• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

My first AR build.

Hey Shooters-
Thought Id share my first ground up AR build. They are a lot of fun to build. Hopefully I can get some Varmint with it soon.
Shooters
With great pleasure my first AR build. Went for a bench rest/varmint gun. Parts list:
Spikes Lower
PSA lower parts kit
KNS anti-rotation pins
Magpul MOE rifle stock w/ rifle buffer
Mako style pistol grip
WMD upper- NiB coated inner
WMD NiB charging handle
PSA complete NiB BCG
NDZ Army Charging handle flag
NDZ Don't tread on Me forward assist button
NDZ Spartin Dust cover
Extended American Flag take down pins
Red X Arms 20" 1:8 twist Bull barrel with diamond flute
Core 15 barrel nut
14' Fortis REV rail
Burris PEPR mount QD
Bushnell AR 4.5-18 x 40 optic
9"-15" bipod

I like it.... the diamond fluted barrel looks cool through the handguard.
One thing might just be angle of the camera but your rail/gas block looks off center in the front view picture

Mac- good point, I am not sure never noticed that before. I will have to see if it fires reliably with it a little off, fortunately with the Fortis rail I can slide it off without having to modify and one the barrel.

Mac- good point, I am not sure never noticed that before. I will have to see if it fires reliably with it a little off, fortunately with the Fortis rail I can slide it off without having to modify and one the barrel.
was your barrel dimpled for the gas block set screw? or pinned gas block? My set up was set screws. Barrel was not dimpled for set screws. I used a pencil to draw reference lines on the barrel and center of gas block to get it lined up. Once I had it range tested I removed a set screw and kissed the barrel with a cordless drill&bit to give one of the set screws a home to settle in.

Easy way to dimple a barrel for use with set screws is to install the gas block. If you got transfer punches you could use one screw while punching in the other hole.
Or just Tq the screws. Remove the screws and gas block. The screws will leave marks.
Use a cent drill to kiss the two spots .

I just use lock tight with no dimples and have not had any problems . My piston setup is from osprey.
a2azygyv.jpg

The piston is free floating . So it slams into the gas block. you can hear the piston sliding back and forth by just tilting it.

Back
Top Bottom