My first AR15 build

Got the upper back from Zero Hour Arms on sat. Took some pictures of the complete rifle. Still waiting on the BCG, though.

Looks sexy, don't it? [smile]

AR_nobolt_013.jpg

AR_nobolt_006.jpg

AR_nobolt_009.jpg

OUTf***INGSTANDING!!!

I ordered another bolt from a different supplier. They shipped it yesterday, so I should be rockin' 'n' rollin' this weekend, hopefully.

Forgot to take a pic of the blind pin last night, sorry.

Your research has paid off, You are going to have a very well made, beautiful weapon, once completed. I built one with a Rock River Stripped Lower, and a complete carbine kit from Olympic Arms. I learned alot from that first build, and it will always be my favorite gun.

I was told to add 3 things to my Colt when I got it. (the parts a much smaller than the photos)

1) Little "D" shaped poly piece to stick under the rear of the extractor to stiffen the extrator spring. D-FENDER I didn't notice this doing anything, but it is supposed to prevent the extractor from slipping off the rim if a casing is a little tight coming out. Hasn't harmed anything.

741015003.jpg

2) The wedge to stick between the receiver halves to reduce any play. Accu-Wedge I do like this just as z0mbie said, it tightens up the gun.

993150100.jpg

3) A filler for the gap between the grip and the trigger guard. Gapper I had a noticeable gap and would get a sore spot on my finger from the edge of the metal frame. This little piece did the trick. I've since heard of people jamming in a foam earplug with similar results. This little piece just looks like it belongs. Although the Gapper isn't needed if your trigger guard or Grip fill the gap which many newer designs do.

573000004.jpg

On my Colt, I also replaced the screw type front pin with a push style to make takedown easier. Push Button Pivot Pin This is only an issue on the Colts. Makes cleaning easier for me.

923000039.jpg

I use a push button take down pin in all three of my ARs; it makes disasembly a little easier. For a military weapon I think the captive pivot pin is preferable; you can't lose it.

I had some extraction problems and added the little D ring but it didn't make a difference, so I don't use them.

I use a custom grip that fills the gap so I have never tried the "Gapper".

The "Accu Wedge" is a great idea. but only necessary if you have play between the upper and lower. I have yet to have the need for one.

Sorry it took a bit to get these up. Here's some shots of the blind pin. Mind you, these were taken with the macro function on my camera. It's hardly noticeable when you're actually looking at the spot in person.

AR_blindpincomp_004.jpg

AR_blindpincomp_002.jpg

AR_blindpincomp_001.jpg

Thanks, Dave [smile][smile][smile]

So, I got the bolt in the mail today. Just finished cleaning and lubing it and installing it in the rifle. Did a function check, and all seems to be a-ok! Looks like I'm good to go!

[party2]

*edit* Also, I had a bit of trouble figuring out how to take the BCG all the way down based on the book I was using. I did a quick google and found this page which had easy, clear, and concise instructions.

Last edited:
Zombi,
Are you still looking to get a Badger Ordinance Tac-Latch? I have one if you want it. PM me with your address and ill send it out to you. But other than that when you planning on shooting that beast.

-DM-

I already got the tac-latch, I installed it onto the charging handle a few weeks ago. Thanks for the offer, though, very generous!

I might shoot it fri night. Depends on work. If not, either Sat after I get back from the gun show, or Sun. But sometime in the next three days, for sure.

Dude, you have access to a 24 hour range and you're still up half an hour after completing your AR. Why aren't you at the range? [wink]

I take it your going to the Eastern States Gun show? Im hoping to get the extra detail for that show.

Dick - let me know where you are - I'll be going there with my Para. I'll grab you a cup of Joe...

z0mbi - if you don't shoot that rifle right now, I'm bringing my med bag to you for a visit - you're nuts... Apple sauce or injection - your pick [smile]

Well, got back from the range a little while ago. It shot great! I put 100 rounds through it, no issues, and great accuracy! I'm very happy with it. [smile]

Well, got back from the range a little while ago. It shot great! I put 100 rounds through it, no issues, and great accuracy! I'm very happy with it. [smile]

I would not have expected anything less... glad to hear it though.

A couple new shots showing off my newly refinished Flat Dark Earth magazines care of Southridge Arms & Refinishing. Sorry the pics are a little blurry... I was playing with the shutter speed to try to get more light in the pics in my poorly lit room and I've got the caffeine shakes so it didn't work out so well.

AR_tanmag_003.jpg

AR_tanmag_005.jpg

AR_tanmag_004.jpg

Last edited:
I didn't end up going, actually. I couldn't wake up in time on Saturday, and Sunday I had to go to RI.

That sucks, it was a pretty decent show. I ended up spending way to much money. I bought a Sig 229 in .357 sig 600 rnds of 556 and a new Surefire 6P defender and other assorted goodies for my AR.

PS do you know where I can get some mag attachements for stripper clips I bought some stripper clips thinking they came with them.

-DM-

That sucks, it was a pretty decent show. I ended up spending way to much money. I bought a Sig 229 in .357 sig 600 rnds of 556 and a new Surefire 6P defender and other assorted goodies for my AR.

PS do you know where I can get some mag attachements for stripper clips I bought some stripper clips thinking they came with them.
-DM-

Here is a few options
http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/ARR011-3297-1885.html?pcs=ARR011
http://www.deltaforce.com/catalog/magazineholdersandloadingaccessories.html
http://www.bushmaster.com/catalog_parts_magazines_p2.asp#EGSS02

-DM-

I have a box of them left over from the Marines. How many do you want? I can throw some in an envelope and mail them to you if you PM me with your address. No Charge.

Back
Top Bottom