• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

My first build, AR-15

slipknot

NES Member
I finally bit the bullet and ordered parts to build a rifle after not finding anything on the rack I liked. I got advice from tsdad and he put up with me and my questions, Thanks Andy!

Already got my Green Mountain barrel yesterday, it is 20" 1-8 twist chrome lined black finish
Today in the mail I got my 2 items from Bravo co. a BCM charge handle and a BCM stock
I picked up an Anderson lower locally, I was going to go with Aero Precision but they were out of stock
should have the rest next week
Aero Precision enhanced upper
Aero Precision enhanced 15" keymod handgaurd
RRA 2 stage trigger for $85
RRA chrome bolt carrier group
YHM compensator
Joe Bobs outfitters lower parts without fire control
Joe Bobs low profile gas block
Spikes gas tube
Also sprung for an Ergo deluxe tactical grip( I thought it would help with my large hands)

Using my Cabelas points for a Leupold mark AR mod 1 scope 3-9 pwr with Mildot along with Nikon mounts

With any luck I will be sending hot lead down range soon enough.

Nice .....be careful you can end up will builditis. I swore I would not build anymore ARs. But having as little as a gas tube roll bin enables.......

My only advice if you have not ordered the scope yet is to try and look through as many as you can.
Really think hard what you are going to do with your rifle.
I only say this because I have grown to dislike the "mil dot" ret. If your not going to do a lot of range estimation and hold overs the ret just gets in the way.

The ergo grip is nice. I don't have "big" hands more like sausage fingers and swollen arthritic fingers from cranking wrenches for 25+ years now. It feels nice and adds a little thickness to the grip as well. I tried many grips and found the ergo fits the bill.

One recomendation if you have big or fatter fingers is the winter trigger guard.
https://www.rockriverarms.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_id=288

Good start and if your a OCSA member should see you there. I have a new build to try out also.

Last edited:
lol, linear comps offer no recoil mitigation. Yes they make it more comfortable for those around you but YOU ARE SHOOTING A GUN. Seriously, linear comps can be useful for SBR's but I would never put one on a 20" bbl. Get a Surefire or VG6 Gamma and be done with it. With the VG6, you can put the CAGE on if the pussy next to you complains about concussion.

I understand the "it's a gun" thing and shooting is load but some brakes are just awful.
If it's providing no recoil management what's the point.
I have a brake of unknown manufacture that's just stupid load and it blasts my hat and gets shit on my lenses. Along with the the folks to the left and right.

I have grown to like ARs with out muzzle devices.
Fine for the folks that are chasing speed shots or something.

Not that it matters much but I have come to the point where if I'm going to add another 2" to a 20" barrel you might as well get a 24" varmint/match barrel and get a little bump in velocity (if there is any to be had?)

Here is my last build. I already went compact and light weight, to full blown tactifool back to basics and now this build.https://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/threads/301686-really-this-is-my-last-AR-build
It's all good....you can sell anything and get close to investment back. I sold a HBAR barrel I picked up at a 10$ loss. To buy the barrel for my last build.

OP the best thing is to have fun doing it....I like messing around with my builds. I recently got around to finally doing a "trigger" job on my beater lower. It was heavy and broke like mud.
I did the 15min trigger job and it's down from almost 6 pounds to just under 4 and it actually had a nice crisp break.

Last edited:
Never mind. [thinking]

Hey Slipknot, ignore these guys. Welcome to NES. Sounds like you are heading in the right direction. People will want to see progress pictures, or at least a final picture I bet.

How did you come up with this list? Just reading up, or did you see something you liked? Cool beans.

FYI, if you sign up ("go green"), you will find some "group buys" and other savings. Enjoy the forum, and stick around.

(Yeah, I know, I need to re-up my green status.)

Last edited:
Thank you everyone
I sent my check for membership out in the mail today
I will decide when the time is needed whether I want to just cap it off or not, I honestly am new at this and did not know you can simply put a cap on.
I ask questions and I search the web and looked over guns at shops , never saw one I liked so figured if Andy can put one together, than he won't mind helping a novice out [grin]
I can handle comments about my choices, no thin skin here
As for the scope, I like that dot, I don't think I will have a problem with it. I know it is a large scope at 12" so that may take some getting used to on the gun but time will tell. I'm confident it will be a good enough tool to help me put holes in paper where I want them. I could sell it or put on another gun down the road too.
I will try to post pictures if I figure out how, it can't be that difficult.

I hope this doesn't become like my fishing lure building years ago, if so I'll go broke. crap

Thank you everyone

I hope this doesn't become like my fishing lure building years ago, if so I'll go broke. crap

You got started? Nice! That email is on the way now, btw.

And yes, you are screwed! Just as bad as plug building!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you everyone
I will decide when the time is needed whether I want to just cap it off or not, I honestly am new at this and did not know you can simply put a cap on.
I ask questions and I search the web and looked over guns at shops , never saw one I liked so figured if Andy can put one together, than he won't mind helping a novice out [grin]
As for the scope, I like that dot, I don't think I will have a problem with it. I know it is a large scope at 12" so that may take some getting used to on the gun but time will tell. I'm confident it will be a good enough tool to help me put holes in paper where I want them. I could sell it or put on another gun down the road too.

Are you a member up at OCSA?
Yes if you want you can put a thread protector on it and,pin weld that. I did that with my 22lr upper.
Or even better silver solder it on? Easier to remove later if needed.
I'm itching to get mine last build out soon.
Andy put to get her some nice rifles....definitely took the equipment out of the equation when shooting. His off hand rifle is a nice build.
Like anything you can go as little as gets the job done or complete wallet draining. Over time you get what you want. Sometimes it just takes time to figure out what you want....
I really like the simple A2 with more muzzle device. Although my eye sight is dwindling so I am moving to more optics based guns... right now I want a target scope like the leupold comp or night force bench rest

Last edited:
Thank you everyone

I believe my nephew runs that scope. Can't go wrong with anything they make. check out this scope mount i am going to try out. VERY light weight. I've read everything from glowing reviews all the way to meh reviews.

20160206_203013.jpg

I finally bit the bullet and ordered parts to build a rifle after not finding anything on the rack I liked. I got advice from tsdad and he put up with me and my questions, Thanks Andy!

One heck of a great entry onto NES slipknot! Nice job. Remember to show us pics of the build. Sounds great!

Tom, that does look SWEET

mac, no I belong to Monument beach club

thanks

got more parts today from Aero and Joe Bobs[grin]

Well when your done your going to have to come up and give it a run at one of the off hand shoots or cmp shoots.

The leupold MK2 IMS mount has been rock solid for my. The current upper it's on took a spill. Another scratch on my poor old vxIII but held zero and didn't pop off.

Last edited:
Welcome to NES my friend. Your parts list is just fine for.what you want to do with it. Your next one (there will be one) we can do something different. Maybe a shorter barrel and single stage trigger.
The OP is a good friend of mine, I had him over my house and had out 5 different rifles with all different purposes. He felt a timney single stage, geisselle two stage and rock river NM trigger. I advised him to go with most of his parts. Let's keep in mind here that he's putting together an ar , if recoil bothers you with one you shouldn't be shooting. I showed him target crowned Krieger and Rock River NM barrels and Fortis and YHM brakes. He picked what he wanted for his gun.
Now if we can get the slacker to make some fishing lures you'll all be in for a treat!

Good luck getting me back to making plugs now Andy, thanks

got everything together now except Rock River stuff = the bolt and trigger
should have those by Tuesday or so

I'd be glad to shoot it up at OC

partial%20parts_zpsbyjvm5ca.jpg

Slipknot...Andy is a bad influence but a great help. He advised me on my first build also. The green mountain barrel(I have the same one) is a great choice. Very accurate and well made. Beware that you will have parts for number 2 on the way before you even get to shooting number 1.

Yep, I have some parts on hand for builds 4,5 AND 6. That's not counting the 80%s

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good luck getting me back to making plugs now Andy, thanks

got everything together now except Rock River stuff = the bolt and trigger
should have those by Tuesday or so

I'd be glad to shoot it up at OC

partial%20parts_zpsbyjvm5ca.jpg

very cool upper and rail!

-Tony

Back
Top Bottom