My first AR build.

This is my first AR build that I finished back in Dec. I've been lazy about taking some pics and putting this up. I built it from the ground up. It has a carbine length gas system running through a lo-pro gas block, under a mid-length handguard. The lower came with the cerakote on it. I did the color fill.

DSC00508.jpg

DSC00510.jpg

DSC00509.jpg

DSC00511.jpg

DSC00512.jpg

DSC00513.jpg

DSC00514.jpg

Several of the parts were bought during the frenzy. So I got hosed on a few pieces price wise. Like the $285 stripped lower. [banghead] But at least it came cerakoted... [laugh] Between sales and coupon codes I made out pretty well on several of the other parts. All together she came in at just under $1K for the parts. With the shipping factored in it was ~$1025. Parts wise it could be built now for somewhere around $700-$800. I still haven't picked up a set of BUIS yet. The scope on it is the one that came with my Rem. 700 .223.

The List:

Yankee Hill Machine YHM-110 A3 Upper Receiver

AR-Stoner Barrel 5.56 1/9" Twist 16" Chrome Moly, Phosphate Coated

DPMS 5-1/2" Slipover Flash Hider

Ares Armor BCG Chrome Lined, Phosphate Coated

SAA Charging Handle, Forward Assist, Dust Cover

Yankee Hill Machine Low Profile Gas Block

Yankee Hill Machine Gas Tube

DPMS Steel Barrel Nut, Delta Pack, End Cap

DPMS Single Picatinny Rail Gas Block

Magpul MOE Handguard (mid-length)

ERGO Xtreme Service 6" Picatinny Rails (3)

Magpul XTM Picatinny Rail Cover Panels (3 sets)

Yankee Hill Machine YHM-125 Stripped Lower Receiver

Windham Weaponry LPK & Pistol Grip

UTG Stock, Buffer, Spring & Tube

Ephesian Arms QD End Plate

T6 Aluminum Enhanced Trigger Guard

UTG Accuwedge (just because I hate rattle)

nice what optic?

It's just the scope that came w/ my Rem 700. 4x12x30 I believe they are made by Bushnell

nice, have you dialed in the scope yet?

Not yet. I actually haven't even shot it yet. I've been pissed off that I can't find a range down here longer than 100 yds. I found one that goes out to 200 but it is 2 hrs away. The range I built in my yard only goes out to 50 yds. I think I'm going to break her in today.

Nice job, great color scheme too.

Thanks. I plan on getting a Magpul CTS stock for it in FDE to complete the alternating pattern. With all the corn fields and tall wheat-like grass down here the FDE is actually a very useful color as far as camo goes.

Looks good. Do you have the XTM panels on to make it a larger overall fore end?

Partially for the grip and partially aesthetic. They definitely give it a more solid feel grip wise. I like that they cover the edges of the rails and I think they look better than standard rail covers.

Looks good! Just curious why did you choose that type of flash hider than a traditional flash hider or comp?

Are you going to add a scope mount to bring the scope to 1.4"?

That is where it is at now. Though I will probably end up w/ a red dot and magnifier set up.

DSC00518.jpg

Looks good! Just curious why did you choose that type of flash hider than a traditional flash hider or comp?

I don't like the look of several inches of barrel sticking out past the GB. The slipover covers most of it, makes the rifle look a little shorter and adds weight to the front to help counter recoil. There is quite a difference in feel/balance when you hold it w/ or w/o the FH. Most of the ARs I have fired felt really light especially in the front. It should be a nice flat shooting rifle w/ it on. Since I don't have to pin it here the FH isn't a choice I only get to make once. So I figured what the hell, it's only $17. I'll give it a shot. Worst case scenario I don't like it and it ends up in a Karma here. [smile]

Last edited:
After you finished building, it do you have to register it?

[rofl2] Look at my location brother. There is none of that shit down here. There is no paperwork requirement for builds or personal transfers, not even a bill of sale. Other than the 4473 done on the stripped lower when I bought it in MA, there is no record of this rifle anywhere. When I get around to doing an 80% that will truly be an "off the books" gun.

A driver's license and access to a walmart is all you need to get an AR down here. Our gov. wants to go to const. carry. We have a bill going through the process right now that should be on her desk by the end of the year. Right now the only thing you need a license for here is to carry in public.

I don't like the look of several inches of barrel sticking out past the GB. The slipover covers most of it, makes the rifle look a little shorter and adds weight to the front to help counter recoil. There is quite a difference in feel/balance when you hold it w/ or w/o the FH. Most of the ARs I have fired felt really light especially in the front. It should be a nice flat shooting rifle w/ it on. Since I don't have to pin it here the FH isn't a choice I only get to make once. So I figured what the hell, it's only $17. I'll give it a shot. Worst case scenario I don't like it and it ends up in a Karma here. [smile]

I'm also not a fan of the 16" carbine with a FSB.

Covering up the excess barrel was part of the plan since this was a budget clone build anyway.

20150321_233545.jpg

The extra weight combined with the integrated muzzle brake on the front of the shroud = smooth flat shooter.

Last edited:
Same here. I really don't like the M203 cutout. That's why I went with a dissipator-like setup with the mid-length handguards to cover it up a bit.

What I really wanted was a slipover FH that would meet right up to the gas block. Most of the ones out there were just a bit to long. I would have to shave off about .25-.33" of it. Or stack up crush washers, which I really didn't want to do. It's a shame since I really like the look of some of the others a lot more than I like the one I have.

I may just pick one up and send it to Ben to have him shave it down. But before I do that I have to look in to whether or not I would need to leave a few mils between the FH and the GB to account for the FH expanding when it gets hot. I don't want it pushing against the block so hard that it changes the zero of the front BUIS that will eventually be on the block.

Same here. I really don't like the M203 cutout. That's why I went with a dissipator-like setup with the mid-length handguards to cover it up a bit.

What I really wanted was a slipover FH that would meet right up to the gas block. Most of the ones out there were just a bit to long. I would have to shave off about .25-.33" of it. Or stack up crush washers, which I really didn't want to do. It's a shame since I really like the look of some of the others a lot more than I like the one I have.

I may just pick one up and send it to Ben to have him shave it down. But before I do that I have to look in to whether or not I would need to leave a few mils between the FH and the GB to account for the FH expanding when it gets hot. I don't want it pushing against the block so hard that it changes the zero of the front BUIS that will eventually be on the block.

since it's a slip over is your barrel a bull barrel? there are a couple companies who make slip on shrouds that look real neat.

even if it's a threaded barrel, you can find shrouds that screw on.

double tap

[laugh] @ DT

Is that shroud from here? http://www.kineti-tech.com/create-your-own-barrel-shroud/

If not check them out. They let you select the tube type, cap or FH for the end etc...? There are several different combinations I like there.

since it's a slip over is your barrel a bull barrel? there are a couple companies who make slip on shrouds that look real neat.

even if it's a threaded barrel, you can find shrouds that screw on.

No, it is a standard 16" M4 profile threaded barrel. I guess I did a better job of hiding the M203 cutout than I thought I did. [laugh] Woohoo!

By slipover I just meant that is covers the barrel. It is a 5.5" screw on shroud. The threads start just after the FH cuts. So it covers 4.5" of the barrel and the last inch is an actual FH.

Last edited:
[laugh] @ DT

Is that shroud from here? http://www.kineti-tech.com/create-your-own-barrel-shroud/

If not check them out. They let you select the tube type, cap or FH for the end etc...? There are several different combinations I like there.

Yup that's where I got my shroud from. I elected to get the functional muzzle brake for the tube and deal with the extra length it added.

I figured if I'm gonna add the extra length and weight, why not let it help with the performance of the rifle as well.

Last edited:
Nice looking build! Being a MA native, I kind of love YHM, and the guys at Ephesians not only build great products, but are a good bunch of guys! Love the color contrast!

Back
Top Bottom