My first C&R PURCHASE! What cleaner for soaking?

Well Ive got my first C&R Gun in-hand today from todays gun show. A No4 MK1 Lee Enfield. Im in the process of breaking it down and there is some heavy grime and crud on every piece of metal coming off this baby. Ive heard recommendations for soaking the metal parts to work this stuff off and was curious what I should use for a cleaner. Is there something found in the average home I could use, or should I buy a solution specific for this job. Thanks for the Help!

P.S I also have an M44 in the mail on its way, in hooked!!!

Congrats on purchases..... How was the show? I was thinking of heading up to it....

I would say solutions specific to the job would help the most......either way, expect lots of elbow work.

The show was great! I was hoping to find some nice C&R deals like I see online but most dealers are charging a bit more than I was expecting. LOTS of tables full of nice things. Worth the money to get in. 3-4 ammo tables setup also.

Asfar as the simple green, I have some, and am going to give it a try, how long is it safe to soak?

If you can, pick up a gallon jug of WD40 or Break Free CLP. WD should be cheaper and melts away cosmolene while protecting the metal at the same time. Simple Green is water based and you'll need to dry well and then oil inside and out if you use it.

Figured id Post a pic, its nothing special but I like it a lot. The best part was cleaning it up piece by piece! Now I want to find more crud infested guns to spiff up! Im just contemplating refinishing some of the metal parts like the barrel bands. The Finnish is gone and there is a lot of rusty areas that id like to brush and repaint. If it was an all matching Enfield I would leave it alone, but this is kind of a FRANKINGUN when it comes to serials. Took it out to shoot it and realized I need to buy a new Micrometer sight because my only choice is 300 or 600 yards. It was fun shooting regardless! Might just get a no-tap scope mount and go that route....decisions decisions.....
P1010023.jpg

Looks pretty sweet! Now you'll have to get a Mauser or two if you haven't already.

Absolutely, ive been looking for a Mauser, just havnt found "the one" yet. I have an M44 coming in tho and im pretty excited to check it out. I want to get a nice Finna M39 also, im hooked to the C&R stuff now!

Absolutely, ive been looking for a Mauser, just havnt found "the one" yet. I have an M44 coming in tho and im pretty excited to check it out. I want to get a nice Finna M39 also, im hooked to the C&R stuff now!

Its def addicting... The police dept asked why I keep coming in asking for FA10s... hahah

Its def addicting... The police dept asked why I keep coming in asking for FA10s... hahah

None of their f@ckin' business!! [wink]

Obviously don't say that to them but I've been asked the same question before to which I replied: "I have a Massachusetts LTC and a federal collector's license." 'Nuff said. Most folks behind the counter at any given PD won't know what the hell you mean by the federal license anyhow.

To Jdubs: Brake cleaner works wonders for really rock-solid cosmo build-up. Not sure what it'll do to wood but it can't be good so I've always made sure to remove the stock if using it.

Last edited:

Luckily when I went to my PD they pointed to a table with a huge stack of them, I jacked a LOT of them, I know how this C&R thing is going to go so I grabbed a stack. Im super addicted!

To Jdubs: Brake cleaner works wonders for really rock-solid cosmo build-up. Not sure what it'll do to wood but it can't be good so I've always made sure to remove the stock if using it.

Thanks 45, I'll def try that, I have heard that a few places. I hear its also great when repainting guns too! I used simple green, dried everything very well, and wiped everything down with an oily rag. I will most likey go the Break cleaner or WD-40 route next time to keep the water out of the equation!

I use a mixture of mineral spirits, #1 kerosene and some dextrone 3. Also have you tried my home made bore cleaner I gave you at the show?

I use a mixture of mineral spirits, #1 kerosene and some dextrone 3. Also have you tried my home made bore cleaner I gave you at the show?

Hello 50! I have used what you gave me, it worked beautifully. Thank you again! I was just looking for some cheap stuff to poor in a bucket to soak the grime covered parts. I Cherish my little container of red mystery cleaner you gave me, I didnt want to waste any on mass soaking haha is that the recipe you listed? Id love to make a big batch! Thanks again!

P.S The M44 should have shipped today, I cant wait for it to get here!

None of their f@ckin' business!! [wink]

Obviously don't say that to them but I've been asked the same question before to which I replied: "I have a Massachusetts LTC and a federal collector's license." 'Nuff said. Most folks behind the counter at any given PD won't know what the hell you mean by the federal license anyhow.

I told them I have a collectors license and that everyone must be selling stuff for taxes cause I keep finding good deals! ;)

I'm stlll way addicted, I bought a Romanian Tokarev, Nazi P38, Russian M44, M1 Garand, and an M1 Carbine within 4 weeks of getting my C&R license. Beat that! ;)

Hello 50! I have used what you gave me, it worked beautifully. Thank you again! I was just looking for some cheap stuff to poor in a bucket to soak the grime covered parts. I Cherish my little container of red mystery cleaner you gave me, I didnt want to waste any on mass soaking haha is that the recipe you listed? Id love to make a big batch! Thanks again!

P.S The M44 should have shipped today, I cant wait for it to get here!

no that red container is a different mixture, don't use that to clean the outside of your rifle, it has cooper, lead remover in it....you can also substitute the Dextron 3 with WD40 as SKS Ray stated. I have used both and they work great. Buy a bucket at home depot, the one with a cover and make sure you use it in a well ventilated area....like outdoors or near an open window, door.

Back
Top Bottom