• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

My first deer

AJK129

NES Member
I bought my first hunting license this Saturday morning before driving up to Maine. Stopped to buy an orange jacket on the way in Kittery.

I spent maybe 3 hours in the woods before getting this 190lb buck.

Hit it right in the lungs from ~50 yards, 6.5 creedmoor

20211106_200057.jpg

Last edited:
Way to go! Definitely jealous. I’ve been hunting in Maine since 2017 and have yet to get a buck. Jumped plenty of does but no bucks.

Where abouts in Maine?

We're you on a youth hunt?

Congratulations man. Couldn't have happened to a better person. I bet you are hooked!
Yeah excited for next year. There was a doe with him I had a shot on too, but I didn't have a tag.

Now I'm waiting for night coyote hunting...

Congrats. Nice buck. But please, next time out, don't wear brown pants. Jack.
Congrats!

Don't expect a replay of that experience........

From your post, (no scouting, just bought a jacket and walked in the woods and sat down) sounds like 100% you just were in the right place at the right time. Meaning it was luck.
You made a good killing shot, so there's that.

Not being a dick, but that is similar to winning the lottery. It won't happen every year like that.....many guys spend years trying to get their first Maine deer with rifle.

Jack,

What is wrong with the brown pants? He's wearing full orange up top....someone would have to be a retard to mistake him for a deer, if that's what you mean. I wear brown duck carhartts all the time gun hunting, I always have some orange on during gun seasons.

Congrats!

Don't expect a replay of that experience........

From your post, (no scouting, just bought a jacket and walked in the woods and sat down) sounds like 100% you just were in the right place at the right time. Meaning it was luck.
You made a good killing shot, so there's that.

Not being a dick, but that is similar to winning the lottery. It won't happen every year like that.....many guys spend years trying to get their first Maine deer with rifle.

Jack,

What is wrong with the brown pants? He's wearing full orange up top....someone would have to be a retard to mistake him for a deer, if that's what you mean. I wear brown duck carhartts all the time gun hunting, I always have some orange on during gun seasons.
Well, that's just me. One time I passed on a deer because what I saw was brown and white. I talked myself into believing that it was a hunter who was wearing brown, had taken off his orange jacket, was taking a dump and was holding a wad of toilet paper. Jack.

Congrats! I had a similar experience when I first started, killed a doe on my first morning in the woods with a bow.

It's far from a typical experience, don't get discouraged if the next ones much harder! You never forget the feeling of having the first one in your sights

I hate you, spent 11 years before I got my first deer. Nice buck congrats
Story of my life

murphys-law-wall-calendar-stitch-hq-683606.jpg

Last edited:
Well, that's just me. One time I passed on a deer because what I saw was brown and white. I talked myself into believing that it was a hunter who was wearing brown, had taken off his orange jacket, was taking a dump and was holding a wad of toilet paper. Jack.
Better safe than sorry.......and some states don't require orange. Honestly I agree if your not going to have orange on all the time you should not wear solid brown. Some guys wear all camo...which at a distance looks like a black or brown blob....so there's that.

Im not a fan of mandatory orange. But I know it's saved a life or two at least......and probably a lot more. I wear at least a hat of orange always no matter where I gun hunt. You just can fix stupid.

Back
Top Bottom