My first carbine

LLF

NES Member
I bought this Ruger PC carbine in 9 mm a few weeks ago from my dealer. I have had a chance to put about 100 rounds through it so far, and I love it!
Once I figured out a few minor quirks the carbine has performed flawlessly. I put a relatively inexpensive Bushnell red dot sight on it and the carbine has proved to be extremely accurate. Not only that but it is just a lot of fun to shoot.
Unfortunately I have not had a chance to shoot the carbine at a distance of more than 50 feet (indoor range only), but I am hoping to try it at longer range this spring when I get up to my buddy's house in NH.
Ruger PC Carbine 19126.jpeg

Nice. If I didn't already have a CZ I'd probably be grabbing one. Then again, there's always room for one more. ;)

100 yards is farthest I will shoot my 9MM. It is tricky with iron sights, (but I love a challenge). Enjoy the Ruger . they are rugged ,( but heavy guns)

I had a chance to put another 200 rounds through the Ruger this weekend. Once I got the red dot zeroed in I was shooting 1.5" groups at 50 feet (max range depth) and I'm not even a very good shooter. I know I should be better but for me that's saying a lot.
Very reliable. Zero failures to feed, failures to extract, jams, misfeeds, etc. And Im shooting crappy 90-grain Sinterfire Greenline ammo in this gun.
Good ergonomics. Convenient safety switch just forward of the trigger, large bolt handle.
"Looks cool". OK one should not buy a gun just for that reason, but I work as a firearms instructor and my students love this gun. They enjoy posing with it as much as shooting it.
Criticisms:
Needs a better bolt lock. The bolt is locked back by pressing up on a metal tab under the lower receiver. Bolt is released by retracting the bolt handle slightly and letting it go forward.
When the carbine was new it was difficult to release the bolt after it had locked back on an empty magazine. I solved this problem by locating a small part inside the magazine well that locks the bolt when the magazine is empty. I oiled and worked this part until it moved more freely. Now the bolt works properly. However, I would like to see a positive external bolt lock & release.
Carbine is heavy. You need strong arms to shoot from a standing position.
Carbine would be even easier to use if the magazine well was inside the pistol grip, like the Beretta Storm.
Finally, and this has nothing to do with Ruger, but as a Boston resident I was forced to get the most "compliant" version available. So my carbine actually has a fixed stock, which is ridiculous. The one "AR" feature is the pistol grip. As much as I resent these restrictions I am grateful to Ruger that they offer the carbine in a number of different variations to comply with these silly rules.

I bought this Ruger PC carbine in 9 mm a few weeks ago from my dealer. I have had a chance to put about 100 rounds through it so far, and I love it!
Once I figured out a few minor quirks the carbine has performed flawlessly. I put a relatively inexpensive Bushnell red dot sight on it and the carbine has proved to be extremely accurate. Not only that but it is just a lot of fun to shoot.
Unfortunately I have not had a chance to shoot the carbine at a distance of more than 50 feet (indoor range only), but I am hoping to try it at longer range this spring when I get up to my buddy's house in NH.
View attachment 330041
The exact name is "Ruger PC9 Chassis". I think it's one of (if not THE) best deals around right now. I think MSRP is $799.
The way it's configured, it's a dream gun. I would buy this but I already have the standard version for almost half the price.

Damn thats cool, i see a pcc in my future, and as cool as the sig looks, im leaning to this one. are there any issues with the folding stock or faux supressor in ma?
Fake can is well, fake. So no problem there. The folding stock is pinned so compliant there as well.

Damn thats cool, i see a pcc in my future, and as cool as the sig looks, im leaning to this one. are there any issues with the folding stock or faux supressor in ma?
The handguard is not meant to be a faux suppressor. It keeps your hands away from the barrel and has M-LOK attachment points on it for accessories.
The stock is not a folding stock. Free state versions have an adjustable stock (forward and back). The stock on my carbine is pinned with a rivet as m_n_x pointed out.

Back
Top Bottom