol as well. I've shot a S&W910 and glock 17 in 9mm, how does the 9mm P99 compare to these two? I'm considering the P99, any input on the QA model? And what prices did you generally pay?

Shigma said:
I'm looking to pick up my first pistol as well. I've shot a S&W910 and glock 17 in 9mm, how does the 9mm P99 compare to these two? I'm considering the P99, any input on the QA model? And what prices did you generally pay?

As I understand the QA is a favorite amongst competition shooters... particularly those who shoots for IDPA.

I sent en email to QC at smith-wesson descringing the situation with the loaded chamber indicator and they recomend i return the pistol to them for service.
[cry]

My letter

Good morning,
I purchased a S&W 99 9mm this weekend and had a question i was hoping you could answer.
As this was my first handgun purchase i did not buy any ammunition and only got legends red snap caps so i could spend a week getting comfortable loading, decocking,unloading and otherwise cycling the handgun.
I couldnt help but notice that the Loaded Chamber Indicator is not functioning. The paint is indeed still bright and visible if you move the tang in, but it is otherwise not moving on its own. If snap caps brass are designed to be dimensionally identical to live 9mm ammunition then i would imagine the loaded chamber indicator would work. I was hoping you could perhaps chamber a snap cap in another 99 and let me know if this is normal behavior or indiciative of a potential problem with the indiciator (not that i would EVER rely on it solely anyways).

Thank you for your time,

Their Reply

Hi,
We would suggest checking the indicator just by pulling the trigger. Make sure the
gun is not loaded and there are no rounds in the magazine, then pull the trigger and see
if the spring moves back in this area. If you feel the indicator is not working as it should
we have attached information to return for examination.

Thank you
kf

Dear Sir/Madam:

We have received your e-mail regarding your S&W handgun. You note that there is a problem with your handgun or you are requesting some work to be performed.

We would like you to forward your handgun with a letter describing the problems along with your return address (No P.O. Boxes) and phone number

unless someone can chamber a snap cap and tell me otherwise its going fedex tomorrow.cause i havent got a clue by what this guy menas by pull the trigger with nothing chambered and see if the spring moves, the spring in inside the slide behind the tang.

what must i do to secure the handgun during shipping?
trigger lock?
no key?
do i tell FedEx its a handgun?
i remember going over this briefly with Darius during my pistol training course but that was almost 2 years ago

Woah there...

Sounds like she it talking about the cocked indicator located at the rear of the slide. On the P99 the loaded chamber indicator is nothing more than the rear edge of the extractor, that pokes into the frame when it is on the lip of a cartridge.

You may want to call them and talk to them on the phone.

Adam

I see, then thats the Cocking Indicator shes talking about then ,not the Loader Chamber Indicator as i had stated.
ill have to call S&W tonite when i get home from work tonite. i thought my email was clear,evindently they arent up on the names of the various safety features on their pistols.
I emailed Four seasons about this issue yesterday morning and still havent gotten a response..id just as soon give it back to them and let them deal with it and have myself get another, preferably new 99 somewhere.

Sorry I didn't post back on this yesterday. I loaded up a couple of snap-caps & dummy rounds the other night and the loaded chamber indicator did not seem to move as much with the dummy rounds.(orange plastic dummys)

As Adam said the loaded chamber indicator is the extractor, the end closest to you. When a round is in the chamber and the extractor is engaged on the rim the end closest to you will be slightly recessed into the slide. On a new pistol this should show a small red line that is painted on the slide under the extractor. If it's ever been cleaned with gunscrbber that paint is probably gone.

I'll try to take a picture tonight and post it tonight or tomorrow morning.

The Cocked indicator on the back of the slide, a small metal nub which protrudes towards you when the striker is cocked, is what will move when you pull the trigger.

CD

S&W will make it right and you are better off that way.

You really can't return guns for a refund. The FA-10 form with your name on it for this gun will "live forever", along with the Fed 4473.

Since S&W will pay for return shipping, you are much better off doing the shipping yourself. Put a letter in with the gun, explaining the problems and you will get it back the same way and sooner than bringing it to a gun dealer, having them ship it (hoping that they supply the correct details on what's wrong with it), having them call you when it gets back to them, and then you have to run out to pick it up.

S&W will give you a prepaid label for FedEx with instructions on shipping. NO gun locks, NO securing of gun in barb wire within the package, etc. You just drop it off at a REAL FedEx depot or hand it to a FedEx driver (don't give it to a FedEx Ground driver, however). I've returned 2 guns to S&W a total of 3 times now over the past 5 years and nobody at FedEx said anything more than "you're all set" and took the package.

Only downside is you are likely to find it waiting for you on your doorstep, no signature requested, etc. when they return it to you.

LenS said:
Only downside is you are likely to find it waiting for you on your doorstep, no signature requested, etc. when they return it to you.

then i guess ill use my work address then..im going to be shipping it from there anyways

does a live 9mm have that huge recessed chamfer like these do?
DSC00306.JPG

sure looks like...
9mm.jpg

DSC00302.JPG

DSC00312.JPG

OK...
I just checked it out using one of those same snap caps like you have. The problem seems to be that the snap cap round goes farther into the chamber than a regular round... Therefor the extractor does not get onto the round the same as a real live round. That being said, the loaded chamber indicator does not move into the slide as far as it does with a real live round...

My suggestion. Go to a range, and with the muzzle pointed in a safe direction insert a magazine with at least 2 rounds, release the slide stop and chamber a round. Then you can check to be sure...

I only say to do this at the range, because you never know what condition the firearm is in, and weather or not it will slam-fire.

Then if it still does not work correctly, proceed with the Smith & Wesson return.

Adam

Shigma said:

Don't rule out Ruger or Sig. Too bad Taurus isn't available in MA. Also, Kahr is nice for a compact pistol.

I think you have received some excellent advice. The only thing, I would not ship the gun to S&W for work. I would deliver it myself and pick it up when it is ready. For the record, I have done that, most recently in 2000. There are several benefits to that:

1. You have an excuse not to go to work that day
2. You can visit the S&W National Shooting Center which is nearby
3. You can visit the Springfield Armory

I simply called several days in advance and they knew that I was coming.

Now unless things have changed since 9/11...this is the way to go in my opinion...also while you are there you can share your QC concerns with S&W directly...who knows maybe they can do something to make it right.

Good luck and best wishes,

Mark

mark056 said:
Now unless things have changed since 9/11...this is the way to go in my opinion...also while you are there you can share your QC concerns with S&W directly...

They haven't. I dropped off my 686 in 02 or 03 to get worked on. But I didn't get to talk to any QC folks, just the security folks in the bunker at the gate.

They do have a nice exhibit in the main building of historic S&W firearms, though.

Back
Top Bottom